Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me just say how much I hate dealing with dealerships and making warranty claims. I have been a mechanic since I was 17 years old. Started picking my certifications up starting at 18. by the time I was 24, I was an ASE certified master tech, and I was ford certified on the powerstroke 7.3, and the new powerstroke 6.0, and I had a job as a Fleet Manager at a medium size towing company. I serviced, maintained, and repaired 9 trucks, ranging from an F250 4x4 wheel lift, all the way up to a UD HD 20k lb pull capacity (which I should point out routinely carried 2x times its lift/pull capacity).

I was also going to college during this time. it took me 7 years to get a BS degree from UCF. When I graduated, I made the decision to go to Law school. I sent out my applications, and then had a retirement party 2 months before law school started in Miami Florida. In addition to that, I used to run a speed shop out of the tow yard after hours, I have drag raced, road raced, street raced, and everything in between.

I blew through law school in 2.5 years. I had an awesome career. I won competition after competition, had decent grades, and won the respect of my colleges and professors. I decided to open my own practice after graduating. It was rough, and slow going at first. But eventually picked up to the point where, even though I was living at home with my parents rent free, I was able to pay my loans, and had some left over. I decided to treat myself. I wanted a mustang 5.0 (long time ford guy, but never owned a mustang. seemed like the perfect car to jump in with). After searching high and low, all over the south east united states, I came to the realization that I was not going to come away with a 5.0 with a track pack for less than 39k out the door. Too much.

The camaro was awful, and after driving it, I didnt even bother to test the negotiation waters. Then I went to Arrigo Dodge, and test drove a 2010 super track pack challenger. With the 3.92 gears, and the stripped out interior, it felt every bit as fast as the camaro, and was bigger, more comfortable and better looking than either of the other two. And, my salesman Rufus, was cool as hell. My parents had recently bought a Hemi 300C from him, and he cut me a ridiculous deal on a Challenger.

I had never been prouder. I have owned alot of fast cars, and even a few nice ones, but this one is my favorite. It is the first new car I bought on my own, and its also a work car. I practice from as far south as Dade County Florida (Wade County in the month of March) to as far north as Volusia County Florida (daytona). I am taking good care of this car. I am babying it. I have a special way to open my doors. I keep a wipe in my car to wipe dirt off after I get to any destination. If I have to take a road trip on I95, I intentionally do 63 miles an hour to lessen the damage of rock chips (as well as maximize the mileage of the thirsty hemi), and I stop every 90 minutes to wipe bugs off of my car.

On the other hand, it is a Hemi Super Track Pack Challenger. I would be lying if I said that after a very very professionally done 700 mile break-in, I didnt get on it hard a couple of times. This car is so powerful, that combined with the gearing, it Routinely chirps 4th gear on aggressive shifts. She is spectacular.

I havent even figured out how to properly launch the car from a dig yet, so I dont really do it. I just ease into the throttle, and if I feel froggy, I lay into the throttle coming off of a roll.

Now comes the problem. I developed gear whine, well honestly probably almost immedeately. at 500 miles it was faint, and at 700 miles, at 45 miles an hour there were noticeable harmonics, including a nasty grumble on decel, out of gear hitting the brakes.

I take it into my dealer, in the middle of my work day, after I get out of court. I am wearing my suit and tie, I have my briefcase, I am clean shaven, and I look professional. I explain the problem to the service guy, and I get alot of "Yes Sir. No Sir, Absolutely Sir, Common Problem Sir, Look at it right away sir."

it is determined by a tech that there is a problem, he sends an email off to mother chrysler to determine the next step. I leave with the car, and await an answer.

I come back in a couple of days later, this time wearing my street clothes. T-shirt, Jeans, Adidas (typically how I'm found if I'm not in court). Another tech drives it (even though I made a note with the service guy that I wanted to go ON the test drive with the tech). He comes back with my car, and before I can even open my mouth, he starts using words like "banging gears, power shifting, racing, and abuse."

It doesnt take me very long to get $#1tty with the tech. I explain that thats ridiculous, its my work car, and I dont care what I did to it in 700 miles, theres no excuse for the noise the rear diff is making. I can tell he understimates my knowledge and background, and its also obvious to me, that he may have either the same, or slightly less than my 9 years experience.

After a 15 minute argument, including bitching at the service manager, they reveal to me, that the original tech's email was returned by chrysler, and that they are calling for a complete differential replacement.

So Now I sit here and wait for the parts to come in, wondering if the tech is going to scratch up my car, or stain my interior, or bend my exhaust pipe, or break something else under there, while I ponder why a brand new car would need a new rear end at under 1k miles. Its my first Dodge. I hope things improve from here :(

Although, all of the ranting aside, I still love this car. I feel like a mayor in a parade everywhere I go. It makes children smile, it makes girls throw numbers at me, and it makes baby boomers reminisce about their booming days. I treat it well, and I have loved just about every day of my ownership. I just hope this problem goes away and doesnt come back, although my initial research using the "search button" tells me this may be a recurring theme in my Challenger Ownership. WTH Chrysler??????????? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Wow. That sucks.

I hope I don't have that problem. Did they say if the problem was unique to the super track pack and 3.92 gears? I hope I don't have that issue. Mine's an automatic with 3.06 gears.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly from the research I've done, its a crap shoot, but it does seem to be affecting stickshift cars more.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
... After a 15 minute argument, including bitching at the service manager, they reveal to me, that the original tech's email was returned by chrysler, and that they are calling for a complete differential replacement....
This is poor customer service to say the least. Why the heck did they have a second technician look at you car? Unbelievable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wonder why dealer mechanics let it get personal? The guy should be happy because it's more work for him. This is how dealers make a killing financially. Warranty work for them is usually bread and butter. I hope they sort it out.

Ivan

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I would recommend retaining an attorney... No wait.

Seriously, the dealership will probably get your rear replaced good as new.

Try not to sweat it. I know, easy for me to say, but getting worked up won't do you any good. Keep your cool and see how everything works out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
He thought he could get away with it. Sonds like you handled it wonderfully. Bet they wont try that again.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My Ram ate it's rearend at about 12K. I didn't even realize how noisy it had gotten until a couple of days before I took it in. They recommended that I change the rear lube, and see what happens. When the tech started sucking the old lube out, it was obvious that there was major damage, and he took the cover off and it was obvious that it needed almost everything replaced. They had left a clip off at the factory, and it wouldn't have been too long before the rear end locked up. They had all the parts, and I picked the truck up 6 hours later, with gears, carrier, posi, etc, all replaced. They checked the front end, and it looked great. I had almost 60K on the truck when I traded it for my Charger in Dec '07, and I never had another issue, period.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dealership hate? get in line. Told me that my over revving the motor to 3000 rpm caused a broken valve spring. And then gave me the car back with oil running out of the valve covers.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'd suggest looking around for another dealership to work with once they fix your problem. If you're not happy there take your business elsewhere. There are lots of good dealers out there, you just have to look...and based on your background you know what to look for. Good luck

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
It's not a perfect world and no product is perfect especially if it's mass produced. Get it fixed with the warranty that is provided to deal with circumstances like this and go to a different dealer if this one is not satisfactory to you. Maybe they don't like lawyers:scratchhead:

Adjourned.:eek:rder:

·
Registered
389 Posts
You got to wonder about dealer shops sometimes. If I recall, a couple of the Challenger "packages" are advertised by Dodge as "track ready" - like the SRT8 and the R/Ts with the Track Packs. Even if it was driven hard and/or aggressively, the car is engineered to handle the power output - its not like there's an under built rear end on a factory optioned Challenger. If there is a problem, that's what warranties are SUPPOSED to be for - repair/replace defective parts/components that don't perform to the specs they were engineered for. This isn't rocket science...I could understand a little push back if you rolled in there with a supercharger that put out some big boost, but a stock option package? You'd think a dealer shop would "get it." Evidently the manufacturer did - hence the email "replace the differential." Definitely try a different dealership for future service/warranty issues...

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I'm just don't understand why, after they had already driven the car, and already received the repair authorization from Chrysler, they decided to give you a hard time. Seems really counterproductive. Would have been no skin off their azz to treat you decently. I would be writing a letter to the owner of the dealership, and to Chrysler, and would probably be taking my business elsewhere.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You did everything right, even to the point that you think they're probably going to spit into your sandwich.

Don't worry about it, it's all part of the process.
Do give your car a once over when repairs are complete but I doubt you'll find anything, most service depts are half way professional and respect their craft, not that they won't get bitchy as what they feel caused the problem.

The bottom line is you got a warranty, and with no mods or ostensible proof you've been abusing the car they have to work with you.

Like others have said, don't like the vibe from one dealer, bring it to another.

You like the car so that's 90% of it, hang in there.
:smoker:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the advice guys. I still havent heard anything back from the dealership about my parts coming in. I guess im going to have to get on them. definately going to look for a different dealership, but south florida's running out of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First of all, let me just say how much I hate dealing with dealerships and making warranty claims. I have been a mechanic since I was 17 years old. Started picking my certifications up starting at 18. by the time I was 24, I was an ASE certified master tech, and I was ford certified on the powerstroke 7.3, and the new powerstroke 6.0, and I had a job as a Fleet Manager at a medium size towing company. I serviced, maintained, and repaired 9 trucks, ranging from an F250 4x4 wheel lift, all the way up to a UD HD 20k lb pull capacity (which I should point out routinely carried 2x times its lift/pull capacity).

Now now Blake. You forget that some people know who you are.

I don't know if you're trying to impress somebody, but the complete lie you just told in this paragraph is a little funny.

If you're going to lie about this, how do we know that you aren't lying about the rest?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Now now Blake. You forget that some people know who you are.

I don't know if you're trying to impress somebody, but the complete lie you just told in this paragraph is a little funny.

If you're going to lie about this, how do we know that you aren't lying about the rest?
Hmmmm :fight:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Doesn't ayone ever slip the the service manager like $20 to be taken care of, sure makes him "remember" you by name. My C6 corvette was four months out of warrranty and the rear end was noisy. I had $400 worth of work performed, under the expired warranty for nothing. of course I tipped the service manager $40. It was low mileage and thats the reason he used for doing a good will job for a customer. They have all kinds of wiggle room if you are reasonable and grease the right wheel. Tell me, if someone slipped you lunch money you wouldn't do everything possible for them that was in your power? Also lunch money ($10) got my DRL's turned on without a fuss. Remember, TIPS, to insure proper service, works everywhere not just at a restaurant.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Doesn't ayone ever slip the the service manager like $20 to be taken care of, sure makes him "remember" you by name. My C6 corvette was four months out of warrranty and the rear end was noisy. I had $400 worth of work performed, under the expired warranty for nothing. of course I tipped the service manager $40. It was low mileage and thats the reason he used for doing a good will job for a customer. They have all kinds of wiggle room if you are reasonable and grease the right wheel. Tell me, if someone slipped you lunch money you wouldn't do everything possible for them that was in your power? Also lunch money ($10) got my DRL's turned on without a fuss. Remember, TIPS, to insure proper service, works everywhere not just at a restaurant.
:bigthumb: Totally agree. I've been doing that ever since I brought my Challengers in. That's absolutely the best, easiest, and longrun cheapest-hassle free method of having the dealer go to bat for you if ever needed. YOU ARE RIGHT ON!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts