Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I sit here reading posts or shall i say complaints about the Challenger being so slow, My question to all you haters is WHY DID YOU BY IT THEN? It was never promised to be the fastest or best handling of The 3. I personally own a Mustang and the Challenger and there is no comparison between the two of them... Two different ANIMALS and yes i drove the Camaro, nothing good to say about it other then power... my buddy has a SS. I honestly like both my cars but find the Challenger more enjoyable to drive, as soon as i drive the Mustang i wish i was back in the Challenger.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I posted this on anotherv thread....

I truly believe many agree/experienced the same dilemma, and yes I am PISSED. Many like me certainly are also:

The retro muscle car war between Dodge, Ford and Chevy created a situation that many people might associate with. I was a former Mustang and Camaro owner, but have always loved the old Hemi's.

Predicament:

1. Best buy for Retro Preformance = Mustang GT. Problem" TOO MANY of them, and not as good looking as Challenger.

2. Camaro SS. Good performance...but Quasi-Retro...cartoonish...ugly.

3. RT Challenger. Similar price as "the above." Weakest performer.

Overall BAD situation....the SRT Challenger is better than the above...but thousands of dollars more.

What I did. Buy an RT (mistake)...with hopes of "fixing performance issues."

What I realized after I bought an RT....it costs MORE to upgrade (unless you are a good mech.) than it does to trade up.

How I feel. Slightly pissed at Dodge....as they cost me $$$. I simply could not force myself to buy an ugly car. "You can fix performance, but you cannot fix ugly."

What I did: Order an SRT. Realize that I have to pay more.

·
Registered
535 Posts
the challenger wins hands down for looks.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I grew up driving Challengers, so when the 2008's came out I knew I would get one someday. I will NEVER buy a GM product, and have never had any desire to own a Mustang.

Don't care if they are faster, there will always be something faster. Also, there's enough aftermarket out there to make these cars as fast as you want.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
a 392 challenger beats a 5.0 and a SS 0-60 and 1/4 mile.....but it also costs a bunch more..........The Challenger is the best looking of the 3

when I was deciding which car to buy as a 2nd fun car I wanted something as different from my Challenger as I could get and still have a back seat....I thought about a ZL1, but decided on the GT500 convertible because it has more HP and looks very different from the Challenger and also the convertible part...my challenger is an automatic while the GT500 is manual....

to me a Camaro is very similar looking to the Challenger...the silhouettes are almost the same, while a Mustang is completely different....if the ZL1 had the same or more HP than the Mustang GT500 I may have gone ZL1.......I like flashy interiors and the Camaro has it..the Challenger doesn't....the Mustang is somewhere in between

I take turns driving the SRT and GT500 and they are 2 completely different animals...one is a large/smooth ride and the other seems small/nimble/harsh ride and is so fast its almost uncontrollable at times.(tires spin at 90mph with TC on).........Challenger seating position is high up- mustang is on the floor and you have to contort yourself around the steering wheel...............when I drive my gt500 a lot and then drive the Challenger the Challenger feels like a dog....now that I have had my GT500 in storage for a month my Challenger feels fast again...its funny how that works

you cant beat the 5.0 for best bang for the buck...if you want a small/fast/cheap car it will win all day long...and that's why you see so many Mustangs.....as far as build quality it seems very similar to the Challenger...the metal seems thicker and the interior better quality.....neither would win a trophy for the best built car

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
True...

the challenger wins hands down for looks.
But if Dodge doesn't keep up...the Challenger will become a "no go show boat." The object of ridicule. An "RT"... 4200 lb. car with 375 HP....is not so muscular in a time period where Soccer Mom cars are 1/2 second slower.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Challenger is the only real muscle car imo, the other two while cool, are just retro sports cars imo. The Challenger stayed true to its roots.

Also practicality helped sell the wife on the deal, the Challenger seats all my kids with the 3 seats in the back. The other two dont.

Something I also noticed after I got mine, the Challenger seems far more rare out on the streets, and I feel like a brother to others ones I see cruising around with a kinship feeling I havent enjoyed since owning a jeep (cj). The community seems alot more friendly as well, comparing the online forums I have seen, but thats highly subjective I suppose.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Have both, Challenger and Mustang Gt, Like both, But as the OP said they are very different cars. My SRT is much more powerful, and better build and ride quality. The Mustang is a nice inexpensive and fun car to drive.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Camaro wasn't out yet (not that I'd want one) and there were too many Mustangs on every corner. Now there are more Challengers on every corner (around here) but I still like the looks of it the best.

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
I have already had two mustangs and had a deposit on a third(2013) the recaro seats weren't comfortable to me and I really don't like the look of the car from the rear as I don't like the new lights. The Challenger is more comfortable and has better manners as well. I still like Ford and Chevy but it just wasn't in the cards for this purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
For me:

Mustang: I love the exterior design and size, the way it drives and sounds, but the overdone interior and the chintzy fit-and-finish takes away the pride of owning it

Camaro: never really love the looks of it. Although the exterior design is slowly growing in on me, I find the interior is absolutely hideous. Besides, I am not a fan of Chevrolets.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I would never buy a Mustang or a Camaro because of what they did to them in the 80's and 90's

1 - 20 of 250 Posts