Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone , i read all the threads of people asking what to get.

this is for the people that already got their’s ... and does anyone regret their decision?

why exactly did you get an auto or a manual?

I’m asking people who got their cars to daily drive it or as their main vehicle. But everyone is welcome.

What im looking for the most , is The reason for the people who live in cities that is 99% stop n go and their is no room for open roads unless they go their them selves just to enjoy it.

did you ever regret going one way and not the other?

edit: and ya i understand that switching cars in the us is super easy due to leasing and whatever you have ... but here once you make the choice , thats it.... so just wondering.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I knew the 8A was quicker and all but if I was getting the ultimate muscle car of the time, I wanted to change the gears myself for all of the clutch fun and engine revving fun at gatherings.

If it was a daily in town, I would of got the auto

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coo cool , appreciate all the opinions so far ... i have exactly 12 hours to back down from signing the papers for a 2020 widebody scatpack ... my dream car ... its an auto , if i want manual i have to look at used cars since non ever made it to the dealership , plus Warranty and all , you know... i just hope i dont regret not getting a manual... no place to no enjoy a manual here , only in traffic , but still as you said ... the ultimate muscle car.

·
Registered
945 Posts
DD. First automatic in 20 years. 09 had a nasty drive by wire that made the M6 jerky.
8 speed just easier to drive.

The ZF 8 is light years ahead of the 5 speed auto that preceded it.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Hello everyone , i read all the threads of people asking what to get.

this is for the people that already got their’s ... and does anyone regret their decision?

why exactly did you get an auto or a manual?

I’m asking people who got their cars to daily drive it or as their main vehicle. But everyone is welcome.

What im looking for the most is reason for the people who live in cities that is 99% stop n go and their is no room for open roads unless they go their them selves just to enjoy it.
Why did I choose the A8? I don't want to "have to" shift all the time.

I live in a rural area with lots of twisties and hills, so I very seldom hit city type driving.

I just prefer what the A8 offers, and love it. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

It boils down to personal preference.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why did I choose the A8? I don't want to "have to" shift all the time.

I live in a rural area with lots of twisties and hills, so I very seldom hit city type driving.

I just prefer what the A8 offers, and love it. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

It boils down to personal preference.
So you have all the open roads you can get and still went a8? That just made my day lol , thanks !

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,997 Posts
I got the manual many because to me muscle car means manual trans. Having a manual makes tuning way easier and it gives me a more mechanical connection with the car. I love the A8 trans and despite it being faster than the M6 I prefer driving the M6. Also having an M6 there are no MDS lifters/solenoids to deal with. Is it a pain in traffic...don't know as I have a 7 mile commute. Use to have a wrangler 5 speed and drove that thing +135,000 miles in Chicago traffic and never complained about it.

Maybe I am an outdated fossil in my reasoning but if I had to buy another challenger today it would still be a manual. Heck I am seriously considering swapping a manual trans in my 2002 Jeep liberty.

·
Premium Member
9,426 Posts
I enjoy shifting, I prefer the sounds of the engine and exhaust while doing that as well.
I would not have bought this car if I couldn’t get it in a manual trans. My left knee has been killing me for a few months and still manage when I decide to take it out for a ride. The day that it’s too painful to drive it gets given to my son or parked for good but would never go auto trans, it would just feel wrong. These are just personal preferences as I grew up in a time that almost nobody wanted an auto trans in a muscle car. Just watch Barrett Jackson and look at what the sale prices are between the options.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT Plus
37 Posts
I got the manual because my last car was one and I love the feel / connection I get with the car.
It is my daily driver, traffic never bothered me in a manual car.

maintenance is easy and I can swap the fluids myself in 30 min.

It also gives me another talking point at car meets as it’s rare to see these in a manual lately. + theft protection ha

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also having an M6 there are no MDS lifters/solenoids to deal with. Is it a pain in traffic...don't know as I have a 7 mile commute.
annnnnnd the reply that i wish i never got lol ... im curious about this part , in 5 years once the warranty is up im planing to mod the shit out of it ... will the mds make this hard? Is close to impossible? I know modding a ws6 trans ls1 was a piece of cake ... how much harder will the mds make it compared to the ls1 say ... is it over double the difficulty?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
annnnnnd the reply that i wish i never got lol ... im curious about this part , in 5 years once the warranty is up im planing to mod the shit out of it ... will the mds make this hard? Is close to impossible? I know modding a ws6 trans ls1 was a piece of cake ... how much harder will the mds make it compared to the ls1 say ... is it over double the difficulty?
Replace the cam and lifters when out of warranty, with non mds stuff.

As for why I got the A8? Bad knees that won't get any better.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,997 Posts
All I can say is having a manual makes a cam swap cakewalk as the heads don't need to be removed to swap out MDS lifters. Also I think the AC condenser is 100% dedicated to cooling the AC and not sharing space to make room for the trans cooler. Then again I really don't use AC in the challenger...windows rolled down and sunroof open even in +90F weather.

·
Premium Member
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
145 Posts
Yep. The 392/A8 combination is just killer in auto mode or manual mode.

Fun and FAST on any type of road.
Same here.......my hot-rod 2015 SRT buddy with a M6 said I'd be quicker than him. I'll take quicker n the fact that the ZF A8 is second to none. I like the flexibility to PS or MM my "Green Monster".

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So some of you would not even think about getting the car if it wasnt manual ... scratching my head and wishing all choices were easy , damn ... guess im going the auto still due to the first couple replies ... its either that Or buy a used car with no warranty and nothing at all... my head agrees with both kind of replies , dont know , guess i just have to sign the bank paper so there is no going back , i guess i wont regret the auto , but will wish it was a manual unless the a8 puts a smile on my face everytime i see it

Appreciate all the replies , specially the auto ones :D sounds the zf is second to none as you say

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,997 Posts
So some of you would not even think about getting the car if it wasnt manual ... scratching my head and wishing all choices were easy , damn ... guess im going the auto still due to the first couple replies ... its either that Or buy a used car with no warranty and nothing at all... my head agrees with both kind of replies , dont know , guess i just have to sign the bank paper so there is no going back , i guess i wont regret the auto , but will wish it was a manual unless the a8 puts a smile on my face everytime i see it
IMO you can't go wrong with an A8. The M6 really more of a preference and old way of thinking. In the end the A8 outperforms and has a higher resale value than an M6. If I were on the fence I would be more prone to getting an A8 but since I ate too much lead paint as a kid I am hardwired to gravitate to the M6.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts

Appreciate all the replies , specially the auto ones :D sounds the zf is second to none as you say
Test drive a manual and Auto. They are so different, night and day, you will clearly prefer one over the other. There really is no wrong choice, just a choice that is either "You" or "not You".

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IMO you can't go wrong with an A8. The M6 really more of a preference and old way of thinking. In the end the A8 outperforms and has a higher resale value than an M6. If I were on the fence I would be more prone to getting an A8 but since I ate too much lead paint as a kid I am hardwired to gravitate to the M6.
appreciate it ,i already backed out at the last moment twice at the last moment last year due to trans/coloro options ... i will just do it this time,good thing i made this thread ... i can always come back to it i ever had any regrets lol ...has everything my head needs to appreciate the car weather its a manual or an auto ... :D

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Test drive a manual and Auto. They are so different, night and day, you will clearly prefer one over the other. There really is no wrong choice, just a choice that is either "You" or "not You".
you see the dealership never brought a manual not 2019 and not now ... the only guys that have it , had it specially ordered from them and waited for the car 6+ months to reach kuwait ... so i never got to try the manual in these cars , i cant even find one that belongs to anyone in the whole country to let me try it ... only tried the a8 r/t in 2018 i think since they wont let you try any higher than that... and the a8 was , well it shifted soo soomthly that i didnt even know it was shifting , thats how id decribe it , bot a bad thing i guess , hope all works well:)

1 - 20 of 281 Posts