Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard for years that Mustangs can't turn, but it seems they can't go straight either, at least when they gun it. If you go to Youtube and search for Mustang or Mustang Fails, you'll find hundreds of videos of them going straight, flooring it, and completely losing control like they are on ice. I've done that a hundred times in my Challenger and it's never even thought of that. Is the suspension or something just poorly setup? Or do Mustang drivers just not know how to drive?

https://youtu.be/8U9UCS5WPzc

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Short wheel base, solid axle (in all but the newest of them) and doing burnouts through corners....

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a 14 gt with a trackpack before my challenger and it was putting down about 420 to the wheels. If I got into it hard, id spin all the way through two gears up to 60 mph. And I had 305 radial slicks on back. I think its just a lighter/smaller car with a lot of power. Plus the solid axle doesn't help. They tend to lose their value fast due to the large amounts of them, which enables just about any kind of driver to be able to obtain one, good or bad.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
More than likely crummy drivers. A lot of the videos you see of those cars wiping out it's due to the driver nailing it while the car is still coming off of a turn or corner, so it's not even straight yet. That causes the rear end to swing out more than normal and then they lose control. Some of them also continue to stay in it and shift while they're all sideways which makes it worse and then they crash. I'm sure 90% of the crashes could have been avoided by just having a better driver in the driver's seat.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think the Mustang has outsold the Challenger almost 2-1 since 2008 and when you add in all the Fox Bodies etc before then I'd guess there are 4-5 times as many Mustangs on the road than our Challengers... and it's far less expensive to mod Mustangs.. that increases the odds of having idiotic drivers who can't handle the car.

·
Super Moderator
15,356 Posts
They tend to lose their value fast due to the large amounts of them, which enables just about any kind of driver to be able to obtain one, good or bad.
^^^^ that's the key right there...

there's a lot of them out there and for cheap spend, people can get there hands on one and get stupid really easily.

Even the 4.6L (pre '11s) it doesn't take much to break the rear loose and next thing you know a curb, ditch or tree finds that Mustang.

Several weeks ago I was driving back from Vancouver, WA (just across the river) and there was a flatbed tow truck that retrieved a '97 - '98 that the driver spun out on the long curving ramp...

There was a muddy rear bumper and clumps of grass & mud in the tail pipes...Mustang driving FTW!
- so the tail must have swung out and beat the front around the curve, and off the road.

IIRC, Fords have a fuel cut off sensor (in case of roll over) that kills the FI. There's a re-set button that must be pressed to get the system back on. This car didn't appear to have any collision damage that was obvious (and I'm driving past at 35mph on the ramp)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think the mustangs doesn't come with LSD (I'm sure i read it somewhere). Also, like the other people said, they are far more cheaper than the challengers and camaros. Mustangs are slowly turning like into the new honda civics. I wouldn't be surprised if the mustangs are expensive to insure due to they are popular and crash a lot.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
But the live axle don’t wheel hop either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've heard for years that Mustangs can't turn, but it seems they can't go straight either, at least when they gun it. If you go to Youtube and search for Mustang or Mustang Fails, you'll find hundreds of videos of them going straight, flooring it, and completely losing control like they are on ice. I've done that a hundred times in my Challenger and it's never even thought of that. Is the suspension or something just poorly setup? Or do Mustang drivers just not know how to drive?

https://youtu.be/8U9UCS5WPzc

As others have said, many more Mustangs on the road with many more inexperienced idiot drivers.

Another thing to remember is your 2016 Challenger comes equipped standard with traction control and electronic stability control.

If you want your Challenger to get sideways, turn both the TC & ESC completely off and floor it leaving a car show. :surprise:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Young guy at work,20, bought a 2017 GT. gave me a ride in it. 340 tread wear tires and I felt the traction control was pretty laid back on that car..it spun and fished tailed alot.

we were having and interesting conversation about cars he didnt know the difference from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive.....:nerd:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Since this is a topic about Mustangs, I wonder if the 15-18 5.7 RT can still beat the new 2018 EcoBoost since it had a jump on HP and torque.

Also does the 392 still beat the 18 GT in 0-60 and quarter mile? Based on what I read and watched, the 392 wins a split second.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I'm hoping the new GT500 is a true straight line machine.

To keep it from mauling innocent bystanders on sidewalks.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,541 Posts
Since this is a topic about Mustangs, I wonder if the 15-18 5.7 RT can still beat the new 2018 EcoBoost since it had a jump on HP and torque.

Also does the 392 still beat the 18 GT in 0-60 and quarter mile? Based on what I read and watched, the 392 wins a split second.
Apparently the 0-60 will be less than 5 seconds so there is a good chance the win will go to Ford...at least the RT can have 5 people on board as the mustang passes by. :wink3:
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2017/07/24/2018-ford-mustang-adds-power-reduces-0-60-mph-time/505028001/

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is 100% driver error IMO. If you hammer any car while turning it will go sideways. I have owned way to many Mustangs. They all go straight without a problem at wide open throttle. I can turn traction control off in my Scat Pack and get it to go sideways very easily. The IRS makes no difference compared to a live rear axle when you have an idiot behind the wheel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Operator error ... ;)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Before purchasing my first Challenger a 5.7 model - I drove the Mustang. To me the deal is pretty simple, the car has a ton of power to its weight ratio. Its like strapping a rocket pack on to a baby. Just too light for that power and add in the stiff axel and it doesn't take much. Yes they are incredibly nimble in turns but my Challenger can do all that but its so well grounded it amazes me. Just point the nose in the direction you want to go and the car just seems to track it very well. The added weight of the Challenger does have its advantages.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts