Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering how the Challenger holds up with higher mileage.
How's the power? Mechanics? Cosmetics? Finishes? Cracks in the leather? Any strange noises? Anything!

Please state year, trim and mileage. Tell us your story...thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Let's see... I drive about 5K per year so come back in 14 years and I'll let you know. :pimp:

(This is my way of subscribing)

Reactions: stevec3201

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I can get close to what you are looking for...

2009 R/T M6 66,500 miles

This beauty has been driven daily since December 2009. It still has the power to pull 2nd and 3rd gear scratches. It can still jump from 40mph to 95mph in a blink of an eye. The power is still definitely pulling hard. I don't have any rattles, leaks, squeakes or creaking that you might normally expect in a 5yr driven hard car. I have a sunroof and there are no issues with it either. The interior is spotless without any true signs of wear. This car is not garage kept either and has endured the hot SE Texas summers around Houston. The dash still looks a good as the day I got it. The exterior paint has held up well. It has the usual rock chips and such around the front end but that is to be expected in my opinion.

She has made 16 trips down the 1/4 mile and probably 5-6,000 miles of back roads spirited driving. We like to take these cars out on the twisty roads and drive them hard and they respond well to the challenge of 25mph curves at 60mph or better. Brakes are a sign of weakness during these rides and the clutch and gears have held up perfectly.

I will say that regular maintenance and regular care has been given to this machine by me and I think that has played into how well the car has held up and kept its appearance. I still look at this car everyday and enjoy the view as well as love the fact that I get to drive the machine everyday. I have only done minor mods, both appearance and power (the list is in the sig below).

Now the twist in the story is I am getting ready to sell this one as I am waiting for the 2014 Shaker I ordered. I stopped by Carmax in the area to see what they would give me. The guy checked my car and stated she was a beauty and the best condition challenger he had ever seen with those miles. The moral of the story is if you take care of the cars you will get miles and years of enjoyment from them. A buddy of mine just turned 100k on his SE and he has no issues with his either.

As someone once said, "not driving these cars is like saving your wife for the next guy"... Get out there and drive it like you stole it!

Chuck

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
These are the kind of threads that I like! Let's see those high milers! I have got 16k Miles on my R/T which I bought 10 months ago AND I live on an island where it takes me 25 minutes MAX to get from one end to the other. Go figure lol!

EDIT: I do realize that there is a high mileage thread but it definitely needs to be updated!

Reactions: raceheart77

·
Registered
347 Posts
2011 SE 74,050 Miles And Still Going Strong!No Cracks Un My Leather Seats No Mechanical Problems
The Usual light Bulb Changes,Oil Changes,No Major Problems So Far(Knock On wood)
Changed Out my Spark plugs,Differential Fluid Change,Transmission Fluid Change.
Had mines Since 28,000 miles.all I can tell u is to treat your car good We All Have great
Looking Cars No Matter What Trim Level it is.

·
Registered
404 Posts
55k on my 09 SRT. Little crack in the leather on the drivers seat. A few rock chips. Nothing major at all. Still breaks necks on the road.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Over 135K on a 2010 R/T Classic 6-speed. Issues.... none that I can really think of. Just replaced the OEM pads, and they still had life on 'em. Ripped out the little piece of weather stripping under the hood/radiator top plate a few years ago.

I'll try to address your questions... Leather's good...chips in paint, some minor checking in clear coat... still makes good power, but I'm starting to get some spark knock at high rpm's (not unusual for this many miles but is also dependent on fuel), has some rattles, transmission occasionally has a "synchro-lock" thing going on (has since new) - I just out muscle it and shove it where it needs to go :). I may need to tear into it and replace the synchros at some point. Oil pressure holds steady around 27 psi at idle. No complaints here :)

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,507 Posts
I've got a 2011 SE that was purchased brand new in Sept. '11, and I just clocked 83K miles (avg 2500+ miles per month).

The only problems I have had with the car were ones with TSBs on them or the subject of a recall, so no real "surprises" along the way.

I have several upgrades(tuner, TZM, SRT suspension, CAI, etc) which facilitate me driving the car with more gusto than I should, and it is still going strong with no signs of yielding to the torture yet.

I take good care of the drivetrain, interior, and exterior, so nothing to speak ill of there either. All have exceeded my expectations for longevity, given what I put them through on a daily basis.

Anytime someone asks me about the reliability of these cars, I don't hesitate to tell them it's been top notch for me. The caveat there is that I actually do regular maintenance and such, as everyone should, but we all know most don't.

Nuke

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,405 Posts
I just tripped 72k this am. The VVT oil solenoid failed at 20k and I had the the cracked drivers window plastic strip replaced at the same time. At 42k I had the TC failure. At 68k had the TC recall done. I replaced the front pads and rotors at 70k, couldn't stand the damn "shakes" on the brakes any longer...the pads probably had another 20k left in them. At 71k the thermostat broke and stuck open. She was at the dealer twice for the damn headliner. I finally fixed it myself very easily...removed and rotated the weather strip 180 degrees. I need to replace the passenger side window plastic strip, they won't do it under my extended warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is some good knowledge... just bought my Rallye 2 weeks ago and it is a daily driver. I want to mod her a little but my main concern is the amount of miles i will put on her... I estimate 1k miles per month just for the drive to work... i will keep the maintenance up thanks for the advise guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts