Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hit 1,000 miles and got my 1st oil change

im getting ready to play with the power a bit more

i havent turned off the traction control yet....anyone had any scary experience with turning it 1/2 or full off ?

is my car going to slide out of control into 2nd gear?

can you feel that the car is faster w/o the computer assisting your driving? or is it something so minor that it only shows up on 0-60 times as a .10 or .20

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
1/2 off is only going to allow you a few degrees of freedom on the tail before it steps in, where as full on, will keep it straight. Full off, if you didn't bring your A Game, you will be headed in the opposite direction :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have run mine both partial off and full off. I haven't gotten to crazy with it off, but I can definitely tell a difference. Some of the guys on these forums act like the car turns into a crazy beast that will instantly go into a ditch with the slightest touch of the pedal. Maybe it is due to me having grown up driving some powerful classic Mopars in very crazy ways, but to me it's really not bad even when everything is turned off.

I'd much rather take curves in my 2011 IE with all assists off than try and take my 69 Charger RT 440 through some curves. Here is what I have seen with the assists off. Taking off it's much easier to spin the wheels, but not unmanageable (the way the guys on these forums talk you'd think it was like driving on ice). The biggest difference is in the cornering. I've take. My 2011 SRT through some curves pretty fast, and with the assists on the car is really forgiving. Try and take the same curves with the assists off and you definitely feel the rear end trying to come around on you a lot easier.

Regarding acceleration, I haven't tested any doing timed acceleration tests both ways. Just playing around on the street I've gotten a 0-60 time on the EVIC of 4.9 seconds just by using auto stick and putting my foot (almost) to the floor (almost because I am on public streets after all).

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Ramm,

Heck in my Demon I couldn't go through bends more than 40 MPH, the punched out 440 wasn't the issue.. the skinnies up front would bend! :)

I'm not saying the 392 is a Viper.. Trust me just about every Viper owner that has ever gotten into the throttle, has done a 360! But I'm sure under the right circumstances you could go around. It would be unwise to be half way through a turn and apply pedal in a willy nilly fashion, you could lose control. But if you drive correctly, this thing will pull through a bend without so much as a grunt from the tires. I've oven my share of Vette's the last one being a 2000 Z51 car and I'll throw this into any of the same bends, as hard as I did my C5....

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Ramm,

Heck in my Demon I couldn't go through bends more than 40 MPH, the punched out 440 wasn't the issue.. the skinnies up front would bend! :)

I'm not saying the 392 is a Viper.. Trust me just about every Viper owner that has ever gotten into the throttle, has done a 360! But I'm sure under the right circumstances you could go around. It would be unwise to be half way through a turn and apply pedal in a willy nilly fashion, you could lose control. But if you drive correctly, this thing will pull through a bend without so much as a grunt from the tires. I've oven my share of Vette's the last one being a 2000 Z51 car and I'll throw this into any of the same bends, as hard as I did my C5....
He said "willy nilly" ! Love it! Hey Bro, thanks for the pics! So me and girlfriend are possibly going "halfsies" on a TO 392. Not to hijack thread but can you pm me a price range you think is fair? We're coming in w/$15k-$20k down. Ignore hijack portion of thread ( sorry Huggster ):)

·
Registered
202 Posts
How can you tell when TC is fully "off" and can someone please tell me exactly how it is turned FULL OFF? I have 1527 miles on my 2011, I still haven't been bothered by the skip shift it's supposed to have and I've held the TC button in for at least 30 seconds and it didn't make a difference from just pushing it once as far as I could tell.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Pushing the button once, puts the Traction control into "Performance Mode" it will still keep you from going around in circles, but allows for more tail out in the turns. Pressing and holding the Traction Control button for 10 seconds will trigger a chime sound and the EVIC will say "ESP Disabled"

·
Registered
399 Posts
To add to what toxic said, you also have to be stopped to turn it full off.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
To add to what toxic said, you also have to be stopped to turn it full off.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that.. You actually need to be in Park first. Then hit and hold the button for 10 seconds and it will chime.

Details Details..... :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
LOL, well that explains it. I was moving when I tried to disable it. I wanted to see how it acted with it off. I have to say, I'm very impressed with this car. Having had many performance cars in my stable, this is by FAR my favorite. It's not the fastest, but there's just something about it that makes me WANT to drive the damn thing.
I absolutely love this car!
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
266 Posts
LOL, well that explains it. I was moving when I tried to disable it. I wanted to see how it acted with it off. I have to say, I'm very impressed with this car. Having had many performance cars in my stable, this is by FAR my favorite. It's not the fastest, but there's just something about it that makes me WANT to drive the damn thing.
I absolutely love this car!
Thanks guys.
HEMI FEVER, CATCH IT!:werd:

·
Registered
7 Posts
half off mode = awesome. after rolling over 600 miles, i finally decided to do an all out 0-60 run and monitor time w/ the evic. the results...4.64 seconds and surprisingly, limited wheel spin. i definitely didn't dump the clutch, but i did give it some rpms (about 1700).
that said, the corners are less forgiving than with esp on. i definitely slid the rearend out there further than i expected a few times. but then again, that's why this is so much more fun to drive than my '08 srt8.

all in all....mopar really out did themselves on this one! i love my '08, but the '11 392 blows it out of the water in the performance and handling categories.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
MOPAR in the blood, HEMI Fever, DODGE on the brain. Once I bought my first Dodge I was hooked.:bowdown: No other maker works for me. I get in my buddys cars and my catch phrase is "your can doesn't have that, Dodge does." They don't like that much:scratchhead:

HEMI FEVER, CATCH IT!:werd:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Careful with the ESP fully off. I went around a corner at about 3/4 throttle and ended up doing a 360 degree drift. Thank god there were no cars around when it happened.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've run mine 'full off' doing some 0-60 runs. I didn't have a good surface, a chip sealed road (I also live at 5,000 ft. above sea level). 4.90 seconds in 'full off' mode. With ESP 'full on', the best I could do is 5.98. You can feel the traction control in 'full on' mode. I'm probably a more conservative driver than most of you, but I can tell you that straight ahead WOT driving in 'full off' mode is very manageable.

Even while turning in 'full on' mode in 1st gear, I've had some scary moments. It all depends on how you drive. I upgraded from a 2009 R/T, so it has been a massive adjustment to driving a car with 100 more HP. It is, however, a lot more fun!

·
Registered
202 Posts
MOPAR in the blood, HEMI Fever, DODGE on the brain. Once I bought my first Dodge I was hooked.:bowdown: No other maker works for me. I get in my buddys cars and my catch phrase is "your can doesn't have that, Dodge does." They don't like that much:scratchhead:

I left my wife's cousin test drive mine over the holiday weekend. He has a Honda S2000 and has always been a rice lover :notallthere:
He came back and said..OMG, I love that thing I need to trade in my car.
They sure are great to drive that's for sure.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I haven't turned my ESP completely off yet but just turning it half off had me doing major burnouts with no effort and made it extremely easy to swing the ass end when taking a curve or making a hard left or right. I generally keep the ESP on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts