Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least where I live a lot of dealers have used challengers. A lot of them are in awesome shape with very low miles. For example a dealership near me has had 3 different used hellcat widebody challengers in the last 6 months. I saw one over the weekend and my God was it beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice, doesn't capture the depth of the dimensions. In any event they have 2 hellcat widebody challengers right now. One has less than 800 miles and the other less than 1500 miles. It got me thinking. Why would anyone get rid of this car with such low milage, and so many? This isnt your low trim model. Someone probably special ordered it. Could this be due to them having a lot of issues and people dumping them? Maybe the maintenance is so much they were dumped before the warranty runs out. You see this a lot with Mercedes and bmws. Do you guys see this too?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Most likely young people buying and then not being able to afford them.

Lots of people around that can’t actually pay for the car trying to get into one.

It isn’t unique to the challenger.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,294 Posts
new w/ low miles: cant/dont want to afford the payment, cant/dont want to afford the insurance, cant afford/get the tickets (pick one, or two) this is the case in the upper trim levels. Also, many were probably implulse buys from less than true enthusiast level buyers.
Lower trims are often traded in for higher trim levels (or other cars) while still having low miles, leaving a surplus of those avail. There was a time I traded in cars for the next latest/greatest nearly every 12-18 months.
Then you can factor in that to most people a 2010 looks like a 2014 and a 2015 looks near identicle to a 2018..driving by a dealership its hard to know that the used challenger on the lot is actually 4yrs old with 90K miles on it and was due for a trade in. I see alot on lots too, but it maybe simply that I am keyed in and they catch my eye faster.

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
809 Posts
Then you can factor in that to most people a 2010 looks like a 2014 and a 2015 looks near identicle to a 2018..driving by a dealership its hard to know that the used challenger on the lot is actually 4yrs old with 90K miles on it and was due for a trade in. I see alot on lots too, but it maybe simply that I am keyed in and they catch my eye faster.
Agree.

Most none Challenger enthusiasts couldn't tell a 2008 from 2018, with out seeing them side by side.

Lots of Mustangs and Camaros on the used market to.

When this mid-engine Corvette lands on the sales floor, I imagine you will see a fair amount newer, low mileage, front engine Corvettes being traded as well.

Not a bad time to be shopping for used performance cars.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As the Challengers get better looking and have more options available I'm sure a portion of them are trade in's for a newer version. I was looking at used 2015 and up before they came out with the widebody option on a non Hell Cat. I was sold immediately on that package so there was no option at the time other than ordering a brand new one, which I did. Since I got everything I wanted the first time I doubt there is a trade in, in my future, but lots of people just want the latest, greatest now.

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
All the above plus, the Challenger has been in production for a very long time now.

Reactions: mvale

·
Registered
958 Posts
A lot of them are rental fleet cars that are back in the used car market. I see a lot of base R/T's with no other option than an automatic transmission. At the higher end I think it's a case of payments and insurance premiums.

·
Registered
629 Posts
In any event they have 2 hellcat widebody challengers right now. One has less than 800 miles and the other less than 1500 miles. It got me thinking. Why would anyone get rid of this car with such low milage, and so many?
It wouldn't surprise me if some owners got scared. Not that it takes a genius to predict that 707 to 797 hp will make a car perform a certain way, but maybe they underestimated the car, or over estimated their driving abilities?

·
Registered
73 Posts
A lot of them are rental fleet cars that are back in the used car market. I see a lot of base R/T's with no other option than an automatic transmission. At the higher end I think it's a case of payments and insurance premiums.
2nd that,I see a bunch with 15 to 20 plus thousand miles on odometer and their only a year old model. I surf the Dealer web sights at work in my spare time just to see whats out there.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You belong to this forum and still wonder why there are so many used Challengers? LOL. A lot of people want the latest and greatest and don't care how much they are losing on the trade in. Roll the balance over onto a Hellcat and four months later are struggling with payments. The low miles, I mean really low, usually indicate that the car has been taken care of, in most cases, and you can score some great deals.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A word of warning. I recently bought a Dodge Charger Pursuit I'd been searching for via the net. Took me about nine months to find the car I wanted but that exersize tipped me off about several things to be on the lookout for with "low low" mileage cars.

- I found multiple cars available from Chrysler dealers with under 500 miles. Some had suffered hail damage. I was told the cars were turned back to Chrysler for repair then sold at auction. Dealers bought them and resold them after the repairs. Since no warranty or insurance claim was made against them, nothing showed up on Carfax.

- I found a few cars that had been part of a Chrysler Buy Back program for various problems that couldn't be resolved easily. Again, the cars were sold via a Chrysler auction site to participating dealers with the stipulation the buyers would be told of any problems the cars had. Dealers bought the auctioned cars, repaired them (in theory) and sold them on following Chrysler's rules.

- I found some cars that been in fleet use and totaled. The cars were actioned off to independent dealers, repaired and sold with rebuild titles. Not one of these cars showed up for sale at a Chrysler Dealer, just "Joes Auto Mart" or something like that.

So, it pays to do your homework if looking at a low low mileage car. The easiest way to get started is to go to a dealers website, find the car listing, copy the VIN number and paste it into Google. You'd be surprised what comes up.

Happy hunting!

Greg

·
Registered
36 Posts
"Too much car" syndrome imo

At least where I live a lot of dealers have used challengers. A lot of them are in awesome shape with very low miles. For example a dealership near me has had 3 different used hellcat widebody challengers in the last 6 months. I saw one over the weekend and my God was it beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice, doesn't capture the depth of the dimensions. In any event they have 2 hellcat widebody challengers right now. One has less than 800 miles and the other less than 1500 miles. It got me thinking. Why would anyone get rid of this car with such low milage, and so many? This isnt your low trim model. Someone probably special ordered it. Could this be due to them having a lot of issues and people dumping them? Maybe the maintenance is so much they were dumped before the warranty runs out. You see this a lot with Mercedes and bmws. Do you guys see this too?
I think a significant number of new car buyers like how the car looks, but after they get the initial excitement burned off they realize it's a big automobile with a lot of power they rarely/never get to use through city street driving. Everything from maneuvering it through a parking lot to changing lanes to manual shifting through traffic (for the manual transmission buyers) can get old fast. Then you have maintenance costs on the higher end versions that need race quality gear to stay safe to drive. It's all more expensive to maintain.

There are lots of us here who love - LOVE - the cars and we accept the high traffic annoyances for those glorious moments of blasting onto a freeway on-ramp. But it's worth acknowledging there are some who just find out they don't enjoy a big car. Particularly on the higher performance models.

That's my guess as to a big contributer to the ultra low mileage used, top tier performance models you find at the dealerships.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I did a lot of research before I purchased my ‘18 R/T SP. Carfax often confirmed that a 5.7/A8 R/T with minimal options BUT WITH a spare tire had been in a rental fleet. Former rental-fleet cars are not eligible for the Mopar extended warranty. Also, ex-police vehicles are not eligible for the Mopar extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
From my observations, many of the used Challengers are from older guys who bought a weekend toy or garage queen/collector car. They buy a nice version or something that they think will be rare and worth a lot of money one day, but turn out to be one of many and just sit there depreciating, so they unload them. Either that, or they just want the newest versions that keep coming out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not the norm, but here are two examples of how low mileage 'Cats can end up for sale.

Originally the plan was that I'd buy my girlfriend's '19 when she got tired of it, which would've put my '18 on the market with under 2,000 on it. Well, she doesn't seem to be getting tired of it.

A friend of mine got his several months ago, but he has so many irons in the fire (and other cars) that it still doesn't have 300 miles on it. I don't think he's selling his, but it's not out of the question that two years from now he will, and the car may have 600 miles on it by then.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A local guy had to sell his HellCat after getting so many tickets that his wife made him get rid of it. They could not afford the insurance and now they drive an econobox 4 banger.

·
Premium Member
10,043 Posts
Small penis syndrome

You left out the guys who had a hellcat and then the Demon came out and rained on their parade so out with the super low mileage hellcat and hello Demon. That my theory and I’m sticking to it. Remember size matters... lol

·
Registered
981 Posts
It's not just Challengers. I came from Camaro6, those dudes are psycho. "I bought a 2017 ZL1 but didn't like it so I traded it in and bought a Corvette but didn't like that either so now I have a 2018 ZL1." Or "I have a 2018 ZL1 but I want the 1LE A10 so I ordered a 2019." Makes my head spin how someone can have so much frivolous money to just throw around.

Reactions: BlackHemi41

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,380 Posts
Low mileage trades:
"Look what I bought today, honey!!"
"You know we can't afford that... why didn't you tell me first?"
"Common, let's go for a ride, you'll love it..."
--15 minutes later--
"So what do you think of all that power?"
"I'm going in the house. I don't ever want to ride in that car again. You're going to kill yourself in that thing and your children will have no father."
After 24 hours of trying to persuade the wife that she should be excited about this grand surprise, the car goes back to the dealer.

That's where they come from

:)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts