Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I know I kinda asked this question is a round about way but I'm having issues trying to decide which platform to go with. My Lease on my 17 Durango R/T is up in a few months and I have build both cars every which way.
I have test drove both and still am having a hard time pulling the trigger on one of them.

I find so many thing I like better about the Challenger , the looks mostly and it's retro style. I like the Drivers cockpit feel and the curve of how it wraps around towards you. I like how it drives and I could go on and on.
BUT the Charger is a 4 door which makes it more useful in many ways, looks totally bad ass, drives amazingly well and I could go on and on about all the things I really like about the Charger.

I'm wondering if any of you had this struggle before you pulled the trigger not he Challenger and also wondering if you may regret getting it over the Charger due to the more practical reason with the charger?

Thanks for all your experiences and stories up front as I'm eager to read about them.

Oh just so you know I'm all about the Scat pack trim level Automatic so the Manual is not a factor for me.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I always wanted a ’70 Hemi Cuda as a kid so the retro Challenger design was a no-brainer for me.

I’m also not a more-door fan. Great option if you have a family to cart around though.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
Looks.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
other than this

• Memory feature for driver seat, steering column, side mirrors and radio presets available on all models
There are a lot of little, and not so little differences between them, for basically the same price.
My opinion,
If you require a manual, get a Challenger
If you require a SHAKER...
If you can get a Demon/Super Stock...
If you can't stand looking at a Charger...
Otherwise, Charger is a nicer car. I went from a 2015 Charger R/T R&T (effectively a 5.7 Scat Pack) to a 2018 Challenger, I had a very hard time deciding what to get, I knew I wanted to upgrade to a Scat Pack, maybe a Daytona 392. Then I (actually my wife) found a SHAKER I couldn't not buy. I still miss a couple things about the Charger, including the looks, full power seats both sides, heated rears, nicer center console... full memory. All little things, but when you get up to a $50,000+ car, and things are missing, it irks me.
Now knowing that the world was going to end in 2020, and I would be permanently WFH, I would have almost definitely chosen a SHAKER with manual, maybe, I think... hell I still don't know.
Anyway, drive them both, climb in, change stuff, load up neighbors kids, whatever in both.
I made a list on here somewhere with the differences I noticed, mostly power seating related. Let me look.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
other than this

• Memory feature for driver seat, steering column, side mirrors and radio presets available on all models
There are a lot of little, and not so little differences between them, for basically the same price.
My opinion,
If you require a manual, get a Challenger
If you require a SHAKER...
If you can get a Demon/Super Stock...
If you can't stand looking at a Charger...
Otherwise, Charger is a nicer car. I went from a 2015 Charger R/T R&T (effectively a 5.7 Scat Pack) to a 2018 Challenger, I had a very hard time deciding what to get, I knew I wanted to upgrade to a Scat Pack, maybe a Daytona 392. Then I (actually my wife) found a SHAKER I couldn't not buy. I still miss a couple things about the Charger, including the looks, full power seats both sides, heated rears, nicer center console... full memory. All little things, but when you get up to a $50,000+ car, and things are missing, it irks me.
Now knowing that the world was going to end in 2020, and I would be permanently WFH, I would have almost definitely chosen a SHAKER with manual, maybe, I think... hell I still don't know.
Anyway, drive them both, climb in, change stuff, load up neighbors kids, whatever in both.
I made a list on here somewhere with the differences I noticed, mostly power seating related. Let me look.
Read this post, and add in pop open trunk on the Charger, like I said, all little things, but maybe enough to sway someone.

Reactions: Mantis1

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
737 Posts
It was easy for me.
The Challenger is much better looking with some vintage vibe while the Charger has four doors and doesn't look anything like it's vintage past.
While the Charger does have the memory driver seat because it has four doors, I don't much care about that.

Reactions: grandpa-srt4

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
We have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for trips and vacations.

The T/A won out in the areas of retro outstanding good looks, dependable powerplant and driveline, awesome handling, and it is generally a head turner almost every where we go.

Did I mention it looks good?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
2 Doors, looks.

I didn't want beats by Dr.Dre for an audio upgrade.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kids are older now, so....:cool:

Seriously, Challenger for the looks and retro styling. Had a muscle car back in the day and wanted one again and the Challenger is the only modern muscle car IMO. For me, the Charger was more of a sedan, granted one that can take most off the line...

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide body A8 in Go Mango
138 Posts
I always wanted a ’70 Hemi Cuda as a kid so the retro Challenger design was a no-brainer for me.

I’m also not a more-door fan. Great option if you have a family to cart around though.
Same for me. Growing up in the 60's and 70's, most young people would be embarrassed driving a 4 door.

I could never forget this Yellow Cuda that lived in my town with the word Cuda and black stripe accross the rear quarters. Just looked bada$$. For me the current Challenger has that look. I see many more heads turn to look at a Challenger then a Charger.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I’m tall so no one is going to sit behind me anyhow. When your seat is all the way back the b-pillar is in your peripheral vision of any 4 door. Styling is what really does it for me.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack - Frostbite
33 Posts
Definitely the look. I've never been a car person, but I always look at Mustang's and Camaro's from the 60s and 70s (I didn't even know what a Challenger was for the longest time). Family says all the time that I was born in the wrong era. I listen to 40s jazz as well as ragtime and doowop from the 20's and 30s, like old cars, prefer a classic sense of fashion.

The Challenger just LOOKS the muscle-part. Everything else is a far cry from their predecessors. I mean, all things considered, we're tacking on an extra 2,000 lbs, but it still screams classic to me, and I just can't escape the look.

I don't have a lot of friends, or a family, so I'm not concerned with the lack of 2 extra doors.

Additionally, I really wanted to get into car photography and videography (imagine growing up as a non-car guy, and discovering this is something you're passionate about. It's weird). The Challenger is basically going to serve as a model that I have on-call at all times.

Assuming all goes to plan, I'll have my Scat Pack this Saturday and be living my dream.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
2 Doors, looks.

I didn't want beats by Dr.Dre for an audio upgrade.
Speaking of, on my 2015 with Beats, in my opinion, it sucked compared to my Challenger. I was expecting a lot from it, but eh, nothing special. I guess it was OK, but not $995 upcharge OK.
My current 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sounds better than either to me. The Challenger's twin subs do kick it pretty good, but usually too much, and there isn't enough equalizer controls to get it to what I would like.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I got the Challenger because it looks like the old school stuff. When I started looking at the Challengers and Chargers my wife was wanting me to get the Charger because of four doors and we have kids so it makes sense. One night when she was looking at cars for sale she said "wow this one looks sick!" and that was the first time she saw a Challenger and not a charger. ;) I had tacit permission to buy after that moment. hahaha!

I think if Dodge would retro the Charger style back to the 69-70 look then then I might have gone that route, but the new one with all the curves and 4 doors just does not appeal to someone like me who appreciates older things.

As far as I'm concerned the Challenger is in a class of it's own for looks and real muscle car heritage, there is nothing else like it right now. It makes you grin everytime you see one and makes me chuckle everytime I drive it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Let me see???
Rather have a Chrysler 300 Over a Charger from Looks of the car.
Buttttt I would not want any of those 2.
But i am on my 4th Challenger (2020 Scat Pack Manual}and will buy a 2023 if they End Production.....JT

1 - 20 of 85 Posts