Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, not seriously considering. How many of us would consider selling our classic musclecar (I know there are quite a few owners here that own one) in order to pay for a new Hellcat challenger?

I've held on to my first car now for almost 40 years, it rarely gets used but could easily gain me the downpayment necessary to afford a new Hellcat. Its finally reaching the condition where I can drive it again, but really don't think it would see a lot of use other than taking it to local car shows and occasionally taking it for a drive around town to remember the good old days. Its by far more of an attention getter than a new challenger is, but i would get a lot more use out of a new Hellcat than i would out of the 69 charger r/t se thats been sitting in storage for 30 years. I've had fun working on it, rebuilding it to a better than first purchased condition. I could probably get 20 years of use out of the new car but would it be anywhere close to rewarding as owning my 1st car purchased as a teenager.

Anyone considering it? I already own a challenger i'm pretty happy with, but know i'd enjoy a hellcat as well, can't really justify spending 70k on a hellcat unless I liquidate old toys first, personally i think i'll just go get a better paying job than sell off the charger but it is tempting.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
364 Posts
I know you are not seriously considering selling your `69 Charger R/T for a hellcat --- but man, don`t do it!! lol. I would give anything to have my `68 383 Roadrunner that I had in High School back! You will most likely regret it if you actually did.
Of course my opinion and a buck fifty will buy you a cup of coffee... lol

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I wouldn't ...and it only makes sense to just wait a see what the actual price is gonna be set at on the Hellcat????

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Yes if I just had tons of money... I'm talking cash buy. But I don't so no.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
No

I had to sell my 67 Z28/RS in 2000, during a divorce. Not a single day has gone by since, that I do not think about it.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Personally, I would. Once you drive these modern muscle cars, owning, driving and maintaining those old relics almost seems more of a chore than a pleasure. Not to mention, when I go to car shows, I've seen enough old Mustangs, Mopars, Chevies for one lifetime, almost just walk past them now until something extremely cool catches my eye. You asked for opinions, hey that's just mine. Some people still get a kick out of owning, driving and maintaining those old relics.

·
Registered
416 Posts
remember the flack over demon seriously think there will be a hellcat old cars are for buying selling&parting out sold a 70 boss 2 bought a 06 gt mustang with 6 grand left over.sold a 68 superbee traded the stang on 13 rt challenger never looked back

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
IF I actually owned a classic (good running condition) Challenger/Charger there is NO WAY I would sell it for a new SC'd Challenger...would not even cross my mind as a possibility

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
New cars don't have nearly as much character as the classics do. Now, the new Challenger sure puts up a fight though! :icon_cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Why not sell your current challenger, keep the charger, and get the hell cat?
If I were going to dump that much money into a car I'd go for a new Stingray, two hookers and a weekend in Vegas. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Not just no, but HE// NO!

If I ever got that itch, I'd scratch it some other way than by selling the old R/T.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
The thought of doing so has never even momentarily flashed through my mind.

Apples and oranges.....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its always been a point of pride to still own my first car that i drove in high school, so many others claim they'll keep xxxxxxx car forever (heard it on the stealth/3000gt boards, the svt boards and here on this site) but when life intervenes and kids come along, wives can be fairly convincing to sell off old cars. I never listened to them before, but it did cross my mind a 650hp challenger or even a mr norm's 1000 hp version would be a replacement car i could enjoy more.

Selling the current challenger would hardly put a dent in the price of a new hellcat (approx 70k price i figure) 20k as a trade in would still leave me with a payment more than i have now. Even if i sold the challenger for 25k and the 91 stealth turbo for 7500 it would still not put me close enough on a hellcat. Only the charger holds the value high enough to make it possible (not probable just possible) as I could get close to 40k for it now.

No, i don't plan on selling the charger, its still one of one known to exist, although i have found another almost identical that wasn't an RT SE, it was the same color and optioned close to mine and it only has 50k orig miles and built on the same day as mine, mine has double that. the Y3 cream color has for some reason become much more desired today than it was back then, probably because they are rare, but finding one with a tan top and tan leather interior and woodgrain and a full fender tag/broadcast sheet it is certainly unique. And it sounds like a car ought to. It would be a sin almost to spend over 5 years rebuilding it only to sell it when i finally finish it. Plan to enjoy it for years to come. I can always drop in a 426 or 440 arrington motor in the challenger or supercharge it to get more oomph.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts