Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
nice car - like the color. I picked mine up two weeks ago after having a 15 awd charger. no snow here yet but i'm putting my winter tires and remote start on tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,064 Posts
My car shivers at the thought :) Merry Christmas ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
194 Posts
The GT looks like a fantastic car. If I didn't already have a Subaru, I would have considered one.
I was about to buy an outback before I found out about the GT. I haven't had any snow yet, though.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I am lucky enough to be able to eat my cake and have it too. I have my '17 GT as my DD/ winter car and my Scat Pack Shaker for dry summer days. I have only driven one day in light snow so far but it was fun in the mall parking lot at 12:30 am after getting off work at midnight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
First snow storm for the GT after work at midnight. It does great. On a long up hill grade I had to stop and let someone in a FWD hatchback back down and turn around because they could not make it to the top of the hill. I got a surprised look from the driver when I just started up the hill again with no trouble in a Challenger. He must have thought he was seeing things a big heavy Challenger going up the snow covered hill like it was a warm sunny day.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
First snow storm for the GT after work at midnight. It does great. On a long up hill grade I had to stop and let someone in a FWD hatchback back down and turn around because they could not make it to the top of the hill. I got a surprised look from the driver when I just started up the hill again with no trouble in a Challenger. He must have thought he was seeing things a big heavy Challenger going up the snow covered hill like it was a warm sunny day.
Love it. Lol.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yup. Rural Maine here. Lots of unplowed backroads. Without the AWD I could not be in a Challenger.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My daily driver! While I would have preferred a 392 Shaker, this is a wonderful car for Montana driving. Merry Christmas to my Challenger friends.
A co-worker in Wisconsin saw a picture of my T/A and fell in love, he expressed remorse that they weren't AWD so I told him about the GT. So, we have a new member coming soon. :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'd like to see the Statistics on AWD sales of the Challenger.

It's an intriguing idea for sure. A lot of us in the N East see the Challenger as a TOY only. Not capable of being reliable safe transportation year round.

The AWD option challenges that perception and could mean the car could find more buyers.

I really wonder if has actually played out that way.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The thought of my Challenger covered in Road Salt and sand.........changes everything though.

The cars we own and like to work on (79 Corvette, '02 T-Bird and the TA)......all have one thing in Common none have ever seen road salt.

It's amazing the damage treated roads do to a car. I plow my driveway with a 2002 Ford Ranger pick up truck that was my "winter driver" and home depot/dump runner for 15 years......accumulated all of 49,000 miles on it before having to take it out of use on the street over frame damage in the back. It's probably the very BEST RUNNING yard truck anyone ever saw. Yet that's what it was reduced to when if failed an inspection over the issue.

I did almost no repair work on the truck in all these years the mileage was low enough it didn't need much but I did swap out shocks in the front and back when it was 5 years old......CUTTING them out with the "hot wrench" was required, same with an exhaust system that was just GARBAGE courtesy of the road salt. A fuel pump replaced revealed a completely rotted away gas tank strap and mount in the frame rail.......this is what happens to cars and trucks driven in the winter up here.

So even though an AWD Challenger, especially if it were to eventually come with a V8 at some point, might be a car I'd consider for purchase........it would still be a tough decision to put it through a winter up here. Cars subjected to the winters are way less than "fun" to work on.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd like to see the Statistics on AWD sales of the Challenger.

It's an intriguing idea for sure. A lot of us in the N East see the Challenger as a TOY only. Not capable of being reliable safe transportation year round.

The AWD option challenges that perception and could mean the car could find more buyers.

I really wonder if has actually played out that way.
Sorry I'm not sure how to make the chart bigger, but I'd have to think FCA is happy with the GT sales. Only trims outselling it are the SXTs and R/T.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
The thought of my Challenger covered in Road Salt and sand.........changes everything though.

The cars we own and like to work on (79 Corvette, '02 T-Bird and the TA)......all have one thing in Common none have ever seen road salt.

It's amazing the damage treated roads do to a car. I plow my driveway with a 2002 Ford Ranger pick up truck that was my "winter driver" and home depot/dump runner for 15 years......accumulated all of 49,000 miles on it before having to take it out of use on the street over frame damage in the back. It's probably the very BEST RUNNING yard truck anyone ever saw. Yet that's what it was reduced to when if failed an inspection over the issue.

I did almost no repair work on the truck in all these years the mileage was low enough it didn't need much but I did swap out shocks in the front and back when it was 5 years old......CUTTING them out with the "hot wrench" was required, same with an exhaust system that was just GARBAGE courtesy of the road salt. A fuel pump replaced revealed a completely rotted away gas tank strap and mount in the frame rail.......this is what happens to cars and trucks driven in the winter up here.

So even though an AWD Challenger, especially if it were to eventually come with a V8 at some point, might be a car I'd consider for purchase........it would still be a tough decision to put it through a winter up here. Cars subjected to the winters are way less than "fun" to work on.

I hear ya TA. The thought of driving my GT in the salt makes me sad. Although the thought of not driving it in the winter makes me sadder~
When the times comes, hopefully many years down the road, when she starts to rust I'll fix her or trade her in.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
What I don't get is I believe Dodge is still putting the foam in the cars?? So many threads now on here about people's Challenger's rusting through on the lower panels by the rear wheel...Hopefully this does not become an issue for GT owners.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I really thought about buying a GT or a 300S AWD but I knew I would be ordering a supercharger quickly. I
wish Dodge would supercharge it! :) Great cars just another 100 hp or so would be nice.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
I absolutely love the idea. I have thought seriously about getting the wife a Charger GT so that we have a nice 4 door and awd so she can always get to work. Plus the trunk space would make it great for groceries.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts