Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After admiring my car once I got it back from the detailer, I noticed an issue with the passenger front fender. When looking at the right angle, you can see 2 blue nylon fasteners in the gap where it appears that the fender flare is not fully seated. See the attached pic. One of the fasteners is easy to see, but the other one was hard to focus on with my phone. It is located between the reflection of the bottom and middle yellow parking space lines. I don't know about you guys, but this is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. I brought it to my local dealership (not where I purchased the car) and they indicated that they would submit the request and I'd have to wait to hear if I got the green light to have this covered under warranty. LOL. Well, it ended up being covered and it is scheduled for repair in a couple of weeks, but I'd hate to have to deal with me if I heard that it wasn't covered!!

Has anyone else noticed an issue like this with their WBs? Of course, I contacted the detail shop as well and he stated that they noticed it and he took pics of it prior to installing my ppf. He said they gently tried to push it into place, but didn't want to push too hard and make a small problem worse. To my surprise, he told me that this is not uncommon with Dodge/Jeep. He said that he recalls a few WB Hellcats and at least a couple Jeeps where the flares were not completely seated against the fender.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
That is unacceptable.
Glad they are going to cover it. Will keep an eye on mine.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I would look under the car in that area of the flair to see if anyone put a jack in the wrong spot. If everything looks good, just slap it with your hand to seat the clips. Those flairs are simply cheesed on with plastic clips that mount to the flairs. The other end of the clip snaps into the fender.

You won't hurt anything by hitting it with your hand to seat the clip.

·
Registered
2021 F8 Green Scat Pack Shaker
276 Posts
I would look under the car in that area of the flair to see if anyone put a jack in the wrong spot. If everything looks good, just slap it with your hand to seat the clips. Those flairs are simply cheesed on with plastic clips that mount to the flairs. The other end of the clip snaps into the fender.

Brand new car, no thanks. Let the dealer slap it with their hands

·
Super Moderator
17,094 Posts
sometimes the flares can have flaws in manufacturing - a friend had a rear flare replaced under warranty on his '21 WB because it was warped and didn't fit to the body correctly

Reactions: ApolloCreed

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I didn't think of that. Maybe it was a caused by a jack. The detail shop said that they noticed it right away and took pics to document it.....however, they did have to jack the car up to remove the wheels to ceramic coat my wheels/calipers. Hmmmm 🤔
But yeah, I agree. Since I already have my local dealer on it, I'll leave it to them and stay hands off.

·
Registered
653 Posts

I completely agree with 'OregonScat'. There could be a small reason they are not seated properly, its just no one has taken the time to look at it.
I'd be under there looking around trying to figure it out, making sure no one bumped the fender and misaligned something, especially if it was 'perfect' in a before time ?

I really don't like dropping off the car into the 'BlackBox' and it 'magically' re-appears supposedly fixed. Unless they will let me walk around and talk with the tech. Some are super nice and will show you how 'its' supposed to be. some may not be so chatty but may speak to you. I like keeping an eyeball on the Challenger , the Lexus the Mini.

I have to get my 'Scat' bureaucratically inspected here in the 'Commonwealth'. Annoying. 1900 miles and they want to take a wheel off, uh no.
So I have been 'Self-inspecting' since the 'covidia' showed up. Yes, I look at it myself and actually look at the ball joint, tie rod ends and brake pads. I actually have been thinking about making my own 'stickers'.

The garages don't want to mess with piddly $20 inspection, It doesn't cover their cost for time all the items they are suppose to inspect. The goofy state mandates you must spend 'X' time on each car and can only inspect like 10 cars a day. They can't make no money unless they fail it. waste

Moral of the story, make sure you watch that 'BlackBox' where you place your Challenger. I have another true story for another day.

best regards
parrott

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I completely agree with 'OregonScat'. There could be a small reason they are not seated properly, its just no one has taken the time to look at it.
I'd be under there looking around trying to figure it out, making sure no one bumped the fender and misaligned something, especially if it was 'perfect' in a before time ?
The car had 6 miles on it upon delivery. Of course, I did a few walk-arounds when I picked it up but didn't even think to "inspect" it making sure everything was perfect. I just wanted to get in and drive the damn thing. So, I can't confirm that it was ever "perfect" and I suppose that's my bad.....but IMO, I really shouldn't have to do that given the amount of money that's involved.

Although it's entirely possible that the detail shop jacked it up improperly and it caused the flare to pop out of the clips....but at this point, I'm operating on the assumption that it was never perfect to begin with and the shop stated that they documented the flare issue upon arrival. The car basically went from taking delivery directly to the detail shop. So I honestly didn't have more than a couple hours with it before I dropped it off to get ceramic coating and ppf applied.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The car had 6 miles on it upon delivery. Of course, I did a few walk-arounds when I picked it up but didn't even think to "inspect" it making sure everything was perfect. I just wanted to get in and drive the damn thing. So, I can't confirm that it was ever "perfect" and I suppose that's my bad.....but IMO, I really shouldn't have to do that given the amount of money that's involved.

Although it's entirely possible that the detail shop jacked it up improperly and it caused the flare to pop out of the clips....but at this point, I'm operating on the assumption that it was never perfect to begin with and the shop stated that they documented the flare issue upon arrival. The car basically went from taking delivery directly to the detail shop. So I honestly didn't have more than a couple hours with it before I dropped it off to get ceramic coating and ppf applied.
Completely understand. :) Yeah, I have kicked myself in the past, for not paying close attention to details. Its probably not anything big, minor adjustment. The guy putting fenders and flares on that day probably broke up with his girl friend and was not paying close attention to detail.

Ceramic coating is super nice also .
You watch them at the dealer, ( best you can). ,

Best regards
parrott

Reactions: ApolloCreed

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,678 Posts
Most detailers have a lift like this

Did you see yours jacked up?

A Guy

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,020 Posts
Many newer cars seem to have more noticeable body gaps and QC is not checking they are just trying to pump production when they can with less and less checking things.
I have seen Fender , Fascia and Hood Gaps inconsistent, Rear Bumper Covers with the Side Markers not evenly installed meaning one side doesn't sit in as well,
Deck Lids and Tail Lights with Bad Alignment etc., A WB at the Store the other day I walked by looked like the Flares were not seated flush.

When your pay that much for a Brand New Ride go over it with a tape measure, and slowly check fit and alignment of panels.

Also GM and Ford are doing same thing on their Vehicles they must have a looser tolerance since Covid affected production quality checks.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts

I really don't like dropping off the car into the 'BlackBox' and it 'magically' re-appears supposedly fixed. Unless they will let me walk around and talk with the tech. Some are super nice and will show you how 'its' supposed to be. some may not be so chatty but may speak to you. I like keeping an eyeball on the Challenger , the Lexus the Mini.

I have to get my 'Scat' bureaucratically inspected here in the 'Commonwealth'. Annoying. 1900 miles and they want to take a wheel off, uh no.
So I have been 'Self-inspecting' since the 'covidia' showed up. Yes, I look at it myself and actually look at the ball joint, tie rod ends and brake pads. I actually have been thinking about making my own 'stickers'.

The garages don't want to mess with piddly $20 inspection, It doesn't cover their cost for time all the items they are suppose to inspect. The goofy state mandates you must spend 'X' time on each car and can only inspect like 10 cars a day. They can't make no money unless they fail it. waste

Moral of the story, make sure you watch that 'BlackBox' where you place your Challenger. I have another true story for another day.

best regards
parrott
Yep, that infamous "black box."

"Manual manipulation" for body fit starts at the factory.

Sometimes the tugging, pulling, knee bumps and elbowing parts, misses an item.

The "black box" is then the small one at the body shop/dealership.

If folks really saw how vehicles were made, they would probably faint. Especially around here! Lol

·
Registered
On order 2021 Scat Pack Widebody Shaker, Frostbite, A8, Plus, Tech, HK Audio, Sunroof, Red Brakes
65 Posts
Totally agree with that. You slap it and it gets worse they will say you damaged it.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
After admiring my car once I got it back from the detailer, I noticed an issue with the passenger front fender. When looking at the right angle, you can see 2 blue nylon fasteners in the gap where it appears that the fender flare is not fully seated. See the attached pic. One of the fasteners is easy to see, but the other one was hard to focus on with my phone. It is located between the reflection of the bottom and middle yellow parking space lines. I don't know about you guys, but this is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. I brought it to my local dealership (not where I purchased the car) and they indicated that they would submit the request and I'd have to wait to hear if I got the green light to have this covered under warranty. LOL. Well, it ended up being covered and it is scheduled for repair in a couple of weeks, but I'd hate to have to deal with me if I heard that it wasn't covered!!

Has anyone else noticed an issue like this with their WBs? Of course, I contacted the detail shop as well and he stated that they noticed it and he took pics of it prior to installing my ppf. He said they gently tried to push it into place, but didn't want to push too hard and make a small problem worse. To my surprise, he told me that this is not uncommon with Dodge/Jeep. He said that he recalls a few WB Hellcats and at least a couple Jeeps where the flares were not completely seated against the fender.
Hi ApolloCreed,
We completely understand your concerns. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're just a PM away.

Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 18 of 18 Posts