Dodge Challenger Forum banner

321 - 340 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
What no one has talked about is driving on twisty mountain roads at speed. I don't have any clue as to how one would go about doing that with an automatic transmission. All I do know is that I want to maintain high RPM's going through curves and have complete control over that. I don't want the transmission to decide it's a good time to shift, up or down, for any reason. The only way I know how to achieve this is by having a manual transmission. Also, with a manual, gears can be skipped; such as shifting from 5th to 3rd. As a last item of note, automatics don't do rev matching...
There's this thing called paddle shifters on the automatics. In terms of control they offer everything a manual does but prevent you from lugging the engine and will downshift if your RPM is too low.

·
Registered
2014 SRT8 Core, Plum Crazy Purple, 6spd, A few ad-ons and programmer, Demon Replica Whee
48 Posts
What no one has talked about is driving on twisty mountain roads at speed. I don't have any clue as to how one would go about doing that with an automatic transmission. All I do know is that I want to maintain high RPM's going through curves and have complete control over that. I don't want the transmission to decide it's a good time to shift, up or down, for any reason. The only way I know how to achieve this is by having a manual transmission. Also, with a manual, gears can be skipped; such as shifting from 5th to 3rd. As a last item of note, automatics don't do rev matching...
I agree Gila. In town (Small as it is), I'm always going 1-3-5. As you I like being hands-on with my gears too....

·
Registered
2014 SRT8 Core, Plum Crazy Purple, 6spd, A few ad-ons and programmer, Demon Replica Whee
48 Posts
My clutch has 8yrs and close to 95K miles on it and is still in good working order. I'd find a new mechanic... lol.
My 09 R/t ran to 130,000 miles and sold with original clutch. But to be honest I do not push hard or abuse my cars..... :)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,629 Posts
Reactions: trigger657

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
598 Posts
There's this thing called paddle shifters on the automatics. In terms of control they offer everything a manual does but prevent you from lugging the engine and will downshift if your RPM is too low.
They might offer the same control, but the feel is completely different. I have tried, and paddle shifters have yet to give the same feel as a manual. Believe me, I wanted them too, but every time they feel like a hollow replacement. So, not the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,629 Posts
You can mimic a manual with the paddles, but it's not the same of course. No need to justify the automatic that way ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
If you need that to be a real man...ok

A Guy
Very true, lots of real men drive automatics and some even drive V6s. ;)

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Close, but no cigar... I prevent me from lugging my engine and my engine doesn't have an annoying cam eating MDS system that turns it into a 4cyl turd on the freeway. I'm happy you are enjoying your automatic, they just aren't for me. They in no way "offer everything a manual does." I'm a necessary and integral part of my car. Hackers can't even take total control, I have a clutch pedal which can't be controlled via computer. Then there's that added bonus that many potential car thieves can't drive a stick either. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Close, but no cigar... I prevent me from lugging my engine and my engine doesn't have an annoying cam eating MDS system that turns it into a 4cyl turd on the freeway. I'm happy you are enjoying your automatic, they just aren't for me. They in no way "offer everything a manual does." I'm a necessary and integral part of my car. Hackers can't even take total control, I have a clutch pedal which can't be controlled via computer. Then there's that added bonus that many potential car thieves can't drive a stick either. :D
(y)

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
474 Posts
In an auto trans car, the parking brake is activated by a switch and cannot be disabled. In a manual, it is activated the old fashioned way. At least that's what the dealer told me when I bought the car.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,385 Posts
As for me and my reasons for getting the A8, as I have said in the past, I searched for and found the perfect Challenger for me without choosing the transmission, I really didn't care, the A8 is so nice. I had one in my 2015 Charger R/T and loved it, but I am also the "clutch master" that is the guy that teaches everyone how to drive one.
BUT, (everything before "but" is B.S.) now, I would probably get the M6 for the fun factor, since just before this pandemic Covid crap, we went to WFH 3 days, and about to go to 4 days. Then since March I have only been to a couple meetings and we are full time WFH permanently. So with no daily traffic, and I got another vehicle as a spare, the Challenger is turning into a fun car only, not a daily. So having it wife friendly and traffic friendly is less important.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,385 Posts
In an auto trans car, the parking brake is activated by a switch and cannot be disabled. In a manual, it is activated the old fashioned way. At least that's what the dealer told me when I bought the car.
Not my 2018, I have a pedal, same as my 2015 and 2006.
My 2018 Cadillac XT5 has the electric parking brake though, actually pretty nice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A lot of this stuff I didn't know. But doesn't make a difference ether way. The main reason for having the standard transmission is the true sporty feeling I get from getting up to speed running through the gears once and awhile. Sure dose help the boredom of being an OLE' GUY.... :p

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,629 Posts
All Challengers have a foot pedal parking brake

A Guy

Reactions: trigger657
321 - 340 of 371 Posts