Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had someone tell me today that if I ever tried to sell my new Challenger that it would take a long time to sell because no one wants a 6 speed. I would only buy it if it was manual, I know I'm not the only person who wants manual only. :D

I get it, people like auto to drag race but those cars aren't fun to drive IMO. I had a 2006 SRT8 Charger that I sold in less than a year because I hated driving an automatic after coming out of a 6 speed Corvette. Who here would only buy an automatic car and why?

Reactions: Infidelgunner

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,050 Posts
A8 only for me. 392/A8 is a street monster IMO. I don't drag race.

With a manual, one has to learn how to shift smoothly and consistantly, and shift 100% of the time.

With the A8, one has to learn what it really can do.

FWIW, the A8 is a different world than the A5. No comparison, and I've had both.

Personal preference, but I'm sure they'll be plenty of folks preferring the 6M, along with the usual comments! 😆

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love rowing the gears....I've driven manuals for the last 35 years

Reactions: Infidelgunner

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
722 Posts
I, too, love to do my own shifting at times. Problem is, I am only going to have one Challenger at a time. Because of the traffic in my area, and arthritis, a manual transmission is not a viable option for everyday use for me. But if I could have a pair of Challengers, one would definitely be a manual.

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
I love rowing the gears....I've driven manuals for the last 35 years
I’m rowing my own for 46 years myself and wouldn’t have it any other way. I have a manual Challenger, Wrangler, Miata and a Mustang.
My son did a 9.99 1/4 mile in a 7 speed Corvette and beat an automatic next to him.
I do understand others have what fits their needs but if I can’t have a manual in a performance car I don’t want it. We did have an LS swapped Miata and that was an amazingly fun car with a stick. It killed Corvettes, Mustangs, Challengers and any comers.
I have a bad left knee but still like it.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SP WB - Hellraisin, A8, Plus Pckg, Tech Grp, Driver Conv, Alpine, Sunroof, Spoiler
241 Posts
I own an auto. I would also buy a manual, havent owned one in years bc ive been driving trucks and suvs.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,531 Posts
I would go with Auto Only now because since my Stroke and Back issues using a Clutch is not kind to me. My friend let me Drive his 2010 R/T 6 Speed Hemi Orange and though I can drive one still the Legs and Back were killing me around town with all the stops and starts.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
571 Posts
Auto for me as well. Have bad knee and ankle from playing sports. Shifting would cause un necessary pain.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Shaker Edition 28U
19 Posts
I just bought my 2015 auto w/ the TorqueFlite because I wanted my wife to enjoy the car too and she's just not going to take it out as much if it's a manual. I'm not sold one way or the other I think both have their purposes, situation depending.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Auto was the only way for me when I ordered my SP. No way did I want a manual. If I really feel the need to exercise my left foot I just grab a different set of keys.
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Car seat cover

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
559 Posts
I love both. When choosing my Challenger, I was torn between the two. Part of me wanted the manual, but living in Miami and the traffic here got me thinking especially since this was going to be my daily driver. Also, the wife refused to let me teach her how to drive stick. She wanted to occasionally drive the car.

Went with the A8, which is a beast and hella fun to drive. It shifts perfectly and I don’t regret my decision at all. Maybe one day down the line when I move and if I ever decide to trade in my car, I’ll maybe think about the 6 speed again.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
1,007 Posts
I have to agree with Charles 236 if I could own 2 Challengers, one would be a M6. However, since that is not a realistic goal I have an A8. I get my fill of manual transmissions driving my tractors and someday my Model A. Someday maybe I can get another one but until then, I will enjoy what I have and feel fortunate for that simple pleasure.😉

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,641 Posts
I test drove an M6, but that demonstrated it’s impracticality for me personally, so it’s been auto all the way.

If I’m daily driving it, no manual for me!

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm 55, still in good shape, I hate manuals. I can drive them but it seems pointless. Yet I feel I like the automatic for the same reasons feel they like the stick, that is feeling the car

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
331 Posts
This is a highly personal question with no wrong or right answer. Luckily, we get to have the CHOICE of one or the other. Who knows for how much longer.

For me personally, I wouldn't consider an automatic in a Challenger. It wasn't even a question when I went looking. The automatic is a few hundredths faster through the quarter, but mine will never see the track. For me, it's all about how it makes me feel.

I'm fortunate; I have no physical maladies which prevent me from clutching or shifting. I also genuinely enjoy driving the car every day, in all kinds of traffic. I feel so connected to the car by having control of the shifting; a higher level of "ownership", if you will. To be honest, I completely forget about shifting it's so natural. The only time I notice is when I get into a rental car on business and start stabbing at the floor with my left foot!

I feel it's a privilege to drive a manual, and enjoy doing it well. For me, it just fits the personality of the car so completely, and reaches back and enhances the retro legacy feel of the car. Plus, I think there's just a certain amount of cred that comes with owning/driving a stick.

But, as I said, this is highly personal, and we all get to choose what is right for us.

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
289 Posts
Had someone tell me today that if I ever tried to sell my new Challenger that it would take a long time to sell because no one wants a 6 speed.
It's simply a choice. Like Chocolate or Vanilla. Neither one is better than the other, just different. The first part of their statement is may likely be partially correct. It may likely take longer to sell, may not. The second part shows their ignorance.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I feel it's a privilege to drive a manual, and enjoy doing it well. For me, it just fits the personality of the car so completely, and reaches back and enhances the retro legacy feel of the car. Plus, I think there's just a certain amount of cred that comes with owning/driving a stick.
This sums it up nicely. I have my Challenger solely because it has a manual transmission.

·
Registered
502 Posts
i ordered my car ant it was a extremely difficult choice to check the automatic box, but lets face it folks the autos have made great strides in recent years and having 8 gears over 6 is also a improvement.

i would have bought a 6 speed had i found it on the lot exactly optioned how i wanted, but with the the 6 speed so ill never say never but the a8 is a great transmission and they typically are easier to sell as everyone can drive them

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have an 09 M6. I would have bought the automatic, but did not want the MDS in general, or the timing chain issues on an 09 with MDS. It now kind of sucks for me to drive it because of the stop n go traffic.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/STP A8
304 Posts
Interesting conversation, my current Challenger is a 2015 A8 transmission. It's my daily driver and being that I live in LA, it only made sense for me to choose auto over manual.

I previously owned a manual Dodge Neon and had tons of fun rowing through the transmission gears around town. But in traffic I would definitely get tired of shifting 1st to 2nd to neutral to 1st to neutral to 1st and on and on because of traffic. Definitely not fun and more tiresome.

That's why I decided to get an Automatic transmission in the Challenger. Car is a blast to drive with the added bonus of not having to deal with the clutch, especially in traffic. 😎

1 - 20 of 129 Posts