Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 5.7 RT. Stock 20x8 wheels. I am looking at wider wheels, but have a series of questions, and I have been researching old posts, but I’m not a wheel guy so some of the answers confuse me, or I can’t find the answers. I am looking at several setups and would like any suggestions, advice, any wheel help to get more stick?
Possible setups:
  • Front: 9.5 Rear: 10.5
  • Front: 10.5 Rear: 10.5
  • Front: 9.5 Rear: 11
  • Front: 11 Rear: 11
-Will 10.5s or 11s poke out on the side?
-What is the advantage of having narrower wheels in the front vs. the wider ones all around?
-Are spacers needed for the wider wheels?
-What should I do?
Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
16,764 Posts
What size tires do you want to use?

My 2009 SRT came with 9-inch wide forged wheels. This limited me to a 275/40-20 tire. I chose to mount this size tire on the rear (see photo) and a narrower 245/45-20 tire on the front for an "old school" look. The downside of staggered tires is that you cannot rotate them for longer wear.

A super-wide 11-inch wheel, would only work on a Challenger Widebody with fender flares.

Also, spacers are only used to move the wheel to the outside. If additional fender clearance is needed a positive offset wheel is needed to move it further inside. Read the information in the following link.

Offset | Tire Rack

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

My 2009 SRT came with 9-inch wide forged wheels. This limited me to a 275/40-20 tire. I chose to mount this size tire on the rear (see photo) and a narrower 245/45-20 tire on the front for an "old school" look. The downside of staggered tires is that you cannot rotate them for longer wear.

A super-wide 11-inch wheel, would only work on a Challenger Widebody with fender flares.

Also, spacers are only used to move the wheel to the outside. If additional fender clearance is needed a positive offset wheel is needed to move it further inside. Read the information in the following link.

Offset | Tire Rack

View attachment 1038620

View attachment 1038621
You can run a 11" wide rim on the rear of a standard body, just need to have the correct offset.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I have a 2021 5.7 RT. Stock 20x8 wheels. I am looking at wider wheels, but have a series of questions, and I have been researching old posts, but I’m not a wheel guy so some of the answers confuse me, or I can’t find the answers. I am looking at several setups and would like any suggestions, advice, any wheel help to get more stick?
Possible setups:
  • Front: 9.5 Rear: 10.5
  • Front: 10.5 Rear: 10.5
  • Front: 9.5 Rear: 11
  • Front: 11 Rear: 11
-Will 10.5s or 11s poke out on the side?
-What is the advantage of having narrower wheels in the front vs. the wider ones all around?
-Are spacers needed for the wider wheels?
-What should I do?
Thanks for any help!
Your best bet is to go with a 9.5 front and 10.5 rear. Are you looking at Factory Reproductions, Voxx, or other brands?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Offset | Tire Rack

View attachment 1038620

View attachment 1038621
Thanks, that’s a hot car!

Your best bet is to go with a 9.5 front and 10.5 rear. Are you looking at Factory Reproductions, Voxx, or other brands?

I was looking at Replicas just because of price. Thank you on the recommendation!

You can run a 11" wide rim on the rear of a standard body, just need to have the correct offset.

This is a dumb question, but what does the correct offset mean?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
11,818 Posts
Here is what I am running and no issues with rubbing or sticking out. Nice and fat 315s on the back...how the narrow body should have come from the factory.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got Devil Rim replicas, 9.5 x 20 +15 offset with Nitto 275/40/20 NT 555 G2 front and 10.5 x 20 +22 offset with Nitto 315/35/20 NT 555 G2 in the rear. With some light rubbing on the rear, no spacers. I dont think you could go much more than a 275 in the front unless you had a wide body. This is on a 2020 Scat Pack.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
11,818 Posts
I got Devil Rim replicas, 9.5 x 20 +15 offset with Nitto 275/40/20 NT 555 G2 front and 10.5 x 20 +22 offset with Nitto 315/35/20 NT 555 G2 in the rear. With some light rubbing on the rear, no spacers. I dont think you could go much more than a 275 in the front unless you had a wide body. This is on a 2020 Scat Pack.
View attachment 1038625
This guy runs 285 on 10" wide wheels on all 4 corners.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 1038625
You’re running 315s on 10.5s? I read the recommended is 265 to 295. Since I don’t know anything about tires other than what the sizes mean, are there any issues with 315s on 10.5s?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
11,818 Posts
More + offset moves the wheel further into the wheel well so you would want less offset. 10.5" wide with +22mm offset fits without wheel spacers and modifying the inner liner of the wheel well. With 11" the offset would probably need to decrease (or adding spacers would accomplish the same thing) otherwise it would rub the inner liner....something like +16mm (or add a 6mm spacer if offset is +22mm which will give an effective +16mm) to account for the extra 0.5" wheel width increase.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You’re running 315s on 10.5s? I read the recommended is 265 to 295. Since I don’t know anything about tires other than what the sizes mean, are there any issues with 315s on 10.5s?
The tire manufacturer states the minimum wheel width for their tires. Nitto stated that their 315/30/20 will fit a 10.5" wheel.

This guy runs 285 on 10" wide wheels on all 4 corners.
Ok, that only one centimeter wider than a 275. I was meaning like a 305 or 315 on the fronts. It mostly boils down to the offset of the wheel.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
11,818 Posts
Ok, that only one centimeter wider than a 275. I was meaning like a 305 or 315 on the fronts. It mostly boils down to the offset of the wheel.
For the fronts wheel spacers are typically needed as wheel offset can only do so much. I thought someone on the forum managed to run 11s up front but don't remember tire width? I also thought there was a guy running 295s on all 4 corners? Too lazy to search over the phone ar the moment.

295s on all for corners.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No issues and 10.5 is minimum approved wheel width with 11 be
For the fronts wheel spacers are typically needed as wheel offset can only do so much. I thought someone on the forum managed to run 11s up front but don't remember tire width? I also thought there was a guy running 295s on all 4 corners? Too lazy to search over the phone ar the moment.

295s on all for corners.
The concern for me, would be the added stress of the much wider wheel and tire combo would put on the front suspension. An 11" wheel in the front seems crazy to me on a narrow body. To each their own.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The concern for me, would be the added stress of the much wider wheel and tire combo would put on the front suspension. An 11" wheel in the front seems crazy to me on a narrow body. To each their own.
That’s a good point. It looks like the widest wheel options on the narrow bodies on the Dodge site is 9.5, whereas the Widebodies go up to 11. I wonder if the widebodies have a diff front suspension..

·
Super Moderator
16,764 Posts

295s on all for corners.
Don't wheel spacers essentially reduce the distance from the center of the wheel to the hub, reducing positive offset? The lower number positive offset, the more the wheels are spaced out towards the fender. With wide tires, don't you want to move the wheel towards the inner part of the wheel well?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
11,818 Posts
Don't wheel spacers essentially reduce the distance from the center of the wheel to the hub, reducing positive offset?The lower number positive offset, the more the wheels are spaced out towards the fender. With wide tires, don't you want to move the wheel towards the inner part of the wheel well?
Yup, as I mentioned in my previous post they effectively reduce positive offset. As for wanting to move the wheel toward the inner part of the wheel well, yes you want to move it in but on the rears at 10.5 in width and offset of 22mm you pretty much are up against the wheel well...any further and the tire will rub which will require modifications. As for the front, the spindle is what prevents any further movement to the wheel well liner. At 9.5 in width and an offset of 12mm you are pretty darn close already so with a wider tire you either need less offset or some thick spacers...which will push the tire out towards the fender lip. Then you run into the problem of the tire sticking out past the fender.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup, as I mentioned in my previous post they effectively reduce positive offset. As for wanting to move the wheel toward the inner part of the wheel well, yes you want to move it in but on the rears at 10.5 in width and offset of 22mm you pretty much are up against the wheel well...any further and the tire will rub which will require modifications. As for the front, the spindle is what prevents any further movement to the wheel well liner. At 9.5 in width and an offset of 12mm you are pretty darn close already so with a wider tire you either need less offset or some thick spacers...which will push the tire out towards the fender lip. Then you run into the problem of the tire sticking out past the fender.
This was really helpful, thanks!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts