Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have forged aluminum wheels and for some reason every says that's the best to go. is this because they last longer, or just more solid or what? Just wondering what all the hub bub is about for these.

Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
From the web:

Forged
The ultimate in one-piece wheels. Forging is the process of forcing a solid billet of aluminum between the forging dies under an extreme amount of pressure. This creates a finished product that is very dense, very strong and therefore can be very light. The costs of tooling, development, equipment, etc., make this type of wheel very exclusive and usually demand a high price in the aftermarket.

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
Lighter and stronger than a cast alloy wheel.

Significantly more expensive from a manufacturing standpoint over cast version.

Reactions: OmahaRumble

·
Registered
932 Posts
For the same reason a forged crankshaft is preferred over a cast one. Strength. The forging process compresses and folds the metal as its being formed, making the microscopic structure more aligned and uniform. Forged metals are denser and a little heavier per cubic centimeter than the same type of metal out of a casting process, but the extra strength means that less total metal can be used so the finished part can be lighter overall.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Forging makes equal or more strength with less material compared to cast.
Look at police steel cast wheels. Strong as hell but weigh alot.
Casting has high pressure, gravity and some other methods.
I know a few who bent and broke rims with forged wheels. It all depends on who makes it and how it is done.
...if you got the bucks..forged wheels are the best choice for performance cars

·
Registered
407 Posts
Several here have touched on your answer. The forging process makes a wheel stronger and lighter, using less material than a cast process.

I think what you want to know is the benefit. The wheel weight is a un-sprung rotational mass, with a rotational inertia that affects the car to a greater degree than the weight of the rest of the vehicle. Acceleration, braking (which is a negative acceleration) and turning are greatly affected by wheel weight. Wheel diameter also comes into play, as our drag racing brothers here know. Check out the wheel diameters of F1 cars. Less diameter decreases both the wheels weight and the rotational inertia.

Folks spend a lot of money on engine bolt on material for minimal gains, when they could be picking up speed and handling by reducing the weight and diameter of the wheel. Adding lightness, as Sir Colin Chapman taught.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all! Now that I know it makes sense why they are sought after over alloy wheels. All the more reason to keep my 20" Heritage rims. Even if I wanted another wider or fancier forged wheel it will cost big bucks which I don't have. LOL

:icon_eek:

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Thank you all! Now that I know it makes sense why they are sought after over alloy wheels. All the more reason to keep my 20" Heritage rims. Even if I wanted another wider or fancier forged wheel it will cost big bucks which I don't have. LOL

You can have your wheels widened for a LOT less than the cost of a new wheel if its just a case of wanting 10 - 10.5 wide wheels...

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Omaha, I'm sorry to thread hijack but I do have a question. Your wheels are forged, are the new wheels forged on the 2011+ classics?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Omaha, I'm sorry to thread hijack but I do have a question. Your wheels are forged, are the new wheels forged on the 2011+ classics?
I don't believe they are. I know that my wheels are polished forged aluminum. The Envy wheels don't appear to be forged. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't believe they are. I know that my wheels are polished forged aluminum. The Envy wheels don't appear to be forged. I could be wrong though.

someone else assured me they are not forged, couldn't say how he knew that and that Dodge just said they were forged when they're not.. but,
my 2013 Classic II (replaced the Heritage) wheels are for sure Forged. not only does Dodge say so right on the window sticker, I went by a wheel repair shop
and the fella showed me how to spot the difference between Forged and Cast wheels. they may be produced in Taiwan but they are not not cast.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts

If you like a certain style of SRT wheels, you should jump on them then. I think every wheel that is SRT branded or came on a SRT vehicle is forged aluminum, and you can get them cheap on the forums in the used section!!! The only cast-aluminum SRT wheels came on the Cores and Superbees, some of them have optional forged wheels too though.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
No idea whom would tell you the Heritages are cast, there is also cold and hot forged. If you polish your wheels to chrome plate, they are the waviest forged you have ever seen (in normal world a sure sign of casting), and had pictures of broken ones from a friends car getting T-Boned, sure broke like cast! ;)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Omaha, were your 2010 Heritage wheels made in the U.S.A. or Taiwan like my Classic II's? wondering since they changed the Heritage wheels slightly in 2011..if the country of origin/mfg changed too.. :)

mR Bee, have you ever looked at a set of Alcoa SRT FORGED WP3's? I have a set that are marked made in U.S.A. and those are the wavy-est spokes you could imagine.. when I saw these up close I thought they had been repaired or something but since then everyone I see looks the same way.. Dodge does not specify "cold" or "hot" forged and I don't know the difference honestly but I do understand "forged" compared to "cast" in general terms so I'm saying I'm no expert ....

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Omaha, were your 2010 Heritage wheels made in the U.S.A. or Taiwan like my Classic II's? wondering since they changed the Heritage wheels slightly in 2011..if the country of origin/mfg changed too.. :)

mR Bee, have you ever looked at a set of Alcoa SRT FORGED WP3's? I have a set that are marked made in U.S.A. and those are the wavy-est spokes you could imagine.. when I saw these up close I thought they had been repaired or something but since then everyone I see looks the same way.. Dodge does not specify "cold" or "hot" forged and I don't know the difference honestly but I do understand "forged" compared to "cast" in general terms so I'm saying I'm no expert ....

:thumbsup:

Cool find Diver! I will check once I get off of work and able able to get to my computer. Will ya 'cha know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
From the web:

Forged
The ultimate in one-piece wheels. Forging is the process of forcing a solid billet of aluminum between the forging dies under an extreme amount of pressure. This creates a finished product that is very dense, very strong and therefore can be very light. The costs of tooling, development, equipment, etc., make this type of wheel very exclusive and usually demand a high price in the aftermarket.
Exactly why they are much better

1 - 19 of 19 Posts