Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A co-worker gave me his copy of the February 2011 Motor Trend. They feature much of the new Chrysler/Dodge lineup in it. According to them, the '11 392 SRT is only 1.8 seconds faster in the 1/4 than the '11 Avenger R/T (Pentastar V6). Their SRT ran a 13.0 and the Avenger ran a 14.8.

In the same issue they did a test of 4 "Ponycars", Challenger, Camaro, Mustang and the Hyundai Genesis coupe...Huh!!?? They were all V6s. Of course the Challenger lost to the Hyundai because of the "slow shifting" automatic "which still is one gear too short", "size" and "inadequate interior".

Aggravating...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, I have the urge to go out and trade in the Dodge for that Hyundai! What are they thinking? Hyundai must be buying a lot of ad space huh?

We drive under-dogs... Thats Ok!

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL BUT LOOK WHO THE BIG ADVERTISER ARE WITH THE RAG :browsmiley:
WE ALL KNOW WERE DRIVING A CAR THAT MOST PEOPLE THINK HASN'T EVEN BEEN MADE YET :notallthere:

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
13.0 sec?? The SRT engineers stated in last week's Chat Session that the 392 in the Challenger will consistently run 12.6s. The fastest time they got was 12.4 sec.

It's interesting to note that if you plug 4,150 lbs. and 425 flywheel hp (6.1) and 470 hp (6.4) into a 1/4 mile calculator, you get the following numbers that are practically dead on:

425 hp= 13.1 sec.
470 hp= 12.6 sec.

http://robrobinette.com/et.htm

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
just the same old story from them...people beat the "professionals" times from MT all the time on these forums. just a shame the misinformed general public don't see that.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I read that article and considred the source. They still love to rave about the Mustang.But I don't think they are biased just not good reporters. Seriously, I don't give a squat what they think or write, I favor my "RT over their opinions. And my opinion is what counts to me and my pocket book.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Most of the US car magazine's have this built in bias that all USA produced cars suck & all foreign built cars rule. Its been that way for a long time now and its the main reason I refuse to subscribe to any of them. The worst offender without a doubt is Road and Track, they haven't said anything nice about a US made car since the 70's. I'm sorry to hear C&D be so harsh as they've always tried to be more open minded about US automotive product. What else can I say except if you don't like what they print, don't buy it or subscribe to it. Works for me!

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
2 words:
Challenger
Envy

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Most of the US car magazine's have this built in bias that all USA produced cars suck & all foreign built cars rule. Its been that way for a long time now and its the main reason I refuse to subscribe to any of them. The worst offender without a doubt is Road and Track, they haven't said anything nice about a US made car since the 70's. I'm sorry to hear C&D be so harsh as they've always tried to be more open minded about US automotive product. What else can I say except if you don't like what they print, don't buy it or subscribe to it. Works for me!
the Challenger is not a USA car...its Canada/Mexico owned by Germany(i think)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Have you ever driven a Genesis Coupe? I have and for a non-turbo'd car that sucker will haul the mail. I bet the power to weight ratio is a whole lot better than the Challenger. You need to look at the whole package.

It's kinda like MT's test of the twin turbo Porsche against a ZR1 Vette. The Porsche took the drag race and the Vette took the road course. But, the real kicker was the driver forgot to let the tubos cool properly before the flying mile test and cooked them. The Vette won that by default... OBTW - the ZR1 shifted into 6 th gear at 185 and passed thru the traps at 194.

·
Banned
756 Posts
ZR-1

Saw the ZR-1 against the porsche on google , and it literally beat the porsch on the willow springs race course hands down ! In fact the professional driver who was the 24 hour leman's champion, felt the ZR-1 vette was the better car in terms of stability at high speeds around the course .
That's one example that certainly prove's that american's do build world class machines to compete with the best of the imports , but without the stupid price tags !

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Saw the ZR-1 against the porsche on google , and it literally beat the porsch on the willow springs race course hands down ! In fact the professional driver who was the 24 hour leman's champion, felt the ZR-1 vette was the better car in terms of stability at high speeds around the course .
That's one example that certainly prove's that american's do build world class machines to compete with the best of the imports , but without the stupid price tags !

for $120,000-$140,000 it better be good....

·
Registered
653 Posts
Diamer hasn't had a majority stake for 3+ years. It is majority owned by the UAW at the moment.
Using Wikipedia?

UAW has the majority stake but Chrysler LLC. is truly controlled by Fiat, as it is the second largest and actually has the resources to run the company, unlike UAW.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I subscribe to MT. At the time it was cheap and I wanted to try something different. They seem to have a bias toward foreign sports cars. I've followed the various articles on the Challenger/Camaro/Mustang tests and they seem generally consistent with opinions voiced here and elsewhere: the Challenger, especially the 250 hp version is too heavy and didn't handle as well as the competition. The 11 with the 300hp is nicer but it's essentially the same car. No surprise there. What has changed since last year is that they find the Camaro much less appealing, so it appears the shine is wearing off that one rapidly. The Genesis is a nice car, even they were surprised.

What's amusing is that in their fleet of long term test cars they have a B5 RT 6spd that never seems to spend any time sitting in their garage and always seems to generate positive comments except perhaps for its size in downtown traffic.

Given that magazines like MT have a broader perspective - they don't just focus on muscle cars (and do focus on too many 4 door BMW's for my liking) and the various drivers get the opprotunity to play with a large selection of cars of all types and quality I'm not surpised at the articles. After all competition today is global in nature.

·
Banned
756 Posts
huggytree .
An ZR-1 vette cost's $119,000.00 dollars canadian fully loaded , an porsche turbo 4s cost's upwards of $190.000.00 canadian !
I would say the ZR-1 is a bargain in comparison .

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
The last time "Motor Trend" got anything right about a Chrysler product was in 1969.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hate is pretty strong phrasing considering the Challenger got 3rd out of 4 and beat the camaro. Not to mention they said stuff like:

"But with the most interior space and biggest trunk, it's the easiest to load with cargo or friends, and the latter will be reasonably comfortable in the back seat. The size also allows for a glorious exterior, relentless in its evocation of the original. Every time you check the sideview mirrors, you glimpse the bulging rear fenders, intimidating traffic."

Here's their summary of the 2011 R/T

"But a throwback muscle machine like the R/T isn't about change. As we discovered with our longer term 2009 R/T, we love it as is. This updated version holds onto every single thing we dug about the old car but slightly tweaks it for the better. Look, we know the mid-range Challenger isn't perfect. It sucks gas, is hard to park, is about 700 pounds too heavy and boasts an interior that's not worth boasting about. Guess what? We still don't care. Thank you Santa, thank you."

So it seems to me their just being objective and basing their decision on what car was best overall, for a variety of situations.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Have you ever driven a Genesis Coupe? I have and for a non-turbo'd car that sucker will haul the mail. I bet the power to weight ratio is a whole lot better than the Challenger. You need to look at the whole package.
That's the problem right there. People who have a bias think everyone else does instead. I'm not saying I would want a Genesis coupe but the car was the fastest, stopped the quickest, handled the best, was the most fun to drive, and got the best real world gas mileage.

So anyone with half an unbiased brain can see why the Genesis did so well in the comparison. In fact the only reason it didn't win is because of the price.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts