Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 571 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Money aside, there is literally no reason anyone should choose an SE or SXT over the RT. Larger motor, better suspension, it's just an all around better car. So tell me guys, why did you buy the V6 version instead of the muscle car?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
If you get the SS/G the suspension and brakes are exactly the same. At that point you simply have to ask yourself if the 5.7 is worth 5 grand to you over the 3.6. A lot of people think it is and more power to them. Some just don't think the 5.7 is worth it. I'm one of those. I put 10K down on my car and actually test drove a 14 R/T as well as my 15 SXT and I bought the car I liked better. I think if the R/T could keep up with it's direct competition I would've leaned more towards it. Or if all R/T's had 392's for about the same cost. I really don't know why they still put 5.7's in Challengers. If they ramped up 6.4 production the difference in unit cost would be negligible.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I bought a 2015 challenger sxt plus. I love it. I wash it every weekend, weather be damned. I ordered it exactly the way I wanted.

Right before I pulled the trigger, I paused and said "for a little more than 100 bucks a month, I could get a scat pack, with these same options. Then I remembered I only ever really drive to work, in retarded stop an go traffic, and the worst kind of it. You know the kind where there is no reason for it, where everyone could do 40 but they don't. Would worse gas mileage, and the ability to hit 90 before I stopped again really be better?

I envy that rumble. Beyond that, the answer for me was no.

I love my car, and I love yours too.

Hope that helps, which it should if you were really asking.

@ val, I hope it doesn't; I quit reading posts when folks act like teenagers in here.

2015 SXT Plus, STP, SGII, Granite

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
There are many who like a car's looks and features and general function outside of its hp/torque numbers. As an extreme example, 15 years ago, my buddy's wife told him she wanted a Camry. He asked what was important to her about it, and she said it's gotta be green with gold badges. Nothing more; nothing less.

Then there comes the budget calculations. I remember buying my first car many years ago, and though I wanted a certain make/model, I just simply could not afford it. So I went with one with a few less features/power. It was still great.

And then there comes the individual pride-of-ownership factor for some of us. I don't judge anyone else for what they like or buy or drive---to each his own. But for myself, I just didn't like the idea of running a V6 Challenger. This is strictly my own head game for me and for no one else.

In the end, I cannot stress enough that each person must decide for himself what kind of car he wants and buys, and no one else can tell him he's right, wrong or indifferent. Life's too short to worry about someone else's car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Money aside, there is literally no reason anyone should choose a Scat Pack or SRT over the Hellcat. Larger motor, better suspension, it's just an all around better car. So tell me guys, why did you buy the Scat Pack version instead of the King of muscle cars?

But seriously, if money was no issue, we would all go get whatever car we want. I commute about 100 miles round trip a day. With the 3.6, I put one less tank a month in my car than an R/T. That is anywhere B/T $65-$85 a month more in expense, plus the R/T was about 4-6K more. I had no intention of getting an SXT, but then I totaled my truck and decided I would go rent a Challenger. Drove the thing for two weeks and thought, this thing is definitely not a "slow" car. went to the lot, got a smoking deal on a SXT Plus that looked beautiful. Car drives great, is comfortable and all in all I probably spend $200 a month less than if I had an R/T.

That being said, I am now looking to move up, and that is what I am doing. 2015 Scat pack hopefully soon.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
pietran30;4699202[B said:
] Money aside[/B], there is literally no reason anyone should choose an SE or SXT over the RT. Larger motor, better suspension, it's just an all around better car. So tell me guys, why did you buy the V6 version instead of the muscle car?
/QUOTE]

Why "Money aside"? That's going rule out 50% of the people that bought one. Are you a troll? Why would would ask such an idiotic question?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Money aside, there is literally no reason anyone should choose an SE or SXT over the RT. Larger motor, better suspension, it's just an all around better car. So tell me guys, why did you buy the V6 version instead of the muscle car?
With the Pentastar, the V6 has more power than you need in a daily driver. Over 300 hp and mid-14's bone stock does not set the world on fire in a relative sense in 2015, but it is more than respectable performance in an absolute sense. So less money up front and less money for gas going forward. For some, the difference in insurance can also be a significant factor. As others have already pointed out, you can get the upgraded suspension from the factory without the V8.

Another way of looking at this is why would anyone ever buy a Scat Pack instead of a Hellcat? "Money aside, there is literally no reason anyone should choose a RT or Scat Pack over the Hellcat. Much more powerful motor, better suspension, its just an all around better car. So tell me, why did you buy the Scat Pack instead of the Hellcat?"

Same answers as the V6 with new data points. 485 hp and 12's bone stock isn't the big dog these days but it is still tremendous performance. Once again, less money up front and less money for gas going forward. For some, insurance may be another significant factor.

The point is, how much performance is "enough" depends on the individual and their intended purposes for the car. It should be clear to everyone why the V6 is a great choice for many.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I could've purchased the Hemi.

But gas cost was a factor..

I have a redline with SS/G Package,have custom tune and a cai and ill eventually change my exhaust, followed by supercharging my redline when extra money is coming in..

AND..... My car looks wayyyyy nicer than half of those R/T's i see on the road, that are nothing appearance wise besides that R/T which I could put on my car haha

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow guys I just created this as a joke thread because of the ridiculous amounts of v6 vs v8 threads that have been in here lately. The amount of levelheadedness that has been received on this thread thus far has been totally astounding to me lmao. Kudos guys, congrats on all of your rides!

Reactions: Topshelf22

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Could just say why buy a slow challenger in general when Mustangs and Camaros are faster.

·
Administrator
3,752 Posts
Wow guys I just created this as a joke thread because of the ridiculous amounts of v6 vs v8 threads that have been in here lately. The amount of levelheadedness that has been received on this thread thus far has been totally astounding to me lmao. Kudos guys, congrats on all of your rides!

And I'm waiting for the downward spiral. Caution, 2 week suspension for anyone who's intent is to make that happen. Far too much of these trolling intent threads that result in them being reported to us.

Bernie

Sent from a phoney AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
A teenaged driver or a driver with a spotty driving record would be able to afford the insurance on a V6 better than a V8. Also, not everybody is interested in power and torque. Some like a good looking car that is reliable.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts

LMAO. Knowing you I knew it was a joke. :) well played
Oh R/T, did I just post in a V6 thread?

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
But Pietran does illustrate a fallacy that must plague every V6 owner. That of the almost universal belief that a bigger engine and a lower, firmer suspension is what EVERYONE MUST want. The first thought that came to my mind when I saw the thread title was "Oh no, not another one". The second thought was to answer the question of why with, because it's a damn nice car. Regarding the fallacy, I would love to get a Scat Pack or a Shaker R/T but I won't simply because I can't stand the suspension. It's too bad we can't piece together parts of all the trims we like into one car. I'd go with the handling and comfort of the SXT with either the 5.7 or 6.4 engine. I have absolutely no use for the HellCat, a pointless endeavor for street driving.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
But Pietran does illustrate a fallacy that must plague every V6 owner. That of the almost universal belief that a bigger engine and a lower, firmer suspension is what EVERYONE MUST want. The first thought that came to my mind when I saw the thread title was "Oh no, not another one". The second thought was to answer the question of why with, because it's a damn nice car. Regarding the fallacy, I would love to get a Scat Pack or a Shaker R/T but I won't simply because I can't stand the suspension. It's too bad we can't piece together parts of all the trims we like into one car. I'd go with the handling and comfort of the SXT with either the 5.7 or 6.4 engine. I have absolutely no use for the HellCat, a pointless endeavor for street driving.
My dream Challenger would be my base Billet SXT with a 6.4 and the black Nappa leather seats out of the SRT. That's it. I would love cars to go back to the days of individual options.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you get the SS/G the suspension and brakes are exactly the same. At that point you simply have to ask yourself if the 5.7 is worth 5 grand to you over the 3.6.
I got the sxt because I wanted a white Challenger at a good price with the 2011 and newer updates, and white rt's in the new York area were simply not to be had unless brand new. The v8 over the v6 wasn't a big issue for me after I drove the v6 and really liked how it drove.

I almost bought a v8 Camaro before the Challenger. The Camaro was black, I didn't really care what color Camaro I would own but a Challenger had to be white. That and the year were top priorities for me.

Tell you a funny thing: the price of a v8 was at least four or five grand higher than a v6. But the insurance was the same. I pay the same insurance for our v8 Cadillac deville, i4 Mazda and v6 Challenger. My wife and I, full coverage, same cost for each car.

1 - 20 of 571 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.