Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to put a wideband in my 5.7. What side did you install it on and why?
I thought about doing dual widebands instead of just one bank reading. I know some engines run leaner on one bank then the other. Just trying to figure out whats best route to go

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
No experience in adding wide band O2 sensors to a car equipped with narrow band sensors. But wide band sensors are used to more precisely fuel the engine.

Can't understand the logic that leads you to believe only one half the engine needs to be precisely fueled.

My recommendation is install wide band sensors on both banks or no banks. Go both or go home.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The wide band is for the a/f meter.
Yes. Just like the narrow band sensors are used to meter the correct fuel to ensure the right a/f mixture is delivered to the engine.

In all my cars with 6 or more cylinders each bank had its own pair of O2 sensors. The first was in some cases a narrow band sensor but with my Porsche Turbo and my Hellcat the #1 sensor is a wide band sensor. The #2 sensor is a narrow band sensor.

There are two short term and two long term fuel trims. Each bank is thus independently fueled based on how the cylinders of each bank are operating and how they are operating is determined primarily by the #1 sensor reading.

There will be differences otherwise the auto maker would have opted to just one set of sensors to save money.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you dont run an a/f meter please excuse yourself from this thread. I understand the function of 02 sensors more then most people. Im an auto tech and have been for over 20 years. I just want to know if one is fine or if i need to monitor both banks for the bottle

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
495 Posts
What's your setup? That will help determine if you need one or both banks. I'm running just driver's side myself with cam,fbo.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive got 5.7 with long tubes, no cats, borla s-type. One step colder plugs, cai, 125 shot but want to spray 200 at times. Ive got stand alone fuel system for the nitrous also. Going to put 274 cam in soon

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Ive got 5.7 with long tubes, no cats, borla s-type. One step colder plugs, cai, 125 shot but want to spray 200 at times. Ive got stand alone fuel system for the nitrous also. Going to put 274 cam in soon
I'm running only the driver side, when I hit the dyno we put the Dyno wideband on passengers side. The was no variance in the reading between the driver and passenger side... IMO if you aren't going to go as far as setting one up for each cylinder and really dial in the afr for each cylinder, one side is fine.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
495 Posts
The important part is the nitrous/fueling system. It's possible for one side to go lean/rich. But it sounds like you have a pretty good setup for the nitrous, at a 125 shot I wouldn't even worry about it and stick with one wideband.
For 200 shot, is the motor forged? A stock 5.7 could handle it but it's the very top end limit, and with your other mods that means even more power=more stress on internals. I'd be very careful on a 200, and that's where things can get a little sketchy with one bank getting a little leaner or richer from more/less nitrous or fuel. That's why they sell those port injection kits so each cylinder gets equal amounts of spray. Also you may wanna go 1 step colder on the plug for 200. I'd run 2 widebands for 200+.

My knowledge is a mix of experience, research, and just things I've heard from other people, so I'm definitely no expert.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya i thought about running egt in the headers, but didnt think it was going to be necessary. Ive had a feeling one wideband setup was fine. Just double checking. Better to be safe than sorry
Engine is not forged and should be able to handle the 200. Ls guys do it with same style stock pistons, just pull the timing out. Thats why ive got a stand alone fuel system for it. Colder plugs are already in it. I really dont care if it comes apart or not. If it does that just makes the 440 go into the car sooner.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If you dont run an a/f meter please excuse yourself from this thread. I understand the function of 02 sensors more then most people. Im an auto tech and have been for over 20 years. I just want to know if one is fine or if i need to monitor both banks for the bottle
You have been an auto tech for 20 years yet are apparently unaware that no auto maker at least any I know about and I know a few: Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Porsche, BMW, M-B; all run two sensors per bank.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
495 Posts
You have been an auto tech for 20 years yet are apparently unaware that no auto maker at least any I know about and I know a few: Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Porsche, BMW, M-B; all run two sensors per bank.
Having that narrowband on both sides can save an engine from failing by adjusting fuel trims. The wideband he's looking to use is for tuning purposes. As long as the engine is running correctly while tuning I don't see why he would need one on both banks with his setup. And if it wasn't running correctly the fuel trims would be a dead giveaway thanks to the narrowband o2s.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The secondary o2's are to check cat efficiency. They have nothing to do with fuel metering for the engine. They are basically useless but to check the cat. Thats why they can be eliminated in a tune.
All the manufacturers run 2 o2's per bank nowadays. Not just the ones you listed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts