Dodge Challenger Forum banner

301 - 320 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
I do get the appeal of driving manual (I've driven one for a year), but for me it's more about controlling the gears and adjusting the feeling of the throttle response - which I can do perfectly with the paddle shifters in track mode.
ya i relate 100%

i never used track mode , but i cruised in it for a good hour today.

what sucks but doesnt really matter , no matter what mode you use ... it is never 100% control. Always downshifting from 3rd to 2nd

but i discovered i can cruise around the block , go over speed bumps “ slowing and driving” without any noticable diff in tourque all in 3rd gear.

in that moment i discovered how amazing this car is.

i read this some where before where a manual guy wrote you can drive only in 3rd gear and be fine.

true words.

ya this a8 is amazing.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,657 Posts
put to the grave... no way, I'm still enjoying all the different ways guys that never learned how to drive a stick make excuses for buying a muscle car with an automatic trans... bwaahahahahaha... j/k
What no one has talked about is driving on twisty mountain roads at speed. I don't have any clue as to how one would go about doing that with an automatic transmission. All I do know is that I want to maintain high RPM's going through curves and have complete control over that. I don't want the transmission to decide it's a good time to shift, up or down, for any reason. The only way I know how to achieve this is by having a manual transmission. Also, with a manual, gears can be skipped; such as shifting from 5th to 3rd. As a last item of note, automatics don't do rev matching...

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
What no one has talked about is driving on twisty mountain roads at speed. I don't have any clue as to how one would go about doing that with an automatic transmission. All I do know is that I want to maintain high RPM's going through curves and have complete control over that. I don't want the transmission to decide it's a good time to shift, up or down, for any reason. The only way I know how to achieve this is by having a manual transmission. Also, with a manual, gears can be skipped; such as shifting from 5th to 3rd. As a last item of note, automatics don't do rev matching...
Its amazing that you took the time to write all this , really fantastic.

it can do everything you mention , just better. Rev matching too. Just Way better.

and jokes on you ... not one single mountain or twisty road in kuwait lol.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,657 Posts
Its amazing that you took the time to write all this , really fantastic.

it can do everything you mention , just better. Rev matching too. Just Way better.

and jokes on you ... not one single mountain or twisty road in kuwait lol.
What I wrote has absolutely nothing to do with you...

·
Registered
110 Posts
What no one has talked about is driving on twisty mountain roads at speed. I don't have any clue as to how one would go about doing that with an automatic transmission. All I do know is that I want to maintain high RPM's going through curves and have complete control over that. I don't want the transmission to decide it's a good time to shift, up or down, for any reason.
I found myself coming down a mountainside from the Blue Ridge Parkway, black of night, unknown road, lights were either hitting the mountain or a dropoff, it was steep...only time I ever really found the paddle shifters usefull. Anyway, I got the auto after talking to my mechanic and he pointed out the warranty on the clutch is 12 mths. I can shift manually without a clutch and get MDS when cruising. In the end my opinion is it's your car and your money so get what you like!

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Anyway, I got the auto after talking to my mechanic and he pointed out the warranty on the clutch is 12 mths.
My clutch has 8yrs and close to 95K miles on it and is still in good working order. I'd find a new mechanic... lol.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
598 Posts

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
598 Posts
The warranty says 12 months and then a few pages later it says no coverage. Which is it?
Where does the warranty say 12 months?

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
598 Posts
Right here
Interesting. I missed that in my booklet, but mine says the same thing.

Maybe the 12 month reference is to automatic transmission clutch disks? The image I posted specifies manual transmission specifically. But just a guess.

Reactions: trigger657

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
did he not give correct info on the warranty?
I don't know, especially after seeing some of the posted info. I would think 12mos is correct as they have to allow for defective parts. I was kidding about the mech, but it seems that you didn't really want a stick if a 12mo warranty on a wear item kept you from going that route. As you say, it's your money and your car, go with what makes you happy. :)

Reactions: trigger657

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T
131 Posts
Hello everyone , i read all the threads of people asking what to get.

this is for the people that already got their’s ... and does anyone regret their decision?

why exactly did you get an auto or a manual?

I’m asking people who got their cars to daily drive it or as their main vehicle. But everyone is welcome.

What im looking for the most , is The reason for the people who live in cities that is 99% stop n go and their is no room for open roads unless they go their them selves just to enjoy it.

did you ever regret going one way and not the other?

edit: and ya i understand that switching cars in the us is super easy due to leasing and whatever you have ... but here once you make the choice , thats it.... so just wondering.
I chose the automatic because, LA traffic sucks!

301 - 320 of 371 Posts