Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're in Sport mode, and do not have traction control disabled, just how much do you have to correct with the steering wheel to keep it straight? My '12 SRT8 I can mash it in Sport mode and keep it straight with only a little steering correction (generally a tiny little bit of "preload" on the steering wheel to the left for the first 50 feet or so, and maybe a little bit again as I hit each gear). Kick off the traction control and the fun (if you're into that sort of thing, and I am) begins - you'd better have at least 20 feet worth of cushion on either side, and the overall tendency is to go hard right (first), then left (unless you get the steering correction perfect) and right and... well... keep your foot on the loud pedal for too long and you'll likely do a nice little spin out. ha

·
Registered
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
271 Posts
[/quote]
You might find someone that wants to upgrade to a 3.06 diff (even if open diff) for their Charger / 300 or Magnum, as those all have open diffs (except SRT models) but with taller gearing yet[/QUOTE]

Impressive tracks you laid down!

Tell me you still have a copy of the article.

So, my curiosity is now peaked. I just got my '08 SRT8 this past June.

Do you guys know what my factory rear diff is in it?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,840 Posts
Currently have a 18 SP with dynamics package.. want new tires hate the small ones on here.. any suggestions on tire size front and back? Any help would be great
Since you have 9.5" wheels - you can go with 305 /35 on rear and for the fronts probably stick with the 275/40s that came as OEM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had my RT to the local track last year and made several passes. With a 91 octane Diablo performance tune, CAI, modified exhaust (resonators and mufflers replace with glass packs) and traction control turned off, all it wanted to do was pin the tries going down the track.Never have I ever driving a car that went A to B so straight. No fish tailing at all. Unfortunately Ican't give you any advice on the subject.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you're in Sport mode, and do not have traction control disabled, just how much do you have to correct with the steering wheel to keep it straight? My '12 SRT8 I can mash it in Sport mode and keep it straight with only a little steering correction (generally a tiny little bit of "preload" on the steering wheel to the left for the first 50 feet or so, and maybe a little bit again as I hit each gear). Kick off the traction control and the fun (if you're into that sort of thing, and I am) begins - you'd better have at least 20 feet worth of cushion on either side, and the overall tendency is to go hard right (first), then left (unless you get the steering correction perfect) and right and... well... keep your foot on the loud pedal for too long and you'll likely do a nice little spin out. ha
This is very close to where I was going...

How does it do with no human hands?
Roll up straight, let go, and hit it.
I wonder if you 'prepping' for movement, or otherwise loading the steering wheel contributes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Couple of quick replies to the guys.

Hal H - I tried selling the parts on Ebay and Craigslist. I think I was asking 300 + shipping. But I was competing against yards selling parts out of burned and wrecked cars that were selling for same price with free shipping. I got a few low ball offers that weren't worth my time. Nearest largish cities are about 80 miles from me, so a limited market locally.

Ashoka - Yep, I should have kept that paper, but at the time my thoughts were 'Crap, I got caught!'. You see, it was a small town, 3000 population, and everybody knows everybody. I think the article took up 1/4 of the front page of the local paper, big picture. I was lucky not to have to spend some time in jail.

Lowell

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,250 Posts
All jokes aside, if your wheel alignment checks out ok, it could be one of the linkage bushings in the back is worn/compressing to the point that it is throwing your rear wheel alignment slightly out of wack.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I did some "scientific" testing today. When I hammered it going straight it drifted to the right then to the left after correction.

The only way I could get it to go to the left was to create some inertia to the left prior to my scientific hammering of the throttle!

May need to rotate my tires now. The things we do for science....

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
The way the torque goes through the drive train the car wants to twist in the direction that sends the weight to the right (passenger) side of the car. So typically the car will want to kick out to the right.

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
You might find someone that wants to upgrade to a 3.06 diff (even if open diff) for their Charger / 300 or Magnum, as those all have open diffs (except SRT models) but with taller gearing yet[/QUOTE]

Impressive tracks you laid down!

Tell me you still have a copy of the article.

So, my curiosity is now peaked. I just got my '08 SRT8 this past June.

Do you guys know what my factory rear diff is in it?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

You have a 3.06 open differential, every 08 challenger did

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just wanted to show that straight IS possible, even with my ‘08 (3.06 open diff). Only perf mods (so far : ) are CAI, BMR lower control arms in rear, Diablo i3 Plat. (which I just got and haven’t played with yet).

And oh yeah, unless it’s raining, 100% of the time I climb in this daily driver, I hold the “fun” (ESP) button in for the 5 seconds or so it takes to turn off as much computer control as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Cracked me up with that walker. 65 degrees and sunny. Redondo beach calif.
Redondo Beach!!! I used to live in Manhattan Bch. You lucky dog.

·
Registered
709 Posts
This has turned into a joke thread - and some pretty good ones at that!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Just wanted to show that straight IS possible, even with my ‘08 (3.06 open diff). Only perf mods (so far : ) are CAI, BMR lower control arms in rear, Diablo i3 Plat. (which I just got and haven’t played with yet).

And oh yeah, unless it’s raining, 100% of the time I climb in this daily driver, I hold the “fun” (ESP) button in for the 5 seconds or so it takes to turn off as much computer control as possible.

Hmmm....if u have an open diff, how do u have both tires burning rubber according to that pic u posted? I thought if you did not have a posi rear end..then only 1 tire would spin? Oh well lol..what the heck do I know...nice burnout though!

·
Registered
22 Posts

Hmmm....if u have an open diff, how do u have both tires burning rubber according to that pic u posted? I thought if you did not have a posi rear end..then only 1 tire would spin? Oh well lol..what the heck do I know...nice burnout though!

Good point - on cars without ABS/traction control that would be true. Not sure about other years, but in ‘08 Dodge used the rear brakes for the limited slip action. I assume that’s why, even with ESP “full off” there is still a little braking action (have to really try, to get it sideways : )...

41 - 60 of 61 Posts