Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Experienced Drag Strip Drivers,

I know this is going to strike a lot of you as "newbie idiocy", but bear with me *grin*.

I have a new Red Eye wide body that I want to take to Edgewater Drag Strip in western Cincinnati, Ohio, in about a month for a "test and tune" night. I went a couple of weeks ago with a friend who has a 2017 Hellcat and watched him make six runs. His car is stock except for some 305 Mickey Thompson Street/Drag rear tires, which he reduced tire pressure down to 18 psi for his runs. He's flirting with breaking 11 seconds and is finishing his runs at 130 mph (!) and I think I've got the bug. At least a casual one where taking my car to the track for some legal 120-130 mph quarter mile runs would be legal fun.

So would you experience guys please give me some sage advice? To make safe, fun, getting the hang of it non-competitive runs I don't want to change the stock 305 all season Pirelli's (I regret not getting the summer tires as my car will be a three season good weather driver) at this point.

My starting understanding is to not heat up the tires - drive around the water. Also have the suspension in Street Mode, possibly Sport, but not Track. I don't want to lose it accidentally and hit a wall (or worse) so Street Mode will keep the traction control on that should keep me going straight and minimize wheel spin.

Is the best way to proceed just to go with moderate throttle until, say, third gear, and then floor it?

Any advice - protecting the car, prepping the car, driving the car - it's all welcome.

I once upon a time flew fighter/bomber planes off aircraft carriers regularly so know what high G acceleration and high speed looks like, but I'll admit I approach doing this with some healthy trepidation. My wife might also like to try this - she's a good driver.

Standing by for incoming!

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
324 Posts
Fin,
I have the Hellraisers from PKauto. 20x11 in the back and 20x9.5 in front.
I run Nitto Nto5r drag radials in the back and drive them 100 + miles to the track.
Most recently ran 7.7 1/8 mile with air pressure at 16psi.
If you leave traction control in street mode your car will not get out of line, sideways. or anything unpredictable.
So, put the tranny in track mode and have at it. It's addictive fun!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Decay,

Track mode for the tranny. Roger that. I think I read that results in quicker auto shifts.

Good reviews for those Nitto Nto5r's, but they don't make them in the stock "Devil's Rim" 20x11 305 size. I can see getting a second set of rear wheels/street/drag tires - or just replacing the all season Perelli's after they wear more on the stock wheels and then keeping them on. Has anyone bought new wheels with street/drag tires and then just rotated the four stock wheels with their stock tires between the front?

I'm also likely to sign up for a novice class on curvy track driving and they recommend stock tires for that for beginners. Good place to wear them down *grin*.

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
324 Posts
Decay,

Track mode for the tranny. Roger that. I think I read that results in quicker auto shifts.

Good reviews for those Nitto Nto5r's, but they don't make them in the stock "Devil's Rim" 20x11 305 size. I can see getting a second set of rear wheels/street/drag tires - or just replacing the all season Perelli's after they wear more on the stock wheels and then keeping them on. Has anyone bought new wheels with street/drag tires and then just rotated the four stock wheels with their stock tires between the front?

I'm also likely to sign up for a novice class on curvy track driving and they recommend stock tires for that for beginners. Good place to wear them down *grin*.

Best,

Finface
Fin, mine are 315/35r20 and when the car is up on the jack they rub the plastic inner wheel well just a bit but when down on the chassis they don't rub at all.
the only reason I bought these is they came up on craigslist for a good price.
Depending on your proximity to the track, say for instance only 6 or 8 miles away you could get 17x 11 for the rear and put bias-plys on and skinnies up front.
The gent that races the Demon at PIR(6.5 1/8 and 10.2 1/4 this car is a monster!!) has this set up and drives to the track.
I believe He runs Hoosiers. You will love it at the track though. Every one at PIR is chock full of advice and love to tinker and talk.
Everything from bone stock sedans to rail cars.
You will figure out fast that ET bracket racing is a lot more difficult than it looks! My wife had a fit because the car that finished first didn't win.
Lot's of good footage on you tube.
Also, I am far from experienced. My buddy told me that you need at least a 100 passes before you get any useful consistency and I believe him!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decay,

All that stuff is cool. For now I just want to run the stock all-season Pirelli's and manage wheel spin, but I can see the appeal of going faster!

I really enjoyed meeting the people at Edgewater the night I went. Very friendly crowd on test and tune night. Shared some advice and generally supportive. I saw a really great looking shaker Scat Pack - black with stock wheels and tires - and he ran consistently very well. Mid 12's.

A buddy of mine told me today that in the 1970's any car that could run mid 12's was considered a monster car. The Chevelle's with the 454's, the big block Corvette's - they all ran mid 13's at end speeds of 107-108 mph.

Finface

·
Registered
413 Posts
Decay,

All that stuff is cool. For now I just want to run the stock all-season Pirelli's and manage wheel spin, but I can see the appeal of going faster!

I really enjoyed meeting the people at Edgewater the night I went. Very friendly crowd on test and tune night. Shared some advice and generally supportive. I saw a really great looking shaker Scat Pack - black with stock wheels and tires - and he ran consistently very well. Mid 12's.

A buddy of mine told me today that in the 1970's any car that could run mid 12's was considered a monster car. The Chevelle's with the 454's, the big block Corvette's - they all ran mid 13's at end speeds of 107-108 mph.

Finface
Before I broke into the 11's with my Scat Pack I did the "peddle fest" with 3 different sets of tires. 2 of those sets were MT drag radials in different sizes. I had the launch down pat......1/3 throttle....then slowly feed it until finally obtaining full throttle. I experienced everything from wheel hop to blowing the tires off in every gear up to 3rd gear. I tried all the pressures in 2lb increments. I tried no burnouts vs light burnouts vs heavy burnouts. FINALLY I got sick of it......and purchased some Hoosier Dr 2's Drag Radials. Problems solved. Full hit from the start and straight as an arrow. Better on the car and far safer too. My PB so far is [email protected] in the Fl heat.

My advice....with your power level....go ahead and get some wheels and a set of Hoosier DR 2's. You can then easily perfect with your technique without worrying how to get the car to launch. As you get more comfortable.....give her more throttle. Street Tires with 800 hp is an accident waiting to happen IMHO. I have defeated 2 Hellcats with Drag Radials so far. Pretty bad when a much less powerful car smokes ur butt because "spinnin ain't winnin". Not to mention the embarrassment they have to endure for spending a ton more money and losing. Save ur time and gas and make her hook...and you will safely have a TON of fun!

Congrats on a SWEET ride......keep her that way and have FUN!! Gene:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solidman,

Thank you for your advice (Decay too). Sounds like excellent advice. The vision of the rear end stepping out on me, or my wife (former US Marine Corp corporal), and losing control looms large in my fevered imagination. Not only the concrete wall beckons, but so do the other cars next to RDEYE. Without getting drag rears it can only be a very careful launch - and low expectations for times and speeds in the quarter mile.

You're beating FCA specs in your times in your SP. Scat Packs are amazing cars.

I'll post some results for my car in this thread - looking at June 28th, weather permitting - complete with smoking wreckage *grin*.

Best - and thanks!

PS - got our custom KY tag yesterday! Ordered a slim line black MOPAR frame for it today.

Finface

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Solidman,

Thank you for your advice (Decay too). Sounds like excellent advice. The vision of the rear end stepping out on me, or my wife (former US Marine Corp corporal), and losing control looms large in my fevered imagination. Not only the concrete wall beckons, but so do the other cars next to RDEYE. Without getting drag rears it can only be a very careful launch - and low expectations for times and speeds in the quarter mile.

You're beating FCA specs in your times in your SP. Scat Packs are amazing cars.

I'll post some results for my car in this thread - looking at June 28th, weather permitting - complete with smoking wreckage *grin*.

Best - and thanks!

PS - got our custom KY tag yesterday! Ordered a slim line black MOPAR frame for it today.

Finface
Sweet looking ride! You will never regret some "track shoes" for that beast! They will save you O

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
A good friend of mine named Mike Alford lives in the northeast corner of Cincinnati, he has a red Hellcat(among other sweet rides) and is a really good drag racer. I know he's real active on the local car scene, ever met him? He is a good guy to get help from.

I ran my personal best in my old 300C SRT8 at Edgewater back in about 2008 or so, I remember they were open Thanksgiving weekend and we had really good conditions and the track was hooking, good times there!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,312 Posts
Before I broke into the 11's with my Scat Pack I did the "peddle fest" with 3 different sets of tires. 2 of those sets were MT drag radials in different sizes. I had the launch down pat......1/3 throttle....then slowly feed it until finally obtaining full throttle. I experienced everything from wheel hop to blowing the tires off in every gear up to 3rd gear. I tried all the pressures in 2lb increments. I tried no burnouts vs light burnouts vs heavy burnouts. FINALLY I got sick of it......and purchased some Hoosier Dr 2's Drag Radials. Problems solved. Full hit from the start and straight as an arrow. Better on the car and far safer too. My PB so far is [email protected] in the Fl heat.

My advice....with your power level....go ahead and get some wheels and a set of Hoosier DR 2's. You can then easily perfect with your technique without worrying how to get the car to launch. As you get more comfortable.....give her more throttle. Street Tires with 800 hp is an accident waiting to happen IMHO. I have defeated 2 Hellcats with Drag Radials so far. Pretty bad when a much less powerful car smokes ur butt because "spinnin ain't winnin". Not to mention the embarrassment they have to endure for spending a ton more money and losing. Save ur time and gas and make her hook...and you will safely have a TON of fun!

THIS ^^^ You're most likely going to get wheel hop using all season street tires, especially with the power a Redeye puts down. You'd be best served learning the intricacies of drag racing (as will your wife) if you buy an inexpensive set of wheels for the rear. I bought Bravada Tributes, 18x10 and put M&H RaceMaster drag radials on them. Never once in the 150+ runs since I bought those tires did I have ANY wheel hop. (in case you didn't know, "wheel hop" is just that; your tires aren't gripping and thus they start bouncing...this quickly leads to broken axels and differentials.)

It's an addictive blast, and there's quite a close-knit "community" amongst the remaining drag racers....dive in and ENJOY!

Reactions: Finface

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All,

I've meant to add to this thread for a couple of months, but wanted to get two evenings in at Edgewater Motorsports (drag strip). I went at the end of June, and also a couple of weeks ago on September 6 - first times ever at a drag strip - and I've now got about 15 runs under my belt. I ran with my wide body's stock 305 size Pirelli all-season radials. It was great fun, but just as you all predicted these tires simply cannot handle the power of the Challenger Hellcat Red Eye. My best runs on the Friday "test and tune" nights was a 12.58, next best a 12.78 (or thereabouts, I don't have the slips in front of me) and I did get the car up to 122 mph. But no matter what I tried (however, I did not try the Launch Mode) with my right foot - and always in Street Mode for full traction control - if I was in 797 HP mode the tires spun badly off the line - and kept breaking loose as the automatic shifted gears - and I think must've hopped a lot - and I know I posted very poor 60' times. I ran the car once in 500 HP mode and clocked a mid-14 second quarter mile - and that also spun the tires in first and maybe second gear too - and that run finished with a lower top speed. Still a blast!

The high HP mode really pulled great from about 80 mph to the end of the run. I bet I'm not the first person to think the run outs at drag strips should be about twice as long - would save on the brakes and be safer!

I won't go again without getting the right tires - I could tell I was flirting with breaking something despite the Demon's engine and beefed up drive train.

With the understanding that I won't drive my car over the winter or in cold temperatures, I could use some more advice about wheels and tires for the 2019 wide body car. The first priority is good overall traction and handling driving on Kentucky's winding country roads - the car really is my Sunday driver (usually with my wife) and we likely won't put more than 4,000 miles on RDEYE per year. I've only put 1,200 miles on the car since April. Second would be comfortable highway performance - low noise hopefully - and I'm not worried about getting decent tread life like with a daily driver. Lastly, IF there are 305 size rear tires that can hook up at the drag strip AND be left on the car at all times to meet the first two priorities safely, that would be ideal. I could buy a set of 305's for the stock wheels and call it good - even rotate them.

But could I use the stock Devil's Rim wheels and buy new 305's for the front and maybe new 315's in the same summer tire brand/model for the rear wheels to improve both handling and drag strip performance? If people have different widths front and rear - and therefore won't be rotating tires front to rear - does tire brand/model matching even matter? I've read 315's are not that much wider and can fit on an 11 inch rim - wouldn't every little bit help for the drag strip nights? Decoy said his 315's rub inside the rear wheel well when he jacks up his car but are fine when driving. So, I guess I'm asking what would be a smartest combination/compromise? And what is the meaning of "offset", which is mentioned a lot in forum posts when it comes to changing stock wheels out for wider wheels? Does that change if you use the stock wheels, but put acceptably wider tires on stock rims?

Thanks in advance!

Finface

·
Registered
413 Posts
Told ya you need to change the tires FIRST!!! lol A lot of us get a second set of rears for the strip. I run 315/35/17 on 17" Drag Stars. Cant go wrong with that combo! MUCH cheaper than a 20" set up and gives you a 40 lb weight savings. Bolt em on before a Track session. I saved 88 lbs on all 4 corners.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Solidman (and All),

You did me a solid (and others!) and you did tell me! Had to have my reference point for failure grin and see if I even liked the experience first (heck yeah I did!). I understand, and I've seen other comments, about weight savings with smaller diameter rear wheels. But doesn't that look odd? Or do the drag/street radial tires have higher sidewalls to compensate and keep the car's stance looking the same?

Since I'm not going to drag race, or even go to the drag strip very often for the test and tune fun run events (expect to do it 3-4 times a year), and don't really care about every hundredth, or tenth, of a second times, shouldn't I stick with 20" wheels? The stock Devil's Rims, if possible, and just find the right rubber to mount for my more general multi-purpose needs? I'm open to the idea of having a dedicated set of rear wheels and tires to swap out for drag strip nights - 12" wide wheels and associated wider street/drag tires? Maybe that is the only way to harness RDEYE's 797 ponies in straight line acceleration?

I didn't mention it last night but I'm taking the car for a Novice Class curvy track high performance driving experience in early October at the Corvette Museum and expect to be buying new tires fairly soon after that two day event.

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A good friend of mine named Mike Alford lives in the northeast corner of Cincinnati, he has a red Hellcat(among other sweet rides) and is a really good drag racer. I know he's real active on the local car scene, ever met him? He is a good guy to get help from.

I ran my personal best in my old 300C SRT8 at Edgewater back in about 2008 or so, I remember they were open Thanksgiving weekend and we had really good conditions and the track was hooking, good times there!
Hi Eric,

I didn't see your good friend Mike either night, but I'll keep an eye out for his red Hellcat. There is a guy named Tony with an orange Hellcat who was very welcoming and had a few tips for me and my friend who has a 2017 Hellcat.

Finface

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT
109 Posts
Hi,

I'm going to try putting in my .02 here as I was in kind of a similar situation as you (just without nearly as much horsepower, lol).

I have an RT which I've modified a little bit. Headers and a tune, basically. Like you I don't go to the track too often, but when I went for the first time I was deeply hooked and I really enjoy going every time I do.

With street tires, even the aftermarket 315 Nitto Invo's I put on the car, my "measly" ~400hp would spin the tires at launch when I revved the car over about 3,000 rpm. I lurk on these forums a lot and saw the same thing these folks have been saying to you. "Get drag radials!" So, I did. The difference is pretty amazing and it is so much more fun. The tires hook really well and I can launch at 4,000 rpm+. It's great!

If I can offer another set of perspectives for you sir:

1) Yes, having 17" wheels on the back and my 20" rims on the front looks goofy and weird. But, this is specifically for the track. You see it a lot on others cars and frankly, the fun factor greatly outweighs the looks. Turns out, nobody really cares and people tend to comment on the performance over the looks.

2) I'm not wearing out my fairly expensive street tires as fast. This is not toooo big of a deal, but I'm putting it out there as a factor.

3) The hassle of swapping the rears back and forth is not insignificant. For us though, with as infrequently as we actually drag race? It has been well worth it.

A note on storage. My wife and I both park our cars in our 2 car garage. So, storing these tires was a concern. I went to Home Depot and got some large hooks and concrete anchors and I just hang the DR's up when not in use. Looks kinda cool!

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Race888,

Your .02 most welcome! My neighbor (707 HP), who has run an 11.1 quarter in his 2017 Hellcat with Nitto 555R's on 11 inch rear rims, still breaks loose. He's not happy with his traction. I think you're on the right track suggesting I get dedicated rear wheels and swap them out. They've got to be street legal and able to drive 50 miles each way - the return leg probably with reduced air pressure.

Is the only reason to get smaller wheels - 17" as you have done - saving weight? The bigger the diameter, the more tire contact patch at any given moment, right?

Swapping them for drag strip night - yep - I might have to get an impact wrench to get the lug nuts on and off as I age (gracefully, I hope) into my mid-60's! I've got a Titan four post ramp lift and plan on getting the SJ-35 jack that fits inside the ramps which lifts the entire front, or rear, of any vehicle. My neighbor and I will both use it - and keep an eye out on the forum for us asking for Brembo brake pad changing expertise (I've already seen some great posts here about it). Good idea about hanging up the wheels.

Thank you for chiming in. I welcome any all "small change"!

Finface

·
Registered
413 Posts
Race888 is right on the money with his comments. Not only are my tires low sidewalls....but I run 26" tall tires in the rear. Yes...there is space in the wheel well......but when all they see is your tail lights......who cares!

I tried some Nitto 555 G2's on my Scat for the street......no kidding I took them off in less than a 100 miles and SOLD them! I had ZERO traction with them and knew I was gonna drift into a ditch with them. They SUCK. PERIOD. They would spin past 70 mph on my Scat!

I purchased some Mickey Thompson Street Comps and they hook amazingly well for street tires and feel great.

My Hoosier Dr 2's Drag Radials are UNREAL in traction and I highly recommend them. They have no tread....but I drive them 25 miles to the Track and they feel just like any street tire. Of course....they are not for rainy days...no brainer. Buy some DR's and your fun factor will go through the roof and you might actually look forward to posting some amazing numbers.............Gene :)

·
Registered
62 Posts

Hooking is where its at........end of story.

Reactions: kstay203
1 - 19 of 19 Posts