Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can rig up cutouts to dump unadulterated exhaust sound from the downpipes, why not apply the same idea such that it acts upon the resonators? So when you are idling or running about, you can enjoy the full, raw sound from just the mufflers. Then when you approach the drone rpm (easy enough to sense and calibrate this from the cigarette lighter signal or some such), the cutouts close, and you get resonators in-effect to cancel the drone?

Can somebody make one'a deez, tomorrow, and post in on the results? :)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I don't know about making it automatic like that, but it shouldn't be that hard to put electric cutouts between the mufflers and the resonators.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the automatic part is what would make it "trick", eh?

·
Registered
864 Posts
So you want something that monitors the exhaust note and automatically opens and closes a cutout?

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
I've seen something similar to this on high level Beemers.

Jack

·
Registered
83 Posts
Newer Subaru Rex's have a vacuum operated setup that basically does exactly what you're suggesting. Not sure how exactly it works though.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you want something that monitors the exhaust note and automatically opens and closes a cutout?
No, we're already pretty sure when the drone occurs. We don't need to monitor it. We only need to have a settable rpm control so that it does its thing when a certain rpm band triggers it. ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Theyve got something similar on ferraris and corvettes.
In the former V8 ferraris (360 modena and before)they even bypassed the cats.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Someone could write a code to monitor engine PCM canbus communications for rpms. Then send/or not send a voltage to close the electric cutouts automatically - adjustable settings with manual override of course... any vendors reading this idea?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The best in raw, old-school sound plus intelligent drone control, eh?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Why not buy the Solo Performance Mach-X cat-back exhaust with the tunable J-pipes. Ditch the factory cat-back with resonators and tune out the drone!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
For automatic cars that drone in ECO mode the ECO mode could be monitored and when it comes ON the cutouts close, but those valves would get a LOT of use and would need replacing often.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The simple answer for autos and low cost is the pypes violators. I have a corsa xtreme on my auto but the pypes system sounds better with no drone. If you got an 6speed, blastin bob's non resonators deletes. pypes $500 corsa $1,200 or BB's $125, thats all you need to know, see it's simple to get the right sound.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why not buy the Solo Performance Mach-X cat-back exhaust with the tunable J-pipes. Ditch the factory cat-back with resonators and tune out the drone!

I still get some drone. Tried adjusting the J pipes a couple of times. It helped but drone still exists between 2100 and 2400 in 5th gear. Alas, that equals 70 - 75mph. Crank it up to 80 and its totally gone. My wife does not care and I have resigned myself to it. Not an issue on long trips because once the trunk gets loaded the drone goes away.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think you guys are kind of missing the point of a resonator bypass cutout. Yes, there are many ways to address the issue already. All of them are "fixed" systems that gut the drone frequency full-time. It is certainly helpful while running the engine in the sensitive drone rpm band, but tends to sacrifice the meaty sound elements of the engine all other times. So it is inherently some degree of compromise. The effectiveness of this kind of anti-drone measure comes with the baggage that this part of the sound spectrum gets notched out, period, even if that sound contribution would have been desirable in other modes of engine operation. Ultimately, it comes down to recognizing that this component of the engine sound is important, too. We just don't want it when it is droning out of control, when you have to traverse that particular rpm band with moderate engine load.

When you can actively switch the behavior of the exhaust on-the-fly, that opens a whole new dimension to the sound that is possible with the car. You can then achieve that direct, old-school (single muffler) sound while the engine is operating outside the typical drone band (the fullest, meaty sound that the engine is worth), but then engage anti-drone (or even partial degrees of it) as you enter/cross/loiter inside the typical drone band. It's the best of both worlds, w/o having to compromise anything.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If that is even a "solution", then autostick makes that distinction all well irrelevant, by the same logic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts