Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do the challengers hold their vaule so well, I've seen used ones for more then new ones(I understand the incentives)! But why?

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's a niche car.

You have to be a "car guy" to buy one, and the priorities for car guys are different than the priorities for people who just want to drive a beige box to and from work.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I guess I didn't know they did, but that's good news since I now own one. I bought my R/T Classic at $9K under MSRP. Frankly, I wouldn't take what I paid for it for the car right now because I doubt I could find/replace it for the same $$$$.

·
Super Moderator
17,434 Posts
They're not so common that you trip over one w/o even trying to look for it.

The Mustang, on the other hand, is all over the place, plus there's a lot in the rental fleets. The rental companies turn these used cars over a lot, so that also depresses the resale value.
(Same thing happened with Lincoln Town Cars - there's trainloads of them hitting the used marked from rental companies...why pay $47 - 54k for a LTC new when you can get used for $29 - 37 for a 1 year old one?)

Plus, Challengers are pretty comprehensively equipped features wise, compared to the earlier years where the competition started off with fairly low options content (manual windows, no a/c, power accessories).

When a model is relatively pricy as new, they'll tend to keep value a lot longer - there's not a lot of used ones in the market, since the 1st '08s are probably still in the hands of original owners.

·
Registered
389 Posts
A few factors that may contribute - the earliest models are only 3 years old. Many likely have fairly low miles due to the age. If these forums are any indication - many owners take good care of them, so any used ones are probably in good condition too. You always pay a higher price for a V8 over less powerful engines (speaking primarily domestic cars - some of the high end imports; BMW, Porsche, etc. have V6s), especially one engineered primarily for performance. A savvy dealer likely anticipates the average Challenger buyer is a fan of muscle/performance cars; if they've got R/T and SRT models on their lot - they are going to try to get the most out of the sale from that segment of the used car market. If performance isn't a primary consideration, but you are in the market for a good looking full size coupe with some pep - the SE is one of the few out there, so again, a savvy dealer knows that and if the car is in good shape, prices it accordingly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.