Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe I confused folks, so I'll try to explain it better.

We agree that the stock setup for 2020 has a crankcase air connection for the factory air intake tube (throttle body to air filter box) at the passenger side, and eliminated this connection at the drivers side. The K&N complete kit replaces the factory air intake tube (throttle body to air filter box), as well as the air filter box. So, when removing the factory air intake tube (from throttle body to air filter box), you have to connect that passenger side crankcase tube to the nipple at the drivers side because K&N's replacement air tube kept the nipple at the drivers side. I assume they (K&N) kept it that way so the kit they had for 2019 and below with the replacement air intake tube will work for the new 2020's. They simply include either a short rubber hose for earlier 3.6's (2019 and earlier) that had the crankcase tube at the drivers side, or a long rubber hose for the 2020's that have this crankcase hose at the passenger side.

So those that are doing just an air box replacement (different vendor's), yes, I agree with you in just plugging this nipple for their air box filter only kits, and leaving the rest of the factory connections as is.(y)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts
So this

Connects to the air intake tube that is replaced with the K&N? I get it now, thanks (y) I'd like to see a picture of that connection without the engine cover in the way

A Guy

·
Registered
27 Posts
So this

View attachment 998081

Connects to the air intake tube that is replaced with the K&N? I get it now, thanks (y) I'd like to see a picture of that connection without the engine cover in the way

A Guy
Yes! The K&N kit even comes with a "quick disconnect" with a barbed end to plug into that connector, and the barbed end plugs into the rubber tube with a clamp as well. Very good kit, well thought out to work with older and now the new models.

Give me a day or so to get a pick or two to post here. I'll get the passenger and drivers side ends. Happy to help out.

I now want to explore where the crankcase expels its crankcase fumes for the 2020 models. Since the passenger side connection is now the fresh air crankcase intake, there has to be a point where the crankcase fumes are now expelled and possibly reburned. I'm thinking the engineers no longer expel them by by the throttle body to prevent oil mist from contaminating the throttle body plate and intake valves to be burned off by normal combustion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The first pic (challenger1a) shows the connection at the passenger side, using an included (In K&N kit) quick connector that keeps the factory connection, and has a barbed end that plugs into the included long hose.

The second pic (challenger2)shows this same long tube at the drivers side connector at the the K&N air box.

challenger1a.jpg
challenger2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts
Thanks for that, now if someone with a 2020 can take a picture of the stock air tube connection, that would be great

A Guy

61 - 66 of 66 Posts