Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I read this SE forum, I find it interesting to make a V6 faster, but the thought is always in my head - why not just buy an R/T in the first place and be done with it?

Well for me, the cost is a major problem. Then the gas mileage. Then the extra insurance cost.

It reminds me of the 90's, when all I drove were the late 60's and early 70's RWD Mopars. I was THAT GUY in a town full of ford and gm people!

However, I could never manage to afford any true performance Mopars. Anything with a 340 or larger, and the owner thought the car was made of gold or something.

So I spent lots of time and effort squeezing an extra 15-20 horsepower out of Slant Sixes and 318s. I'd make plans for a new engine build, even on a 318 and I'd get all psyched up for it. Yeah ported heads will be great, they'll just cost a few hundred extra. But wait, while I'm at it, it'd be stupid not to put in a nice camshaft! Add another $200 or so. An aluminum 4 barrel intake, headers, higher compression pistons, etc..

In less than a minute, my $500 rebuild tuned into a $2000 major job that I had NO chance at all of being able to pay for. Then I'd get all frustrated, having to settle for a 318 with a 4 bbl intake and Thermoquad, and the intake had 340/360 size ports, but I couldn't afford to pull the 318 heads off, port match them, and put them back on....

It never ends!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH:ack:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
As I read this SE forum, I find it interesting to make a V6 faster, but the thought is always in my head - why not just buy an R/T in the first place and be done with it?

Well for me, the cost is a major problem. Then the gas mileage. Then the extra insurance cost.

It reminds me of the 90's, when all I drove were the late 60's and early 70's RWD Mopars. I was THAT GUY in a town full of ford and gm people!

However, I could never manage to afford any true performance Mopars. Anything with a 340 or larger, and the owner thought the car was made of gold or something.

So I spent lots of time and effort squeezing an extra 15-20 horsepower out of Slant Sixes and 318s. I'd make plans for a new engine build, even on a 318 and I'd get all psyched up for it. Yeah ported heads will be great, they'll just cost a few hundred extra. But wait, while I'm at it, it'd be stupid not to put in a nice camshaft! Add another $200 or so. An aluminum 4 barrel intake, headers, higher compression pistons, etc..

In less than a minute, my $500 rebuild tuned into a $2000 major job that I had NO chance at all of being able to pay for. Then I'd get all frustrated, having to settle for a 318 with a 4 bbl intake and Thermoquad, and the intake had 340/360 size ports, but I couldn't afford to pull the 318 heads off, port match them, and put them back on....

It never ends!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH:ack:
It's called being a moterhead/car guy. It doesn't matter what the car is, 4-banger, 6-banger, or 8-banger. It's why there is a market for anything, including aftermarket parts for Chevy's blueflame/stovebolt 6-cyl. It's why Manta sport sold goodies for Cavelier's and sunbirds with 4-cyls.

It's whay Inertia Motor sport, along with their V8 monsters, they are building a 4.0L stroker V6 from the 3.5L.

It's all in fun!

I was the same way, did that to my 86' Grand Prix. Started out really simple, showed pretty amazing gains actually, then bought headers for a Monte Carlo SS, bought the Edelbrock intake, and so on.... I had it so far apart, I decided I could pull the whole thing and rebuild the 305. Of course as I started looking into it, it turned as you said, into a $2000 project. $700 more and I bought a Chevy 383 stroker long block and added my instake and headers.

The SE is a strange beast and not one the rest of the Challenger owners understand well. I really can't explain it myself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 340 set up in my 65 valiant running mid 11's. However i would give the se to my wife or son or who ever and save up for the srt. I saved for two years. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I don't tend to spend money on go fast mods.
some people don't waste money on appearance mods...they like a go fast car in primer gray
in the end people spend money on what they enjoy and who am I to question it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I tried to trade my Impala SS for an SE a few weeks ago, to have for my new daily driver, but we couldn't come close on price. I would have put the dual exhaust from my R/T on the SE, along with wheels and tires. And being the tinkerer I am, probably would have looked into supercharging or turbocharging the SE. There's always something about sleepers that have fascinated me, and that would have been my chance. Maybe another time.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
In bracket racing, the fastest car has nothing on someone who runs consistent times.

I remember there was a girl who ran a K5 Chevy Blazer with headers and an Edlebrock manifold and would turn high ET's in the 1/4 very consistently. She was always cleaning house and bringing home the cash in bracket racing events because she ran the same exact time pretty much all of the time and could dial in her time right on the button. If you're not familar with bracket racing, that might be all Greek to you, but if I had a stock SE, I would certainly check it out and maybe make some supercharged SRT's cry.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
It's called the Ricky Bobby syndrome...just wanna go fast.

back in the day I had a 67 Nova with a 250 6cyl. I put a Muncie M22 4speed behind that sucker and with a little tuning I had it turning low 16's and when I hit 2nd gear it would practically put you in the back seat.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
In bracket racing, the fastest car has nothing on someone who runs consistent times.

I remember there was a girl who ran a K5 Chevy Blazer with headers and an Edlebrock manifold and would turn high ET's in the 1/4 very consistently. She was always cleaning house and bringing home the cash in bracket racing events because she ran the same exact time pretty much all of the time and could dial in her time right on the button. If you're not familar with bracket racing, that might be all Greek to you, but if I had a stock SE, I would certainly check it out and maybe make some supercharged SRT's cry.
Bracket racing is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The posts on here about twin turbos on the SE and engine rebuilding is wacky.
Sorry, it almost seems too bizarre to keep reading after a while.
If I ever got a SE, The only mod would be a new air freshener every month.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just some of the others had said, its being a motorhead or whatever. Some people well mess with things no matter what. Even if it was the fastest car car in the the world we would still try to make it faster. The car matters not, for some of us it a matter can we get it to do (whatever it may be faster, look better, etc etc) And then some buy the car for a regular DD but then get the itch and start. In the end, people are always going to spend money on their car the question is how much.
And that answer depends on how fast do they want to go. Or how good they want their car to look or whatever.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
it's been awhile for the 3.5L and finally some of the guys are looking for better performance and the motor is a great one it's internals will handle boost better than the 5.7L R/T :) For the longest time you have done all the visual mods to your cars and do them right. So it's good to see that love coming the way of V6. Just think of the look on the guy's face when he get's slapped by a SE it's going to be priceless also by giving the SE some azz along with it's lighter weight they could actually be very formidable on a auto cross or road course. But hey being that gear heads own all the different platforms of this car it's nice seeing people step outside of the box it makes for some interesting conversations. :)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Just some of the others had said, its being a motorhead or whatever. Some people well mess with things no matter what. Even if it was the fastest car car in the the world we would still try to make it faster. The car matters not, for some of us it a matter can we get it to do (whatever it may be faster, look better, etc etc) And then some buy the car for a regular DD but then get the itch and start. In the end, people are always going to spend money on their car the question is how much.
And that answer depends on how fast do they want to go. Or how good they want their car to look or whatever.
yep that is the :werd:

There is always faster, if I had a hemi, maybe I would not be happy till I could do 11.99 pure street. If I have a V6, mabye I want it to handle and stop better than a SRT, and be able to do a 14.99 pure street. Sure I would rather have the 11.99 hemi, but how ofter would I use it? Say and I'm being realistic here I would use WOT 5 times a week for 30 seconds total. Most of the racing I do is bracket and sure it is more fun bracket racing a 11.99 vs a 14.99, but the 14.99 wins more. I've been in the semi-finals many a time. Back to 30 seconds of WOT a week, so that is um:scratchhead: 26 minutes a year, the cost difference between a 11.99 hemi and a 14.99 SE over 5 years would be um dunno $20,000.00 and we are only talking straight line, the SE will be better mod for mod on handling and braking. that is not to say I can't have almost as much fun WOT with a 14.99 SE, I already have two other V8 with drag radials thank you.

So is $20,000 worth the 400 minutes of "more" fun at WOT, dunno, i think I'll have to suck it up and at the end of 5 years, buy myself a MINT 1969 Dart 340 4 speed make mine with A/C cause i want to drive it as much as I can. Oh and I don't really care about numbers match, I'll take a 406 CID aluminum head and aluminum intake painted orange and one of them new style AVS carb, 340 manifolds of course.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have my Classic car with a big block when I want to go racing. On the streets the cops are so tight about every little thing lately...The states are poor and this is how they are generating cash..ticket everything.... So my SE may look like a de-badged SRT but the v6 is stock, has plenty of get up and go but keeps my right foot a little lighter and my money close to me...where I like it :)

Steve

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I have my Classic car with a big block when I want to go racing. On the streets the cops are so tight about every little thing lately...The states are poor and this is how they are generating cash..ticket everything.... So my SE may look like a de-badged SRT but the v6 is stock, has plenty of get up and go but keeps my right foot a little lighter and my money close to me...where I like it :)

Steve
:werd: preach on brother

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Just today I was driving like a jerk in my Corolla, plenty fast with the manual to get into trouble with an officer, just by being annoying to other drivers (going around them, full throttle, chirping into second, 15-20 over the speed limit, you get the idea). An R/T? I'd just downright lose my license. I sit in my office with the speaker turned up so I can hear the dispatch talk to the officers. There has to be 6 cell phone calls for wreckless/fast drivers a day. Not to mention the kind of gas mileage I'd get with that kind of foot use on the R/T.

The SE I find makes me drive more docile and I like to just cruise.... I don't care what the traffic does when I'm in it. The other Corolla? I just want to get where I'm going.

I' not saying a little extra aftermarket oomph wouldn't be nice :)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I am a mellow cruz guy, I feel that when I drive the Challenger, I'm showing the general public that muscle car owners can drive sane. I get many thumbs up when I'm in the Callenger, it is such a good feeling. People are intrested in the car because of the look, the vast majority of the public would like to see the car and know it is driven by a sane person, then to see some punk burning out and weaving around traffic, that is what my type R is for, people expect that from a winged ricer:smokin:

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
and it is not all about going fast either. I used to have an SE and after fixing it up viusally, it won awards in about 6 car shows and one where I was the only SE and had to be entered in a RT modified division and still took a 3rd place home. I can tell you about mine, it was all about the blue stripes on the black. people loved it. I was constantly talking to folks about the car and they loved the looks. so, basically it is what do you want out of a car? and yes going fast does matter to some, just ask Hemiwoman about getting a SE under the 15 sec mark.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
and it is not all about going fast either. I used to have an SE and after fixing it up viusally, it won awards in about 6 car shows and one where I was the only SE and had to be entered in a RT modified division and still took a 3rd place home. I can tell you about mine, it was all about the blue stripes on the black. people loved it. I was constantly talking to folks about the car and they loved the looks. so, basically it is what do you want out of a car? and yes going fast does matter to some, just ask Hemiwoman about getting a SE under the 15 sec mark.

I like the idea of doing things that set it apart. Your stripes were definately one of those things. I'd say that when I saw your sig/car on another site that shall remain nameless, I had signed up here at Challenger talk before I even got my car.

Some things are certainly not to the liking of others, but it really doesn't matter. I hate it when someone in a particular car-crowd are just doing things to appease others with the same car.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Lets just say for grins 20 Challengers show up at the local monthly car show (not out of the question). Say all of them have mods, headers, ram air, dual exhaust, engine covers et all. Say only one has a blower and it is a V6, which car will have the biggest crowd? Just IMO, the blown v6 by far, gee everyone else has a hemi with a CAI or ram air and an enigne cover ect. But a blower and a V6... gotta have a look. Same could be said for the Camaro, Mustang, Hyundai coupe etc. Even intrest in the 5.0 will die down and more people will be intrested in a pro-charger V6 Mustang. Once you've seen 50 5.0 even with the BOSS intake, it gets well tired. Now a supercharger V6 Challenger with a Cuda NACA duct feeding an intercooler across the top of the engine... well that is a crowd. I'm still waiting for the Supra or GT-R engine in one...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Did lots of wrenching on my '71 383 Road Runner and R/T Challenger, cam, high rise and stuff. 43 thousand miles on my '09 SE G w/ leather and I havent touched a thing. Well, other than removing the Challenger name from the grill. Guess I'm gettin old. That and the fact I like the car just the way she is. Stock factory. And still fast. I do think some of your cars mods are intense though. Credit to all you guys (and girls) that go hands on to the max to get the most out of your cars.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts