Dodge Challenger Forum banner

341 - 353 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
It's a foot pedal either way and the A8 has electric release but this has no effect on a brake job, it can be released just like M6 version, just a different way to release it that's all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,959 Posts
It's a foot pedal either way and the A8 has electric release but this has no effect on a brake job, it can be released just like M6 version, just a different way to release it that's all.

Ah, maybe that is what is new? Mine is push on, push off. My Cadillac is electric on and off, actual motor engages it. And yes, nothing to do with servicing brakes.

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
Ah, maybe that is what is new? Mine is push on, push off. My Cadillac is electric on and off, actual motor engages it. And yes, nothing to do with servicing brakes.
Right, just set them both the same way but on the release, with the A8 you just hit the pedal again and it will release. With the M6 you have the old school release handle on the lower dash that you pull.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #345 (Edited)

was just going to ask about this BUT

Right, just set them both the same way but on the release, with the A8 you just hit the pedal again and it will release. With the M6 you have the old school release handle on the lower dash that you pull.
why is it that the m6 need to be released by the handle ?

how come it can’t be released the same way?

edit: prolly cuz they would need a third feet incase they had both feet on on the brake and clutch... could be wrong.

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
why is it that the m6 need to be released by the handle ?

how come it can’t be released the same way?
I'm thinking it might be that if the M6 released with your foot then in some cases, you would need three feet! One to operate the service brake, one to push in the clutch (assuming you were in gear) and a third to release the parking brake. Yes, if you were in neutral you wouldn't have to worry about the clutch but I'm just trying to think like Dodge here and they might see this as a safety risk.

So the M6 gets the old handle release for safety. If you accidentally tap it and release it on A8, maybe not a big deal as you would probably still be in Park, but not true with M6 and the car could roll.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #347 (Edited)
I'm thinking it might be that if the M6 released with your foot then in some cases, you would need three feet! One to operate the service brake, one to push in the clutch (assuming you were in gear) and a third to release the parking brake. Yes, if you were in neutral you wouldn't have to worry about the clutch but I'm just trying to think like Dodge here and they might see this as a safety risk.

So the M6 gets the old handle release for safety. If you accidentally tap it and release it on A8, maybe not a big deal as you would probably still be in Park, but not true with M6 and the car could roll.

yup, after using my brain for second i figured that might be why lol.

man i really wish i got the m6 now just because that there isn’t any other sport car i would ever want
except maybe a c6 z06 ... but then all my attention would go to her, and it doesn’t look half as good as a the challenger.

i think i rushed into my decision. but oh well...and maybe not since there is no place to enjoy the manual ,,, littarely no open roads.

but the looks of the challenger , it just screams BUY ME IN MANUAL.

since it is the best looking sports car ever made.

just writing and chatting , donnu ... but all you guys enjoyed driving a manual back in your younger days , i bought this car in my youth and committed to a 7 year long loan just for this car.

no way to sell it and buy a manual without losing 20$k over here.

donnu , sometimes i think i made the right choice , but when a z06 pulls up next to me...i wish mine was a manual too, that happened today too...but i know that is he’s toy car and his main is an auto.

blah blah...

If the M6 was any good then the redeye and demon wouldve gotten it. LOL , that’s me lieing to my self:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
If the M6 was any good then the redeye and demon wouldve gotten it. LOL , that’s me lieing to my self:ROFLMAO:
Heheh, keep telling yourself that... I think the idea behind the redeye and the demon was dragstrip based with the goal of winning. None of us old farts with our manual trans equipped cars believe we can beat an A8 on the strip. That's why at most meets located at dragstrips have a manual class so then it comes down to the best driver, not the best transmission.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Heheh, keep telling yourself that... I think the idea behind the redeye and the demon was dragstrip based with the goal of winning. None of us old farts with our manual trans equipped cars believe we can beat an A8 on the strip. That's why at most meets located at dragstrips have a manual class so then it comes down to the best driver, not the best transmission.
ya i know , It is just after using the paddle shifters for a while , i wish i got a manual BUT...

this can go all day long.

after all said ... i wish i can own ANOTHER manual scatpack or maybe hellcat beside this one.

if only i win some money somehow .

·
Registered
11 Posts
ya i know , It is just after using the paddle shifters for a while , i wish i got a manual BUT...

this can go all day long.

after all said ... i wish i can own ANOTHER manual scatpack or maybe hellcat beside this one.

if only i win some money somehow .
I was in a similar position with another car (FRS) when it first came out. Bought it in my early 20's, tried test driving the manual but kept stalling and it was emberassing. Ended up with the auto which had paddle shifters (still an extremely fast transmission, in terms of paddle shift speed they are basically the same as these cars)

Heavy regret ensued after....a large reason because the car was actually about a second slower (in an already slow car) off the line, and it was basically a drivers car that demanded a manual. I ended up getting hit by somebody who ran a stop sign. Car was written off and I bought a used manual version of the car in the winter, somehow made it off the lot driving and slowly figured out how to drive it properly. I enjoyed the car a lot more, but there were days I missed the auto and paddle shifters.

I actually ended up going back to the auto.....and then back to the manual due to other circumstances in that same car. If it makes you feel any better, you're going to regret not having the A8 no matter what, because there are days where you just aren't going to want to shift; and the A8 in this car is faster by about half a second off the line - so it legitimately is the superior option here in this car. Like it's not debatable at all......better MPG, cheaper, faster, shifts amazingly fast; probably one of the best if not the best automatic on the market. This heavy car almost demands it.

The reason I ordered it in the manual is because...…...I know (from my experience) I will have more regret not having the manual then not having the automatic. To me, it makes the car more special. You just cant replace that feel (when you learn how to drive stick) in a car. There are other bonuses....added respect from others, girls seem to think it's attractive, longterm wise if you keep the car it will be more special (especially when the 10 speeds roll out) shifting on backroads is just super fun, exhaust sounds better etc etc.

But the automatic is amazing and honestly if you have laid the money down it's still an amazing choice. Like.....it is the superior choice overall as it is the best version of the car. The MT to me is just more personal; that's why if anybody out there thinks they MIGHT have regret not having the MT, to get the MT, because they 100% will have regret not having it longterm. You just know if it's for you or not.....you just....know.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
I was in a similar position with another car (FRS) when it first came out. Bought it in my early 20's, tried test driving the manual but kept stalling and it was emberassing. Ended up with the auto which had paddle shifters (still an extremely fast transmission, in terms of paddle shift speed they are basically the same as these cars)

Heavy regret ensued after....a large reason because the car was actually about a second slower (in an already slow car) off the line, and it was basically a drivers car that demanded a manual. I ended up getting hit by somebody who ran a stop sign. Car was written off and I bought a used manual version of the car in the winter, somehow made it off the lot driving and slowly figured out how to drive it properly. I enjoyed the car a lot more, but there were days I missed the auto and paddle shifters.

I actually ended up going back to the auto.....and then back to the manual due to other circumstances in that same car. If it makes you feel any better, you're going to regret not having the A8 no matter what, because there are days where you just aren't going to want to shift; and the A8 in this car is faster by about half a second off the line - so it legitimately is the superior option here in this car. Like it's not debatable at all......better MPG, cheaper, faster, shifts amazingly fast; probably one of the best if not the best automatic on the market. This heavy car almost demands it.

The reason I ordered it in the manual is because...…...I know (from my experience) I will have more regret not having the manual then not having the automatic. To me, it makes the car more special. You just cant replace that feel (when you learn how to drive stick) in a car. There are other bonuses....added respect from others, girls seem to think it's attractive, longterm wise if you keep the car it will be more special (especially when the 10 speeds roll out) shifting on backroads is just super fun, exhaust sounds better etc etc.

But the automatic is amazing and honestly if you have laid the money down it's still an amazing choice. Like.....it is the superior choice overall as it is the best version of the car. The MT to me is just more personal; that's why if anybody out there thinks they MIGHT have regret not having the MT, to get the MT, because they 100% will have regret not having it longterm. You just know if it's for you or not.....you just....know.
ya , realized i will never get a challenger with these kind of specs over here that has a WARRANTY ever.

plus with the way out the streets are designed here , i never met a person in my life that dd a manual ... not possible , even if you are a pro and enjoy it, u’ll hate it in a day.

it is just that re reading what all the guys with manual challengers enjoying their cars and i bet they really are have to say makes me wish i had one.

Sure a manual v8 challenger will be worth gold soon. And at that time , their owners will never sell them unless they needed the money for an emergency. Hell , even any regular v8 with no electric thingies in it. But specially manuals.

Count your blessings i guess , i thought about my decision for a year and it was always changing but i ended up with an auto. So i need to accept my what i did.

if i had gone the manual route , i would be in the same position whenever i read about the a8 guys praising the transmission and it sure is amazing.

it is just the car man , it’s soo good that you wish you had both transmissions. It makes an excellent dd. And would 100% reasonable as a main car if you dont think about gas lol.

and why wont this thread just die lol , always in the first page at the top, just let it die already.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Kinda a similar feeling I had. I realized that I would regret either choice at certain times but that I'd regret it more often not being an automatic since it's my daily driver. If it's a weekend car then it's a different story, cause then it's a choice you make to drive manual on a nice day on the open road of your choice, not the only choice you have after a long day at work sitting in traffic on the way home.

I'd say though that both choices are excellent and you can't go wrong. Manual is fun, well cause it's manual and we all know that.
However, the automatic is just super responsive and will shift when you decide to without delay. A more aggressive 1st gear ratio. And the ZF 8 speed is just so well tuned by Chrysler. Sports mode puts you in the fun gear without holding the gear for too long. Track mode gives you even more throttle response with brutally quick 160ms shifts that make that fun sound during shifts at WOT. Kickdowns or left paddle held allow you to do quick 4 gears drops for max power. And of course MDS is a nice to have thing on a long road trip to give you an extra 10% more range between fill ups.

Reactions: trigger657

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,959 Posts
Speaking of Challengers and manuals. Why is it only the V8s? They put a manual behind the V6 in a Jeep, so they have parts that will work, plus wouldn't an AWD Manual GT be cool as hell?
PLUS, the Camaro has available manual with 3 totally different engines, 4cyl Turbo, V6, V8. And the Mustang is the same way with Manual on base engine as well as the V8s.
While I am venting, again, if Dodge ever wants me to order a car brand new, put the manual in a Charger, I will be first in line.

341 - 353 of 353 Posts