Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
669 Posts
Yup, it does such a fine job. Of course the throttle body must be removed to clean it. I also have a throttle body spacer just so it can collect more of the gunk coming into the engine. The spacer doesn't do anything else.
Yea, brake cleaner is great stuff, I've used it to clean firearms. Gets rid of most carbon quickly and easily gets in difficult places. I just never had a TB that was dirty enough to tempt me to use brake cleaner on it. Well, not yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have seen this same issue with oil collecting in the intake on Jaguar/Land Rover intakes, The Cause was always with the breather or PCV valve/diaphragm , most cases were in colder climates where the oil vapors would collect and freeze then turn to goo in the PCV , if you have a catch can that fills up, fix the root cause which is likely the valve/PCV (replace it)

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Hellcat has a special system that reduces the need for a catch can but the only way the OEMs would add one is if it drained automatically into the pan and guess they don't feel it's enough of an issue to go thru with the extra complexity and expense.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
The 392 also comes with an air/oil separator located towards the back on the intake. This feature was added in 2011 when the 392 came out, a factory attempt and doing what a catch can does.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FWIW,

I have a catch can on my 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 and in 28,000.00 miles the can has collected an oil/vapor/watery mix that filled a 16 ounce water bottle.

The thought of that mixture being deposited into the intake of my Ram or Scat Pack is worth the money.

Mike

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
429 Posts
No delete option?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,295 Posts
How is it possible to talk about catch cans for 17min...which I only caught the last minute? That said was there any mention of how blowby oil can lower the effective octane of the air-fuel mixture entering the cylinder? All I can say is I have 2 5.7 engines with one running a catch can and the other one that is not. Guess which one has more carbon build up on the piston top?

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
429 Posts
How is it possible to talk about catch cans for 17min...which I only caught the last minute? That said was there any mention of how blowby oil can lower the effective octane of the air-fuel mixture entering the cylinder? All I can say is I have 2 5.7 engines with one running a catch can and the other one that is not. Guess which one has more carbon build up on the piston top?
Wow you were quick. I deleted it rather soon after because it was so long but yes, he explains a lot.
There are others too. I guess it's just a matter of opinion and this wasn't just specified to the Hemi.

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,789 Posts
Whether or not running with a CC is better than running without one will always be a contentious debate, and it will likely never be resolved one way or the other because it is really just a general theory that’s too broad in scope to have a definitive answer.

However, if we narrow it down some, like say, to a specific engine, then the debate becomes much more lopsided...

Example: the venerable, if anemic, Dodge 3.5L engine that was the go-to V6 for early 2000s and 2010s LXs.

Verdict: running without a CC would almost surely result in a P1004 DTC eventually, and that would be a costly fix if someone else were paid to diagnose and fix it.

On the flip side, running a CC on that engine (and keeping it emptied) could keep that DTC and its underlying condition at bay indefinitely.

Future threads on this topic can all be boiled down to something like this:

Does the modern Hemi need one? Prob not.

Does the modern Hemi benefit from running one? Eh, maybe...certainly won’t hurt, so why not, right?!?

Are there any modern engines that need to run one? Yep, the Dodge 3.5L. Run without one at your own peril.

Any others? Probably, but that’s the only one I know of from personal experience.

Should I run one? Sure, sounds good!

What happens if I don’t? Probably nothing.

So then should I...
Look, it’s like Yoda said in the first Star Trek, “Do-do, or don’t do-do, I care not. Butt you should wipe, and hands you should wash. Comprende??

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,789 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,605 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,471 Posts