Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
They bored out the 5.7 blocks instead of the 6.1s. The 392 is also supposed to make over 500 HP but they sacrificed it for low end torque. They also changed the air dam to be more functional but idk how much of a difference that would make.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Sooo, it's not magic?

·
Super Moderator
15,585 Posts
The 6.4 / 392 also has an active intake manifold (there are flaps that change the effective runner length), so this improves air flow rates between low rpm and high rpm operation as well. Its likely the new engine also has higher compression using the Eagle heads (09+ 5.7) design which bumped up the compression over the 6.1 head.

Like the '09+ 5.7, the 6.4 also has cam phasing, which allows more tuning possibilities vs. the fixed cam setup the 6.1 engine has been using.

The '09+ Ram trucks used a similar setup (different intake) which aided in higher top end power over the other 5.7 engines for example. Trucks were rate for 390hp vs the 368-375 hp in the passenger applications.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Its not a bored 5.7. Everything about it is brand new. The code name for it is the apache. The heads are very similar to the eagle heads but with larger valves. The stroke was increased to 3.72. The bore was increased to 4.09. The cam is fairly large and with vvt they can make a ton more low rpm power while maintaining upper rpm hp. The manifold has active runners which is also helpful. Its just a bad ass engine to sum it up.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Its not a bored 5.7. Everything about it is brand new. The code name for it is the apache. The heads are very similar to the eagle heads but with larger valves. The stroke was increased to 3.72. The bore was increased to 4.09. The cam is fairly large and with vvt they can make a ton more low rpm power while maintaining upper rpm hp. The manifold has active runners which is also helpful. Its just a bad ass engine to sum it up.
I stand corrected. Guess I heard wrong somewhere.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I love when u talk dirty to us... :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
And i think the 6.1 is Bad Azz...so i guess the 6.4 is Bad Azzer? :bigthumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts