Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see many at car shows but Challengers are no shows at the dragstrip. What gives? Is it a regional problem or what? Don't see but 1 or 2 all season here in central Alabama.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's because the Camaros and mustangs pay us not to show up!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
456 Posts
Were busy taking our girls out on the town in our cars. The other guys don't pull as much trim as we do!

But really its probably the same reason you don't see that many on the streets. Haven't been around that long. Rustangs and Gaymaros have been around forever theres millions of each of them. Not a whole lot of Challengers out there. Percentage wise, if theres 1 or 2 at the track that's probably about right.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I dont see how taking it to the track would "blow it up" but I would be worried about my insurance in case of an incident. Ive already had my insurance company tell me its not insured at any track and if there were an accident that they wouldnt cover it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
I guess automatics not too hard on the car, full out 6-speed 1/4 mile runs much harder on the equipment.

And good point about the insurance, that too. Also I read on another forum that some Mustangs had their warranties voided after video of their cars in action were posted. Can't do much of anything these days without somebody watching.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
One of the reasons the challenger is a heavy car.But the best looking car. Iam glad that there is not a lot of challengers out there on the road.HEMIB5BLUE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanx for the answers. I see quite a few on the street(ran a lot more on the street than the strip by a long shot). The SRTs run very well for their weight and to be honest I would be driving one if the computers weren't crap compared to the GM of Ford computer. I'm a car guy, not a brand cheerleader. I also would have chose a 5.0 if the manual tranny wasn't crap compared to the GM or Dodge TR6060.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
I rarely see Challengers here at my local tracks. I'm normally the only one running and if I do happen to see another, most do not seem that interested in talking.

·
Banned
1,898 Posts
In the past couple of years I have seen two modern. Not on the same day. I'm usually the only one there and I guess that's why people there that race on a regular basis won't line up with me to get spanked by a sixer. Unsuspecting ricers usually line up next to me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Our South TX Mopar club holds a special track night at my local drag strip every other month. The track usually gives out free spectator passes to the club so everyone can come out and have a good time. Usually 50 plus Mopars show up, old and new, but the bulk of the cars are late model Challengers as far as the eye can see, it’s a beautiful sight to see. But even on a regular track night, you can usually find a good mix of Mopars tearing it up.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,050 Posts
I've run mine at the track quite a number of times. I have seen a good number of Challengers at my local track and run against a few of them. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of them running here.

Of course there are lots more Mustangs both old and new, but I really don't see many of the new(er) Camaros at the track. I always try to run them if they show up but its rare that they do. I really like running against Mustangs, Camaros, and Vettes. The guys in vettes are usually game when I ask them to race but most Mustang and Camaro guys seem to chicken out. I'm not really sure why?????

Beat this guy in a Camaro SS by 6 1/1000 at "All Out Call Out" 2 years ago with my previous RT. We both were running street tires.

All out call out II by vichris08, on Flickr

:5:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Raced 4 different 6-speeds a total of 6 times. a 6.4, 6.1 and 2 5.7's and won every race.I never saw any of them return.Only the 6.4 was close and that was when all I had was a drop in K&N and magnaflow mufflers.I ran 8.84 to his 8.88. The next race he did a long smoky burnout on those F1's and went into limp mode at the tree.

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
Raced 4 different 6-speeds a total of 6 times. a 6.4, 6.1 and 2 5.7's and won every race.I never saw any of them return.Only the 6.4 was close and that was when all I had was a drop in K&N and magnaflow mufflers.I ran 8.84 to his 8.88. The next race he did a long smoky burnout on those F1's and went into limp mode at the tree.
If you ran a full 1/4 mile, instead of an 1/8, the 6.1 and 6.4 would have reeled you in.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,050 Posts
If you ran a full 1/4 mile, instead of an 1/8, the 6.1 and 6.4 would have reeled you in.
I second that..........and I'm betting that those other racers were pretty inexperienced at the track............ :5:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Theres not many showing up at our track either. Me, dad, theres a 6.1 Challenger and a black 426 with Maggie challenger shows up on great weather days. Couple chargers here and there but my local track is dominated in population with Mustangs. Not many Camaros show up either maybe 3-5 a night. I like the competition with that many Mustangs. Our track opens April 5th I cant wait.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yep it’s tricky to get a good launch with a M6, remember most have 3.92 gears, so it’s usually a no go without drag radials. My SRT8 392 M6 best time was using the factory launch control hit a 2.1 60’ 8.49 87.31 mph 1/8 and 12.996 110 mph 1/4. Otherwise I was stuck at 13.2’s all night with 2.4 60’ or worse, lots of wheel spin. But I was still able to reel in a couple of 4.6 mustangs running 10" slicks, they had good 60' but the 392 made it up on the top end. Can’t wait to get my drag radials and try a hard launch with the ESP fully disabled should be a solid 12 second run.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Simple Math

4 times as many Mustangs and 3 times as many Camaro's were built/sold by the much larger GM/Ford corporations.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts