Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Why was Redline Red not popular?

20K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  Lee955i 
#1 ·
Most of the red Challengers I see out there are either Torred or Octane Red. There are not very many Redline Red, which happens to be my favorite, with Octane in close second. I really don't care for Torred, has too much orange shading for me. Why was redline not more popular while it was around? Why did Dodge not produce many quick order packages in that color? I think it's a color that doesn't get nearly enough love.

#2 ·
I love Redline too. I don't think it's a matter of it not being popular, but some colors are only available for a certain amount of time. It seems TorRed has been available every year.

My car is purple, but I almost never see another one unless I'm at a car show.

#4 ·
That's a good question. I actually wanted to go with Redline red when I ordered my 2016. But the problem is that red seems to attract the wrong kind of attention. Not just cops/tickets, but the big problem is vandals and jealous *******s. That's why I went with silver.

It's a shame. I absolutely love Redline. It's a beautiful red with nice depth to it. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Redline red Challenger in my area. A few Chargers yes.

#7 ·
That's actually a good point. Darker or neutral colors like IndiGo, granite metallic, silver, black, destroyer grey, and white are all probably "safer" colors. Although, octane red isn't eye searing, it might be okay. I may have to bear that in mind when I finally buy my car.

#9 ·
MY 2015 6 speed rt is redline red and I am very happy with it. It is a tri coat paint that was an extra cost option. All the other colors were not extra cost so i think that limited the numbers ordered. My car is a one of one and I think being redline and a 6 speed is a big part of that. I have been careful and lucky that I have not needed paint repair. If I ever do it will be hard to match. I have been asked if it is a custom color. In some light conditions it is outstanding. In some light conditions it looks close to tor red which is also nice.

#10 ·
Extra cost option.

When Redline Red first was available in '11 (only red color, Torred was dropped only for that year...)

it was a $995 option for Redline Red

later it decreased to $495, probably from customer feedback about the high price.

There were three other colors in that price range of $495

>Ivory White Pearl ['14 - '15]
>Phantom Black Pearl ['14 '15]

#11 ·
I just saw a Redline Red Challenger RT at the Dodge dealer today. It looks like Dodge has made the color TorRed darker without the orange tint in it. I looked online at some 2018 and early year 2019 Challengers for sale and they all have the orange tint in them. But the TorRed one that I saw at the dealer today was a deeper Red color. It definitely does not have an orange tint to it. And to add to this, I used to own a TorRed 2008 Dodge Charger R/T Road and Track for the last 11 years and mine definitely had the orange tint in it. Has Dodge changed the TorRed color and taken out the orange tint from the paint for the second half of the 2019 year? What’s going on?

#21 · (Edited)
After searching for at least 9 months I was all set to make an offer on a 2014 100th Anniversary R/T in octane red. I went online one last time and there it was. A 2013 Redline Red Pearl SRT8 a Tulsa dealer had just got that day. Not a mark on the car and half the miles of the 14. Went there and paid in full the next business day. Couldn't be happier with it. I rarely have a day go by without getting a complement on it. One guy came out of a convenience store and said, "If I had that car and you had a feather up your ass, we'd both be tickled". I ordered the quarter scoops all ready painted and they matched the color perfectly. When I hear Torred I think Torange is more like it.

Attachments

#24 ·
Most of the red Challengers I see out there are either Torred or Octane Red. There are not very many Redline Red, which happens to be my favorite, with Octane in close second. I really don't care for Torred, has too much orange shading for me. Why was redline not more popular while it was around? Why did Dodge not produce many quick order packages in that color? I think it's a color that doesn't get nearly enough love.
$999.00 OPTION, most dealers didnt order/forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_crying.png
Honestly, what's an extra grand when you're already spending anywhere from $28,000 to $65,000 on a car if it's a sweet color?

#25 ·
Honestly, what's an extra grand when you're already spending anywhere from $28,000 to $65,000 on a car if it's a sweet color?
It's a great color - lots of visual pop. I recall when I saw the first ones in 2011

The budget conscious buyer that's looking at an SXT or R/T might have balked about it, since it would have been one of the more expensive options @ $995 for a paint color

since the next high cost options would have been 20" chrome clads - $1,390, sunroof $1,095 and automatics ~ $1K

#30 · (Edited)
Interestingly, at shows many people ask me if it is a custom color!

I actually was looking for a new or new-like used Plum Crazy, but nothing was available so I ended up buying one painted in Redline... The color red is about 4th down my list of colors after Plum Crazy, Top Banana, and Sublime green.

But, now I have something that is a little more unusual so I like it!

#32 ·
Probably my favorite color on a challenger. Normally don’t like red cars, this is only exception for me. Unfortunately not available for 2019 scat pack, so I ordered triple nickel. For whatever reason I can’t really explain Color was more important than usual when buying a car this time around. Looks much better in person. I put in an offer on a 2017 SRT in this color 5 months ago, but didn’t work out unfortunately. Financially getting a 2019 scat pack probably makes more sense, but I was willing to make exception for redline red.

#36 ·
my 2012 was redline red. im not a red guy but it was a very nice color. i do like octane red better though.

#41 ·
Which year?

A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.