Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 R/T
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Challenger, RT, Scat etc.

Leather seats, Harmon Kardon. Stick or automatic. That’s not a difficult set up. What if someone just wants a badass muscle car with leather seats and a bad ass sound system? Am I the only person in the world looking for that and not all this bells and whistles shit?

Reactions: Kurtshemi

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,499 Posts
It is easier for the company of they group things together in packages rather than build the whole car "Ala Carte"

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

Leather seats, Harmon Kardon. Stick or automatic. That’s not a difficult set up. What if someone just wants a badass muscle car with leather seats and a bad ass sound system? Am I the only person in the world looking for that and not all this bells and whistles shit?
At one time you could. Can you order leather and sound group 2? When I ordered mine, I didn't care for or see the value in the HK system and preferred the sound group 2.

·
Registered
358 Posts

Pretty sure they can...problem is you will pay more for that, than you would with all the ?bells and whistles" Costs to slow down the line to specialize in each single option is prohibitive. Costs less for a window motor, than it does to switch the line for which car gets one or not, and different door card, regulator, hand crank or switch. Just let them all go with the motor and be done.

This is evidenced by how many cars you see with wiring for options whether they have them or not, A car might have the power seat wiring even though it does not have the power seat.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,598 Posts

You could always buy the Challenger that you want and then add some Katzkin leather seat covers (replace the standard seat covers, and not just installed over the top of them) and then build your own sound system.

I've never heard the standard sound system in our cars but have to say that for what they charge, you could add some extra money and build a better system. The HK is alright, but not spectacular.

Katzkin seat covers. Lots of choices to design your own seat covers.....................

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
I'll take the bells and whistles. Old fashioned traditionalist but once I get used to them I begin to appreciate them. My last car was my first with heated seats. Thought I would never use them. A couple of 20' F mornings and I was a believer! Still wish I could get a CD player though, old habits die hard.Coming from a guy who still thinks the microwave is just a passing fad.

Reactions: Wizard of Iz

·
Premium Member
2020 R/T
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is easier for the company of they group things together in packages rather than build the whole car "Ala Carte"
Eh, I am a product owner. There are prerequisites and there are profit strategies. And they definitely went with the with the latter.

At one time you could. Can you order leather and sound group 2? When I ordered mine, I didn't care for or see the value in the HK system and preferred the sound group 2.
I had a 2010 and asked for a basic RT with leather seats and premium sound. They found me one but had a sunroof. Other than that it was basic in every way. Didn’t want the sunroof and they had to eat that, but I got close. Today, they ram so much crap down your throat for no reason other than lead-in products. My dealer here promotes custom builds due to dodges linked schema. They understand the buyer.

Pretty sure they can...problem is you will pay more for that, than you would with all the ?bells and whistles" Costs to slow down the line to specialize in each single option is prohibitive. Costs less for a window motor, than it does to switch the line for which car gets one or not, and different door card, regulator, hand crank or switch. Just let them all go with the motor and be done.

This is evidenced by how many cars you see with wiring for options whether they have them or not, A car might have the power seat wiring even though it does not have the power seat.
I am not looking to change the base model. Just add leather seats and an upgraded stereo. Just don’t understand why that simple scenario cannot be met. And why my leather seats “have” to be linked to so much other stuff the buyer may not want.

You could always buy the Challenger that you want and then add some Katzkin leather seat covers (replace the standard seat covers, and not just installed over the top of them) and then build your own sound system.

I've never heard the standard sound system in our cars but have to say that for what they charge, you could add some extra money and build a better system. The HK is alright, but not spectacular.

Katzkin seat covers. Lots of choices to design your own seat covers.....................

Good point. What I am actually building in my head is a base scat pack with traditional hood, debadged, leather seats and HK system. Just a basic muscle car that pays homage to its roots. Go screw around with the boys, car. My RT is loaded cuz it’s my daily and I ain’t getting any younger car with some road trips to White Castle. 3hrs away :).

I'll take the bells and whistles. Old fashioned traditionalist but once I get used to them I begin to appreciate them. My last car was my first with heated seats. Thought I would never use them. A couple of 20' F mornings and I was a believer! Still wish I could get a CD player though, old habits die hard.Coming from a guy who still thinks the microwave is just a passing fad.
Pushing 50. Completely understand. My RT is loaded for old bones, bad backs and conference calls lol

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
Good point. What I am actually building in my head is a base scat pack with traditional hood, debadged, leather seats and HK system. Just a basic muscle car that pays homage to its roots. Go screw around with the boys, car. My RT is loaded cuz it’s my daily and I ain’t getting any younger car with some road trips to White Castle. 3hrs away :).
Yep, went through this in '15 when I was getting ready to order my '16 SP.

Just how it is. The only factory options on mine are the WRT's and Modern R/T Hood Stripe.

As base as it can get, and I would order it this way again. Been a great car, and still loving it 5 years later.

Best of luck with yours.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
Absolutely. Got 10+ years on you. Sucks when you realize you have to compromise between what you want to do and what you still can do. Caused me to struggle over manual vs auto when I recently ordered my Scat. I want a manual but knees are not what they used to be. I went with the manual anyway. Figured if I get to where I can't row gears anymore it will be a perfect excuse to trade for new. Maybe even a Hellcat!

Reactions: Hemiman33

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
Absolutely. Got 10+ years on you. Sucks when you realize you have to compromise between what you want to do and what you still can do. Caused me to struggle over manual vs auto when I recently ordered my Scat. I want a manual but knees are not what they used to be. I went with the manual anyway. Figured if I get to where I can't row gears anymore it will be a perfect excuse to trade for new. Maybe even a Hellcat!
Yep, get older, and things will always change.

I just chuckle and move on.

·
Registered
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
723 Posts
Buy it as basic as you want, then make it more unique to you.

You can only work with what you'e given.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts

I was told I couldn’t get the RT side strips if I ordered the shaker graphics package, I could only have one or the other but not both. So I ordered the RT strips and had the dealer put them on.
Should have been much easier for the factory to do it.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts

Stripper car. My Mustang was sort of like that. Had A/C. Power steering and power brakes. Basic radio. No cruise control. Oh, 5-speed manual. Cloth interior. Think it had manual windows and no power door locks. Didn't even have the useless spoiler tacked on the rear trunk lid. But even back in 1996 stripper cars were not that sought after. Which is one reason why I managed to get a good deal on the car. The dealer just wanted it gone. Tired of looking at it.

Options are a profit source for the factory and the dealers so generally options are added. Not all options are added -- the very loaded cars tend to be slow movers too -- but some options are present of course.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
IMO, IRL, customers are always wrong. You have to take the Steve Jobs (Apple) approach. "I will tell you what you really want."

For example, take Toyota's TRD Camry. Everyone said, Camry is boring, no soul, no balls. Wish it had more performance, styling, and jazz. And the worst people are the "automotive journalist" on youtube. No one will buy a TRD Camry. Autotrader show 1 at any distance. Dealers will not order it because it won't sell. Customers really want a nice, smooth, comfortable XLE trim. Dealers know better than to sit on inventory. It's a business to keep the lights on a guys paid to feed the family.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts