Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general non tech question. As we know the challenger has factory shorties. So why are headers illegal? Esp if using catyletic converters?

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,205 Posts
Federal law to touch perfect working cats, I went from 2 1/4 pipe with SIX cats down to a 2 1/2" two high flow X pipe on our mustang. No emissions test here as it too old of a car. On a 215 crank HP car ROFL !!!!

Wanted better sound was main reason.

So in short its about sound VS HP VS cost on this mod.
Unless a track car its hard to justify the cost of long tubes and catted X pipe...............

Would I like to do it some day, hell yes as long tubes sound sick IMOP !!

·
Registered
120 Posts
As long as the emissions of the vehicle meet or exceed factory specifications AND they are certified emissions compliant then they shouldn't be "illegal". Sometimes aftermarket performance cats won't meet specs. OR they don't want to spend the money to test their products to get them certified by the EPA. Also if the cats have to be moved further back to accommodate long tube headers they will likely not perform as well as the factory set up. They mount the cats as close as possible to the engine so they will "light off" or get up to temperature as fast as possible so they will work properly. Move even factory cats further away from the engine and the car will likely not meet emissions requirements.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
72 Posts
Illegal where? In Oregon headers are legal although there are somewhat arbitrary noise ordinances involving exhaust systems. Most vehicles are required to pass emissions testing periodically but headers are not even looked at by DEQ.

Of course US States have a patchwork of laws and ordinances so what's legal in one state, city or township may not be legal elsewhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True. Patchwork between different states and regulations. In my county in NV there is no sound ordinance and no emissions. But 5 miles away in Cali you cannot modify anything on your vehicles. I heard that with headers it wouldnt pass visual in states that have smog checks that is why I wondered.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
In Alabama it's wide open. No emissions testing. Very lenient on noise. You can do anything short of fabricating your own car. I actually see "home made" cars occasionally but they are off the road pretty quick.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Alabama it's wide open. No emissions testing. Very lenient on noise. You can do anything short of fabricating your own car. I actually see "home made" cars occasionally but they are off the road pretty quick.
I know good and well that! Grew up in Winston co Alabama near Cullman. Didnt have insurance til I joined the Air Force at Maxwell/Gunter in 1998!

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I know good and well that! Grew up in Winston co Alabama near Cullman. Didnt have insurance til I joined the Air Force at Maxwell/Gunter in 1998!
That's 45 minutes from me. Beautiful area!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Addison was my town. Class of 93. Heres my prom pic in a 1978 trans am headers into glasspacks!! Thats why I love sound!!!
20181002_215507.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Yes Addison was my town. Class of 93. Heres my prom pic in a 1978 trans am headers into glasspacks!! Thats why I love sound!!! View attachment 1021447
Oh yes, driven through Addison many times. 78' was the year I graduated HS. My HS car was a 68' Thunderbird with a 429 CID Thunderjet 4V with straight pipes! Love good exhaust. My new Scat goes in Thursday to have Dynomax Race Bullets installed. Little nervous about it. But we'll see!

Reactions: PCP392

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the flowmaster outlaws full setup incl the xpipe. It is quiet on idle but opens up under acceleration. You should like it

641236610.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does it vary by town/county? I thought you couldnt touch any part including the muffler or risk impound

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nothing like that in IN.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,698 Posts
Illegal where? In Oregon headers are legal although there are somewhat arbitrary noise ordinances involving exhaust systems. Most vehicles are required to pass emissions testing periodically but headers are not even looked at by DEQ.

Of course US States have a patchwork of laws and ordinances so what's legal in one state, city or township may not be legal elsewhere.
State laws on this subject are all over the map so to speak, but federal law prohibits the modification of any emissions related system on the vehicle. This includes the exhaust.

Have not delved into this too deeply but some states, most notably CA, allow for some aftermarket parts, as long as they are CARB (CA Air Resources Board compliant (CA's EPA...) and have the sticker. CA also has a database of aftermarket converter makers one can buy from if one doesn't want to pay the (generally) very premium price automakers charge for factory converters.

·
Vendor
12,970 Posts
most reputable businesses are now staying far far away with anything that involve headers and or cats, too much liability

the following is now a requirement from a major supplier

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is exactly the form they wanted me to sign! And certify that I would not be registering my said vehicle with VIN provided on any highway or street. I live in a county where there is no emissions testing, yet I purchased the catyletic converters instead of straight piping it. I went with a competitor, and they did not have this requirement whatsoever.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree. Didn't want to give the name of the company but dealt with them directly. The headers ship out 21st.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts