Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 'learning' transmission isnt cutting it......when i decide to get on it its never in the right gear or takes too much time to downshift.i dont want to beat on the car full time to make it learn to shift more agressively....im starting to just use auto stick full time...i feel stupid, but it reacts the way i want it to...it seems to even shift quicker in autostick...quicker and harder....

anyone else doing this?

im hoping when a tuner comes out that it will make the auto shifting more agressive

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I'm predominately in Autostick unless I want to use MDS. I've always used Autostick on all my vehicles. I agree that it never seems to downshift fast enough in Drive for my taste.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The car definitely shifts faster and harder in autostick mode. My 0-60 times are at least 2/10 of a second faster in autostick mode. And I can really feel it shifting hard and really pushing me back in my seat as it shifts.

I agree about the "learning" transmission. Frankly I drive my car hard almost all of the time. I have over 2000 miles on the car, and when it shifts in normal mode even when I'm accelerating hard it feels like it takes forever to shift.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I wish you could turn off the automatic upshift feature in autostick. I have tall gears and if you get wheelspin it will upshift causing a slight bog.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Do you just put in auto stick mode & leave it ?
I'm used to paddle shifters but auto stick seemed like
it stayed in 1st way too long

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
The "learning" automatic will "dance" like you are on a race course, but the trick is you have to really be driving it like you are on a race course...lots of hard braking, lots of g-forces in the turns, heavy throttle. ;) Can't really do that on any given drive on public streets, of course. If you're lucky, it catches on and goes into boy-racer mode by your 2nd hard turn'n'burn in a quick succession of turns.

When you want immediate action, the best recourse is simply to pilot the thing yourself in Autostick. That's not really a failing of the drivetrain. That is why Autostick was put there...so you can really get explicit with your use, right from the get-go.

If you want better response while in default-automatic mode, be sure to be very exaggerated and liberal in your throttle motions (think, 50-100%). If you are doing it right, it will kickdown to 1st or 2nd very quickly while at city street speeds, or 2nd or 3rd while at hwy speeds. You need to really use that throttle, not only to trigger a kickdown, but also to energize the torque converter for some torque multiplication. If you don't get the latter working for you, then the 3.06 axle ratio really acts like the tall gear that it is.

All bets are off, once the thing gets heatsoaked, of course. ;) The only thing that can save you in that context is ensuring you have the highest octane you can get in the tank, and/or have a setup that properly ducts fresh cool air to your airbox with minimal mixing of any hot engine bay air. ;)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive been shifting it full time in autostick all day today.....when i went back to automatic it seemed to do better....it still gave a crap shift from 1st to 2nd when i floored it on an onramp, but snapped from 2nd to 3rd quite nicely

looks like unless im on the highway im doing autostick full time...

something else i noticed is how slowly the gas pedal reacts...its like a 1/2 second off...when you floor it it doesnt react 'boom' on the spot...it sits for a bit.....i shifted down to 2nd to rev my engine for a challenger going by and unless i held my foot for a bit on the floor it did nothing....a quick down up motion of my foot resulted in nothing happening...it didnt rev....it acted like it never happened...

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Yes, essentially your foot motion was filtered-out as a "high-frequency" by the electronic throttle control.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
ive been shifting it full time in autostick all day today.....when i went back to automatic it seemed to do better....it still gave a crap shift from 1st to 2nd when i floored it on an onramp, but snapped from 2nd to 3rd quite nicely

looks like unless im on the highway im doing autostick full time...

something else i noticed is how slowly the gas pedal reacts...its like a 1/2 second off...when you floor it it doesnt react 'boom' on the spot...it sits for a bit.....i shifted down to 2nd to rev my engine for a challenger going by and unless i held my foot for a bit on the floor it did nothing....a quick down up motion of my foot resulted in nothing happening...it didnt rev....it acted like it never happened...
After plenty of experimenting with mine in auto-stick mode, if let's say, your in 2nd or 3rd. It will be sluggish because it won't downshift on it's own (in an aggressive fashion I mean). example, youre in 3rd and only going 30-40 mph it will feel like a pig.
Same I noticed in 2nd approx. 15-20 mph, it just kind of bogs down. You need to play with it more and come out of full AUTO and find a nice mid range RPM 3000 to 4000 then stomp on it! It will go! At least mine does like a rocket. Find that sweet spot!! I really feel (with mine at least) you have to be and have an aggressive mindset with the autostick. Otherwise just leave it in Full AUTO anyway. Mine f****ing hauls either way but you gotta romp on it. No half ass pedal like in my video you so "kindly" pointed out to me. Get the speed up and autostick it down. I can be in full AUTO and drop mine in 3rd via auto stick at "about" 60-65, hammer it and watch it go to 80 mph REAL quick like. Mind you, I'm still up shifting as needed.....hope you can decipher that. It's not a prius:smokin: Don't drive it like one! Love You Huggy!

- Dino

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I think what it boils down to is that you need to get it

·
Registered
144 Posts
Huggy vs Dino ! Main event. Wrestlemania!!!!!!!! LOL !! You guys seem to have a little rocky relationship as of late, its cracking me up . LOL

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I think what it boils down to is that you need to get it into whatever gear puts you in at least 3000 rpm or above. Otherwise, there is just not enough low end to vigorously pull whatever gear you are in that puts you at below 3000 rpm for that road speed.

That's the thing with selecting your own gear right from the start. If you are going 30-35 mph down a street in default-automatic mode, it's just naturally going to resume running in 3rd or 4th gear, when you really need to be in 2nd, if you want to speed away (possibly even 1st, if your intent is to really kick a beehive :p ).
Yeah what the randycat said!!:guiness:

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Huggy vs Dino ! Main event. Wrestlemania!!!!!!!! LOL !! You guys seem to have a little rocky relationship as of late, its cracking me up . LOL
Ding-Ding! he squats 600lb though so I dunno....All I squat is my girlfriend, who's going halfsies on a T. Orange 392, So I gotta be alive to drive that! I will however take the high road on this one, as I'm a lover not a fighter. Besides, I love trees and if "huggy" is hugging one, I'll be right behind, hugging him! LMAO!!:browsmiley:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I'm glad you quoted my earlier post, because the webserver just lost all of my original + additions, unfortunately. :mad:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im actually not a tree hugger...its a name i stole from the wife long ago...i just use her name.....she has been known to hug a tree in her younger years, but believe me we dont vote tree hugger...

my new photo looks like my wife is hugging a tree, but that tree is actually my man hood...its not a pretty one, but its huge!

i was laying down one day and took this photo of her

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
im actually not a tree hugger...its a name i stole from the wife long ago...i just use her name.....she has been known to hug a tree in her younger years, but believe me we dont vote tree hugger...

my new photo looks like my wife is hugging a tree, but that tree is actually my man hood...its not a pretty one, but its huge!

i was laying down one day and took this photo of her
Oh yeah...."well mine may be short but it sure is skinny" LOL!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've driven almost exclusively in auto mode. I believe that the learning auto-tranny really sux. Due to traffic conditions I'm unable to go over 25% very often. My tranny has definitely learned this and switched into some type of geezer mode.

In auto-stick (manual) mode the car is right here, right now. Once I get better at learning the best shift points, I bet I'll be spending much more time in manual mode.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Unless you are able to drive the car aggressively on a sustained basis (lots of hard braking, significant cornering g-forces, and winding out that engine with heavy throttle), the sport shifting automatic mode is only going to be a fair weather friend. That leaves the default automatic shifting program which really only plays to 2 kinds of operation- placidly rolling down the road in the highest gear possible, or kick-a-bear-in-the-nads mode when you really open the throttle to trigger aggressive gear kickdown. It's really difficult to explore much middleground in the powertrain w/o inducing that aforementioned "boy-racer" shifting mode (heavy braking, heavy cornering, lot's of throttle).

Therein is ironically where you can greatly exploit the autostick mode (whereas you would think autostick was there when you want to get "extreme" with the car). You pick the gears as needed (so that you stick in that 3000 rpm or above powerband zone), and you can explore more moderate throttle to just control the engine load (rather than trying to also trigger and hold gear kickdowns with the throttle position). Torque converter multiplication will also be more active in this style of use, which will make the whole car feel more peppier.

1st and 2nd are your moderate acceleration gears to go to while in-town, while 3rd is the moderate, acceleration gear you use only if you are already at typical hwy speeds. (65+ mph?)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts