Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love this shifter handle and it's original look...
The angle looks a bit aggressive and I am curious who is using this and it you like it...
Also if you have any idea where the best deals are :)

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN CHANGING AWAY FROM THE STOCK SHIFTER...
ONLY THE HANDLE :)
Thanx!
Gear shift Vehicle Car Center console Auto part Material property Bicycle fork

·
Super Moderator
17,242 Posts
a friend has one of these on a '16 Challenger - I installed a Barton shifter (it was already on the stock shifter) - it isn't any more awkward to use.

PS: I recommend changing the shifter. The '09 - '14 are the worst for "slop" the '15+ are somewhat better
for a shorter throw and more accurate feel, change the shifter...you'll appreciate it.

I've changed the shifters on both my Challengers and never looked back. I get in someone's stock (shifter) and its like "oh yeah, that's how these things are stock"

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a friend has one of these on a '16 Challenger - I installed a Barton shifter (it was already on the stock shifter) - it isn't any more awkward to use.

PS: I recommend changing the shifter. The '09 - '14 are the worst for "slop" the '15+ are somewhat better
for a shorter throw and more accurate feel, change the shifter...you'll appreciate it.

I've changed the shifters on both my Challengers and never looked back. I get in someone's stock (shifter) and its like "oh yeah, that's how these things are stock"
Thanx! :) I appreciate your input! :)

I am not even going to get into the stock shifter discussion (again) because it will pollute the actual issue I am investigating :)

A quick FYI that I will cut and paste to anyone else suggesting a complete shifter change :)
I have had numerous Hurst shifters in Corvettes I have owned...basically the same thing as the Challenger version...and I loved them...I could not agree more that they are light years better than stock...
Fast forward to nowadays...I am old now....I have a torn rotator cuff in my right arm...so the "sloppy" stock shifter is PERFECT for me...
What I am dreading is in a few years when I will have to downgrade even further to an automatic...
Sorry "automatic" guys....Stick is just my preference...automatics are for Cadillacs...

·
Super Moderator
17,242 Posts
I can see your point - due to that

unless your rotator cuff isn't repairable or surgery is too risky for you

- my dad and other relatives have had the surgery in their 70s and 80s with good outcomes.

I personally wouldn't forgo it as it continues to get worse and muscle atrophy set in, exacerbating the problem

Reactions: Okeesignguy

·
Premium Member
10,367 Posts
Thanx! :) I appreciate your input! :)

I am not even going to get into the stock shifter discussion (again) because it will pollute the actual issue I am investigating :)

A quick FYI that I will cut and paste to anyone else suggesting a complete shifter change :)
I have had numerous Hurst shifters in Corvettes I have owned...basically the same thing as the Challenger version...and I loved them...I could not agree more that they are light years better than stock...
Fast forward to nowadays...I am old now....I have a torn rotator cuff in my right arm...so the "sloppy" stock shifter is PERFECT for me...
What I am dreading is in a few years when I will have to downgrade even further to an automatic...
Sorry "automatic" guys....Stick is just my preference...automatics are for Cadillacs...
When I can no longer drive a stick, the car goes away. If I can’t row the gears then I’ll just buy something luxurious instead.

Reactions: Okeesignguy

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
I love this shifter handle and it's original look...
The angle looks a bit aggressive and I am curious who is using this and it you like it...
Also if you have any idea where the best deals are :)

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN CHANGING AWAY FROM THE STOCK SHIFTER...
ONLY THE HANDLE :)
Thanx!
View attachment 994006 View attachment 994005
My first Challenger was a 1974 slap stick auto, green with a green interior. I couldn't find a 4 speed manual although after I got the '74, a co worker offered me his 1973 340 w/Hurst shifter for $400 but I passed on it. (Yeah, I know, if we had only known). Since then I've had a 2010 Hemi Orange R/T Tremec, 2012 Header Orange Tremec, 2013 tried an auto R/T, didn't like the five speed and MDS at all, 2014 Header Orange Tremec R/T and since then a 2016 SXT. I put the Retro Hurst handle on all my manual R/Ts. When I saw the concept Challenger in 2006 the first thing I thought was, what, no Hurst pistol grip shifter and a parts bin generic center console? The retro shifter was a must have and every car show I had my R/Ts in I had compliments on it. I got mine from Steve White Motors, one of the sponsors here on CT.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack T/A 392 M6 Go Mango
58 Posts
I have the Hurst (Gunslinger) version in my 2019 T/A 392 with the stock shifter and love it. It feels so much better then the factory shift handle. At some point, I may upgrade to the Barton shifter and keep the pistol grip. Since I've never driven a car with a Barton, the stock shifter doesn't seem that bad to me, at least not enough to justify the cost.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I had one in my 2017 T/A 392 and loved it.

The shifter comes with two sets of mounting holes drilled; I cut off the excess and used the shortest set up. It's a very easy install.

It is definitely taller than the stock shift, which means the throws feel a bit longer, though you have better leverage for getting it into gear. I wouldn't use it if I was drag racing, but for retro-coolness factor, it can't be beat. I'd get another one for my Hellcat, but it's an A8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts