Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is sure to be a contentious issue, but I figured the folks here have seen just about anything with this car are you are probably the best lot to ask.

I'm in the market to buy a new Challenger, although paint issues might have me waiting for a 2012. I'm currently driving a 2004 Audi TT Roadster that I've put many miles on. While it's a fun car, I'm now looking for something a little bigger and with a little more grunt. The Audi AWD handles brilliantly in the snow for such a small car, which is important as I live in Michigan and I don't have the parking or desire for a "winter beater". I'm also a gadget guy, so whatever I decide on needs to play well with bluetooth phones (Android specifically) and the more electronic bells and whistles the better. I live in a downtown condo with no indoor parking so whatever I buy will live it's whole life outside. I do a lot of highway driving but also am tooling around the city quite a bit as well. The TT is in good shape and I don't have any particular reason to buy a car right this minute, but you know how it goes - once the thought is in your head it's hard to get out :)

I'm drawn to the Challenger as it's a simply beautiful car, and I fell in love with it after test driving both a 2011 SRT and a 2011 R/T. The SRT is a little excessive for me, but the R/T is just about perfect in regards to performance, features, and price. The handling is obviously different from my little 2 seater, but in a good way and I'm ready for something a little less "german" without going to a full-on family sedan.

In short, I have a million reasons to want to buy one yesterday. The paint shortage is unfortunately going to hold me off for a while until Chrysler figures their situation out, giving me time to pause and reflect.

Thus, my question to you Challenger fans: what don't you like about the Challenger? What would you change if you where in charge? What things, little or big, bother you about the vehicle in your daily use? I know everyone here is by definition a fan of this car, but I refuse to believe anything is perfect and I know there's always room for improvement.

Don't worry about talking me out of buying one, as I'm pretty well set on it (providing somebody can actually get me one in black with the options I want!)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The biggest problem i had was a lot of items I thought should be standard where not (at least on the 2010s) ie: hood struts, splash guards, and a interior compartment filter to name a few minor things.

Would I buy again HELL YES but these small things make me feel a little nickel and dimmed for a car that I paid good money for.

Oh and the biggest thing that made me go, what the hell where they thinking.... a driver side seat that does not tilt forward to gain access to the back seat........

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
give you reasons NOT to buy one... ok, the mustang GT, BOSS and Shelby will almost always be faster at the track, if track supremecy is what you need then you don't want to buy a challenger.

If you don't care for being the center of attention whenever you drive someplace, and don't want people trying to get your attention at stoplights, or bothering you at gas stations with questions, then the challenger isn't for you.

Don't focus too much on paint issues, if you aren't getting an srt8, you don't have to worry about the 392 power, nor the shortage in available cars, The r/t is basically the same as last year, just find a 2010 that has the super track pack on it and you have lots of choices available without waiting till 2012.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
The only reason I can think of is that you are used to AWD in the snow. At a minimum you need to factor a good set of winter tires and wheels into your cost equation. If you have no experience with a RWD vehicle in the snow and ice, you might think twice before jumping into the Challenger as your only vehicle.

Maybe wait and get a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I drove mine in the snow with some good winter tires. It handles pretty good, nothing like the Audi of course but its safe and drivable. with esp off in the snow it can be a lot of fun too. I would def like better interior quality.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sadly (for your pocketbook), just one nitpicky issue for me so far, and far from a reason not to purchase.

Nav / media center (730n) is... lacking. I'd do a complete redesign of that train wreck. I personally have zero experience with other auto "media centers", but without even looking elsewhere - there has to be a better way.

Also, I've mentioned before, but a 30gb hard drive in which the preloaded nav system, etc, takes up more than half that... seems like a cruel joke when there are 2tb hard drives to be had for less than $100 retail.

That's it so far. (and that ain't bad)

@Rudedog - they cured 1/2 your complaints on the 2011's, but yeah, agreed on the cabin filters... wtf?!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The biggest problem i had was a lot of items I thought should be standard where not (at least on the 2010s) ie: hood struts, splash guards, and a interior compartment filter to name a few minor things.

Would I buy again HELL YES but these small things make me feel a little nickel and dimmed for a car that I paid good money for.

Oh and the biggest thing that made me go, what the hell where they thinking.... a driver side seat that does not tilt forward to gain access to the back seat........
These are exactly the sort of things I've been wondering about. Thanks!

give you reasons NOT to buy one... ok, the mustang GT, BOSS and Shelby will almost always be faster at the track, if track supremecy is what you need then you don't want to buy a challenger.
Track performance isn't really an issue for me. I don't find racing your daily driver to be a car lifetime-extending habit.

If you don't care for being the center of attention whenever you drive someplace, and don't want people trying to get your attention at stoplights, or bothering you at gas stations with questions, then the challenger isn't for you.
This is something I think I could get used to. The TT turns a lot of heads with the top down, but I don't think it can stand up to the jaw-dropping power of the Challenger :p

Don't focus too much on paint issues, if you aren't getting an srt8, you don't have to worry about the 392 power, nor the shortage in available cars, The r/t is basically the same as last year, just find a 2010 that has the super track pack on it and you have lots of choices available without waiting till 2012.
Being a gadget guy, there's a couple little things I like about the 2011 R/T, specifically being the A2DP streaming bluetooth audio (which I use constantly in my existing car) and the keyless ignition (which is just darn cool). Having said that, I'll start digging around for 2010 options now that they are starting to see some good discounts. All of these are good points, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only reason I can think of is that you are used to AWD in the snow. At a minimum you need to factor a good set of winter tires and wheels into your cost equation. If you have no experience with a RWD vehicle in the snow and ice, you might think twice before jumping into the Challenger as your only vehicle.

Maybe wait and get a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. :scratchhead:
It's been a while but I think I can handle the RWD. I'd sell my sister for an AWD Challenger.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The only viable reason I can think of to not get a Challenger is if you cannot afford one. Otherwise, DO IT!!!

This is the most fun driving experience I have ever had.... EVER

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly (for your pocketbook), just one nitpicky issue for me so far, and far from a reason not to purchase.

Nav / media center (730n) is... lacking. I'd do a complete redesign of that train wreck. I personally have zero experience with other auto "media centers", but without even looking elsewhere - there has to be a better way.

Also, I've mentioned before, but a 30gb hard drive in which the preloaded nav system, etc, takes up more than half that... seems like a cruel joke when there are 2tb hard drives to be had for less than $100 retail.

@Rudedog - they cured 1/2 your complaints on the 2011's, but yeah, agreed on the cabin filters... wtf?!
My mucking about with the various nav units lead me to the same conclusion. The trouble is that I have Google Maps on a 4.3" screen sitting in my pocket and the functionality is pretty hard to beat. In regards to your last point - what specifically is different in the 2011s from Rudedog's list?

·
Registered
448 Posts
The seats are terribly hard to extract oneself from...especially the driver's seat. Hideous problem that.

Oh the only other thing is the super awesome dealership support. If you can deal with that, then welcome aboard. It's going to be night and day from Audi's dealership experience though.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
As I avoid downtown like the plague, I can only imagine but I'd say parallel parking as rear vision is a big problem with this car.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Super Track Pack has summer tires, so you'll want to avoid that (get a 2011 for the better suspension...and interest rate since apparently the dealerships are getting worse interest rates on the 2010s because the banks are considering them used).

Blind spots are bad. Need to move the mirrors WAY out away from the car to be able to safely drive on the expressway.

It is hard to not get tickets.

·
Banned
407 Posts
As I avoid downtown like the plague, I can only imagine but I'd say parallel parking as rear vision is a big problem with this car.
+1

also at 197.7" long, you're about 3'2" longer than your TT, that'll get some getting used to

·
Registered
137 Posts
The only viable reason I can think of to not get a Challenger is if you cannot afford one. Otherwise, DO IT!!!

This is the most fun driving experience I have ever had.... EVER
^^ What he said. :D I've never had so much fun with a car before. Ever.

As others have said... only little issues... things that should come standard, like splash-guards and hood struts.

·
Registered
585 Posts

im not 100% sure but a rearview camera may be offered as an option for 2011, but if not just get a lockpick with a rearview camera. U can pick one up for less than $300 and anyone who has one will tell u it is defin itely worth every penny. It also fools the nav unit so u can program adresses in while u are driving ( u can also play dvd's while driving but i wouldn't recommend it.)

·
Super Moderator
15,963 Posts
* If you're set on having AWD, the Charger is offered with that driveline option.

* The 20" Goodyear F1 (SRT & R/T Classic with STP option) won't work well in snow or cold temperatures. Even the 18" tires (R/T) are marginal in icy / hard packed snow - so snow tires would definitely be a necessity.

* The Keyless ignition is available on R/Ts that have Elect. Convenience Group (std. or SRT)

* There's a bit of mileage you take a hit on with SRT (pre '11) especially with the automatic. With the 'stick, you gain some better MPG ratings. The 5.7 R/T engine overall has higher MPG ratings over the 6.1.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts

Nav / media center (730n) is... lacking. I'd do a complete redesign of that train wreck. I personally have zero experience with other auto "media centers", but without even looking elsewhere - there has to be a better way. :browsmiley:

Nav Systen - $2400 CDN

iPad w/3G + maps google and accompanying blonde navigator - $700 + :guiness:

New Challenger - Priceless!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Get a 2011 over a 2010. Better suspension as others have said, among other small enhancements (like a drivers seat that folds forward to let passengers out).

They don't have a backup camera, but if you get the touchscreen media center, for 280 bucks and some time you can install one yourself. I just got done doing mine today.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts