Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i have a interesting question. every time i brake my car the steering wheel will almost violently shake, this only happens at low speeds mainly between 40 to 30 then stops. it also happens at high speeds around 90 to 70 then stops. its very strange, the most interesting part is that it only happens under light braking. under hard braking its absolutely fine not shake of the shake is very minimal. any ideas guys and gals, i love this car but this shake is very very annoying

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Normally, when your steering wheel shakes during braking, it means you have warped front rotors.

I actually have the similar problem with my Toyota right now. Light braking, I get the shudder in the steering wheel. the harder I push, the less of a problem it is, though when I come near a stop, you can kinda feel the car lurch (kind of like a catching and releasing of the brakes) a bit due to the warped rotors.

A lot of hard braking from high speed will warp a rotor pretty fast.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, i kind of had a sneaky notion that was the problem...... ohhhh well guess its time to get those drilled and slotted rotors i have been eyeballing.... lol :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
thanks for the reply, i kind of had a sneaky notion that was the problem...... ohhhh well guess its time to get those drilled and slotted rotors i have been eyeballing.... lol :thumbsup:
My car does the same thing when braking at high speeds. A lot of shake in the wheel. I am not even going to mess around with the dealership replacing those awful OEM rotors. I have been eyeballing the Baer drilled/slotted rotors for the R/T.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
its hard to find rotors that dont do this after a while. I get it on my 2 olds auroras after 6000 or more miles. and these are good wagner rotors that were seasoned correctly. they just dont make em like they used to

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
....most times, what people think are "warped rotors" is actually uneven transfer from improper bed-in, poor braking habits, inadequate pads/components for the application, etc. If the problem is still in its initial stages (like it sounds like it may be) and the deposits have not formed into cementite, there are some things you may be able to do to resolve the issue.

The following article from Stop Tech discusses some of those possible solutions including the "warped disk" myth:

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

That's not to say warped disks never occur or that it's not your issue in this scenario, but more times than not, it is a problem related to transfer.

.....you may also find their other white papers interesting (discussing various topics of brake systems):

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

p.s. I would also check the obvious like your lug nuts to make sure they are tightened/torqued properly. Pulling the wheels and visually inspecting the components for any unusual signs is also a good idea.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Good additional info there, Kean.

I have a set of Powerslot slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads on the Corolla. They made it to about 20k miles before showing these symptoms. I also had a brand new G6 GTP hit about 7500 miles before the front brakes began these symptoms.

I wonder what constitutes poor braking habits, though. I bet everyone would be surprised.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I wonder what constitutes poor braking habits, though. I bet everyone would be surprised.
....(generally) over-driving the brakes, not letting them cool properly after repeated hard braking, keeping your foot on the brake when stopped after aggressive braking, etc. That's not to say that OEM brake systems are not going to have limits depending on the scenario/application or that some OEM systems really do suck (i.e. too small of the application, overheat easily, etc.). In some cases, pad/fluid/line choice can make a big improvement but I think it's obvious that technique will still play a major role.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
keeping your foot on the brake when stopped after aggressive braking,
Once absolutely I broke myself of doing this, I have never had another problem with pulsating brakes on any vehicle where I was the only driver and I've kept cars long enough to have worn out more than one set of rotors over the years. At the SRT Track Experience, they specifically asked everybody to please not sit with their foot jammed on the brakes after driving the road course.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The following article from Stop Tech discusses some of those possible solutions including the "warped disk" myth...
As soon as I saw 'shaking while breaking' my first thought was warped rotor. The article you posted just goes to prove you're never too old to learn something new. Interesting and made sense. Bookmarked that one for future reference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts