Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the 5.7L owners manual recommend spark plugs replacement at only 30,000 miles while the 6.1L says can go to 100,000 miles?

That's a huge difference but they are both HEMI engines.:scratchhead:

What have you guys experienced, is it really necessary to change plugs that early on 5.7L?

(Wife is looking to buy a new 2011 Charger R/T so that's how this question came up).

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
The 5.7s have different plugs. We have copper plugs stock, so they recommend a 30k interval.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So all we'd have to do is change to a better plug like Iridium to get triple the change interval?

Wow it's surprising Dodge didn't do that as a simple selling point.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I wouldn't change the 5.7L plugs to the ultra thin center electrode material so fast... visit the Ram/Charger Clubs with 5.7L's and see all the idle and stumble problems when going that route - better to know all the headaches seen with them before removing 16 of those little suckers twice.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Yeah I just changed mine back to the oems. They were hard to find but I got them

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah thanks Robo & Chris, I didn't think of that, saved me a bunch of trouble.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Have you ever seen 100,000 mile plugs. Here are a set from a 8.1L Chevy used in an RV and only had 78,000. These are Denso Platinum's and were replaced with AC Delco.

Here is photo of new versus old.

Lastly, I have had issues with plugs that have not been changed or looked at that were factory installed. I will pull my plugs at say 10 to 15k to check them and add a dab of Never Seize to the threads.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeah I just changed mine back to the oems. They were hard to find but I got them
what had you changed to Chris and why the change back?

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
what had you changed to Chris and why the change back?
Oops, I didn't mean it that way lol. I just meant, once the time came I changed them out with the OEM ones lol. Never had anything else in her

·
Registered
437 Posts
Oops, I didn't mean it that way lol. I just meant, once the time came I changed them out with the OEM ones lol. Never had anything else in her
oh cool. I think that's the route I'm gonna go as well.

·
Registered
629 Posts
100K mile spark plugs are a sales gimmick, nothing more, just like 6 year / 150,000 mile antifreeze. Plugs aren't expensive, and putting in a fresh set every 30 K miles isn't going to be outrageously expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had my plugs changed at 30,000. Asked the dealer about changing to a platinum plug to avoid the 30,000 mile change and was told that the plug used in the 5.7 Hemi is made by NJK for that engine, and only that engine, and that changing to a platinum will lead to nothing but troubles. The 5.7 Hemi plug is hard to come buy (dealer had half of what was needed and had to get the rest from another dealer) and expensive. Sounds like we're stuck with the 30,000 mile change.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been following this thread, but I still don't understand why platinum-tipped plugs shouldn't be used. This is my first Dodge, but I've always used platinum in my Mustangs and changed plugs every 100K-110K miles without issue. :dunno:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
So all we'd have to do is change to a better plug like Iridium to get triple the change interval?

Wow it's surprising Dodge didn't do that as a simple selling point.
Then you would not be coming in for $200 visits as often

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
^^^X2! They changed back to gasket base in 09, claim it's about resistance in the new plugs, but still no reason to not go at least platinum tipped plugs. The 3.5 do, probably cause you have to remove the upper intake to change them. I have run platinum CORE plugs in everything till now, but went to iridium core, platinum negitive electrode ( Bosch Fusions) on the 04 5.7. Give it a little time, and they will surely be avaliable, as I've yet to not see an IMPROVEMENT in any engine switched to iridiums.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I can't speak to the Hemi plugs as I have yet to pull a set to examine them. But, I can tell you how GM does it.

There are no longer "heat ranges" per se. The plugs used in a 8.1L were 41-983. But, we found out via the dyno that the 41-932 was a better plug to run. GM changed that number to 41-993 and increased the price. The 41-993 platinum plug was replace with the 41-101 Iridium. Again another price increase. What's difference other than the physical difference... None that I am aware of as I have tested them in my RV for over a year. But, remember I am running a tune in my 8.1L.

Normally I would stick to the original plug for most stock engines. When you get into mods like intakes, cams, heads etc then you need to look the igination system to match to requirements of the engine.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Yep same deal with our cars. No heat ranges, it's ALL bout resistance values. First tho it's basic science that metal transfers with spark, harder the metal, less tranferance, longer life. It's; copper>(transferance) platinum tipped>platinum cored> iridium cored. Had put iridiums in 04 5.7, and called my bud at dealership down here, when I got my 09 3.5 platinum TIPPED Challenger. He got on phone with NGK and they said they had spent TONS of time and $ to develope the plugs ( NGK is stock 09-), and said NONE had the specs and were shocked to be asked! Soo thats why I think in a while the others will start making Iridiums once they figure out da big secret, LOL!

·
Registered
714 Posts
100K mile spark plugs are a sales gimmick, nothing more, just like 6 year / 150,000 mile antifreeze. Plugs aren't expensive, and putting in a fresh set every 30 K miles isn't going to be outrageously expensive.
Depends on the vehicle. I mean imagine one of those crappy Ford or GM minivans with the 90 degree V6 engine, three plugs relatively simple to replace, but the other 3, are up inside the dashboard and to replace them, "step 1: remove engine by raising the vehicle above", LOL to hell with that!

On the Chally V8 it doesn't seem so bad to change 'em

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Rock auto has replacement plugs for 2010 R/T's Autolite double platinum for $3.97 ea. , another platinum by ACDelco for $6.25 and an iridium by Autolite for 5.03(sale)They dont list a copper plug.????

·
Registered
504 Posts
Spark plugs

Spark Plug
Part No.
Stock No.
Plug Gap
Photo
Standard LZFR5C-11 #.044

Laser Platinum PLZFR5B13EG * .044

* “Laser Series” Platinum center electrode, and Platinum pad ground electrode