Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Dodge being the king of retro themes with the Challenger/Charger, how come they haven't resurrected the Lil' Red Express?

A 6.4 dropped into a 2 wheel drive, regular cab, 1/2 ton would be a strong performer for sure.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warlocks were cool.
Not as cool as Lil' Red's but a nice option for those that lived in the Snow belt.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In 2004 I ordered a new Dodge 1/2 ton regular cab truck. 4 wheel drive w/ a 5.7 hemi/A5. It had 20 inch wheels, big brakes, 275 tires square and a posi rear end w/3:90's.
I thought it looked great with its chrome grill, bumpers and wheels against its granite metallic paint.

Back then the 5.7 only had 345hp. It still pushed that truck pretty good.
0-50ish mph felt strong. Beyond that, it started losing steam.
After 85 mph, it really began to lay down... but hey, what do you want from a 4 wheel drive truck??

A high performance 6.4 w/A8 would be a super strong performer. It would easily hang with GM's 6.2 and Fords TT3.5.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
1.) Needs to be a step side
2.) the stacks do not belong inside the bed.

It is cool though.

The problem I have with ram is, you can not get the extended cab and an 8'-0" bed. The only truck you can get an 8'-0" bed on is a work truck....

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The short bed works better for a Lil' Red Express, but a 8 footer would be more useful if you were really working the truck.

I did see that Mr. Norm had a Lil' Red Express edition available back in 2009/2010. That was his creation thou, not a direct factory effort.

I agree with you, that with out the step side and exposed exhaust stacks, something is lost.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
The short bed works better for a Lil' Red Express, but a 8 footer would be more useful if you were really working the truck.

I did see that Mr. Norm had a Lil' Red Express edition available back in 2009/2010. That was his creation thou, not a direct factory effort.

I agree with you, that with out the step side and exposed exhaust stacks, something is lost.
Yes a short bed for a tribute to the 77-78 "sport trucks" but in general an extended cab with an 8'-0" bed would be a nice addition to the line up.
A buddy of mine got a Chevy because Dodge did not offer one.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
819 Posts
LRE with a supercharged 6.2L and AWD from a Trackhawk would be a nice sleeper....

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,381 Posts
Well the Warlock is back as the TRX (4wd Hellcat powertrain)
And hell yes, make a Lil' Red!
The SRT10 should have had a Special Red edition trimmed in gold.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That TRX is awesome.
I had read that there was to be 2 different engine options for it. The Top dog was/is the supercharged 6.2 Hellcat engine.
The other was to be a 7.0 N/A (426 cid) engine. Sadly, that didn't happen.... yet.

Ford just introduced their new 7.3 N/A gas V8, in the 2500/3500 Superduty's.
Hopefully this will light a fire under FCA's ass and get the 7.0 (426) back on track.

The hope would be by having a 426 in the truck production line, it would end up an option for the Challenger/Charger.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What the hell happened to the "edit" function??

Any ways the new Ford 7.3 Gas V8 is a pushrod engine, NOT a cammer like the rest of the Ford gas line up.

Come on FCA, now is the time to unleash the 426!!

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
819 Posts
What the hell happened to the "edit" function??

Any ways the new Ford 7.3 Gas V8 is a pushrod engine, NOT a cammer like the rest of the Ford gas line up.

Come on FCA, now is the time to unleash the 426!!
Click on the column of three dots.....

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,602 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
1.) Needs to be a step side
2.) the stacks do not belong inside the bed.

It is cool though.

The problem I have with ram is, you can not get the extended cab and an 8'-0" bed. The only truck you can get an 8'-0" bed on is a work truck....
Have you thought about how LONGGGGG that truck would be? No thanks.

If I need an 8' box for work......the standard cab s good enough.

Fact is I own a standard cab with the short box. love the truck. It not only looks better this way but it's far more maneuverable in tighter spots than most trucks today.

I may be the best person to talk to on this though. My priorities may be quite different that yours.

I do like a better looking truck and I'm willing to give away the extra capacity a full sized box provides. (I'm sure the contractor who wants to easily carry 4x8' sheets of plywood or drywall will see this very differently.

The other thing I wanted in this truck is the ability to plow a long driveway with curves and buildings to work around. Again that shorter wheel base and overall length is a huge advantage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts