Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing out my coolant tank and will most likely loose some antifreeze. I went to the shopett (the base convenience store) today to get it and some oil for my next change and I wasn't surprised that they didn't have my 5-20 Mobil 1 Syn. and the only antifreeze they had was the Preston that's suppose to work in all brands. They let Firestone take it over and don't have anything any more. I went to Advanced auto and all they have is that for all cars stuff. Does anyone know who still sales the real Mopar antifreeze other than the dealership?
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
726 Posts
Got mine from the dealer just to be safe and not buy the incorrect formula. I have it mixed and ready to go anytime.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I might have to do that, I just figured it would cost an arm and leg there but I guess if I get $160 coolant tank maybe I can buy the right stuff to go in it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You got it. Are you getting a billet tank? That would be a nice addition. Just make sure you mix the coolant at a 50/50 ratio BEFORE you fill or add.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I accually got one from Show Parts and Service. someone on here (HOMIHV2 I think was the name) was showing how good they look and I had to have one. I didn't know Billet had them. These match the car real good and I think it will go good with the Billet stuff I have and the RPI painted engine cover I have and the fuse box cover I just ordered.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,122 Posts
itzrick,
Try to post some photos and some details of the process.
I'm wanting to do the same mod:smokin:
Thanks

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Search around for HOAT - Hybrid Organic Acid Technology, 5 year formulation (MOPAR) type antifreeze and it point to Valvoline Zerex G-05 antifreeze. About $7.50 for a gallon. Dealer will charge $20 for same stuff.

NAPA carries it and some Advance Autoparts, Autozone etc stores as well so call before driving around.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan on it but I just got the tank last night and want to have antifreeze on hand before I put it in. I already took the before pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Search around for HOAT - Hybrid Organic Acid Technology, 5 year formulation (MOPAR) type antifreeze and it point to Valvoline Zerex G-05 antifreeze. About $7.50 for a gallon. Dealer will charge $20 for same stuff.

NAPA carries it and some Advance Autoparts, Autozone etc stores as well so call before driving around.

If it's only $7.50 I'll need to get it for sure. They want $16 for the Preston that works in all cars.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I plan on it but I just got the tank last night and want to have antifreeze on hand before I put it in. I already took the before pictures.
Just siphon the existing coolant out of the tank into a clean container and reuse it. Just keep the big hose at the bottom high enough to keep the coolant from running out when you remove it. I removed my tank, painted it and put it back in and only lost a few drops.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If it's only $7.50 I'll need to get it for sure. They want $16 for the Preston that works in all cars.
Correction - some are seeing it for $10.50 at Autozone, it's a hit or miss if they have it in your area. Wal-Mart sometimes carries it as well but in the $15.00 range... just FYI

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's more of the range of antifreeze I was seeing today. It's not like I'm going to need alot but I'm use to the $5 a gallon days. I guess gas was less that $1 a gallon then too.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Just siphon the existing coolant out of the tank into a clean container and reuse it. Just keep the big hose at the bottom high enough to keep the coolant from running out when you remove it. I removed my tank, painted it and put it back in and only lost a few drops.
Thanks TorRed Dave:bigthumb:
My fluid evacuator that I use for my boat will work nicely!
Sounds like no need to buy more fluid if your careful.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
sweeet:thumbsup:
Looks classy.
Nothin like an easy mod to brighten up the R/T.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I use the Prestone yellow stuff.
When I had my car in for service they flipped their **** over me using the wrong coolant and put a note on my vin record. The guy said I will have issues getting warranty coverage with engine issues from now on which isn't a problem for me but maybe something to consider for others. Don't know if every dealer will have the same issue with it but needless to say... a negative note attached to your vin isn't a good thing as far as warranty hassle is concerned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts