Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2015 SRT 392, and my plan is to get widebody fenders from Vicrez as soon as possible.
I asked their customer support about wheel size to fill out the fender width, but I want to know from any of you who had this done already..
As I've learned, R20 11" with -2.5 offset will do the trick.
BUT.
How is the driveability affected by wider wheels?
Do they rub against the fenders?
Any recommended wheels, not too expensive?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
So, on an actual widebody, the fender openings are bigger, along with the flares, so there is more clearance for wider wheels. If you still have stock fender opening and the Vicrez flares, you still run the risk of the fender lip rubbing. Just imagine adding the wider wheels without the flares. The only difference with the Vicrez is the flares will stick out farther

The actual widebody fenders without the flares

A Guy

Reactions: Rattfylleristen

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, on an actual widebody, the fender openings are bigger, along with the flares, so there is more clearance for wider wheels. If you still have stock fender opening and the Vicrez flares, you still run the risk of the fender lip rubbing. Just imagine adding the wider wheels without the flares. The only difference with the Vicrez is the flares will stick out farther

The actual widebody fenders without the flares

A Guy
What about bump stops? Heightening kits by 24mm?
Trying to find any other alternative to avoid cutting

·
Registered
16,215 Posts
What about bump stops? Heightening kits by 24mm?
Trying to find any other alternative to avoid cutting
Considering how far the WB wheels stick out past the stock fender line I don't see how that is possible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Considering how far the WB wheels stick out past the stock fender line I don't see how that is possible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Me neither. The car is on stock suspension and mesures about 3.5 cm from the tire to the fender line.
My knowledge about suspension travel and how it is possible to reduce is none..

·
Registered
166 Posts
if you don't plan on cutting your car don't bother.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
182 Posts
you need to do this. cut, stitch weld, then arch a 1 1/4 flat metal to serve as tire guard in case the tire will swing so high and the edges will eat those rubbers and seam sealer but not needed but i did it anyway even my welds sealed the panels.

im not done yet and running square 20x10 -2 offset (315x35x20) no rubbing so far.

I got a 2015 SRT 392, and my plan is to get widebody fenders from Vicrez as soon as possible.
I asked their customer support about wheel size to fill out the fender width, but I want to know from any of you who had this done already..
As I've learned, R20 11" with -2.5 offset will do the trick.
BUT.
How is the driveability affected by wider wheels?
Do they rub against the fenders?
Any recommended wheels, not too expensive?

·
Registered
166 Posts
well the shop is owned by a buddy but he did figure it would be about 40 hours of total work including prep and paint. so depending on rates probably ~$4k.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the shop is owned by a buddy but he did figure it would be about 40 hours of total work including prep and paint. so depending on rates probably ~$4k.
Guess I'm on my own then. Any advice?

you need to do this. cut, stitch weld, then arch a 1 1/4 flat metal to serve as tire guard in case the tire will swing so high and the edges will eat those rubbers and seam sealer but not needed but i did it anyway even my welds sealed the panels.

im not done yet and running square 20x10 -2 offset (315x35x20) no rubbing so far.

View attachment 1012143 View attachment 1012144 View attachment 1012145
Awsome work! How many hours of work?

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Why not just BUY a Widebody, it's more than just a set of flares slapped on, you get the better suspension, too, it's a $6000 package:

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
221 Posts
I have not cut my 09 SRT, and I will be running OEM Demon wheels. For the past year I've been using wheel spacers, with some rubbing on harder bumps, so I may put bumpstops in if I need to. However the with the stock ride height and slightly shorter Demon tire, I'm hoping I'll have no issues, but will keep everyone updated

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
182 Posts
I told my wife we are going to starve if i have to do this for living. I spent way too much time on body work on the front fender alone and decided going to paint it myself. Good thing its just a hobby.

For folks saying just buy a widebody, sure i can buy one and more cost effective but some of us just can't leave stuff alone. However, if im in the market for a new challenger, it's definately going to be the one with flares, i meant widebody:). I remember installing flares on my 6.7 cummins to accomodate the 37" tires. Yeah, it used to be called flares:).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
First of all, the currently cheapest widebody in Sweden is being auctioned for $70k+.
I bought my used srt 392 for about $45k. Kind of speaks for itself, right?
Second, I bought this car to actually learn how to do mods.
So the $400 flares, $1000 wheels + $500 for 2 new tires plus the experience gained makes alot of sence to me :)

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
182 Posts
Exactly and not a lot of people understand that! I'm doing it to learn and i think i spent over $6k already, that includes the 230v 60 gal compressor, 3 paint guns, paint, and bunch of painting misc. Oh yeah, i spent my New Year running a new 10 gauge wires for the compressor.

Dang, they want a lot of money for a widebody in Sweden. I can buy 5 Pinarello F12 for that. hehehe

First of all, the currently cheapest widebody in Sweden is being auctioned for $70k+.
I bought my used srt 392 for about $45k. Kind of speaks for itself, right?
Second, I bought this car to actually learn how to do mods.
So the $400 flares, $1000 wheels + $500 for 2 new tires plus the experience gained makes alot of sence to me :)

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
182 Posts
Btw, this is the 1st fender that i mentioned that took too much time for the body work. It's not a slap on flares but rather bolted and used riv nuts on the panel. I decided i dont want to see hairline gaps so 2 layers of body adhesive, fiberglass bondo then glaze. Drove it to the bumpy twisties and driving to big dips on freeways and no sign of cracking. More sanding and scuffing the rest of the panels that needs to be painted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doing my own painting is also on my bucket list, for later though.
I found a video on youtube, guy who install it by attaching flat-headed bolts on the flares and drill holes to connect it. Haven't finished watching all his videos yet but sure looks like it'll hold like forever. The way to go for me

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
182 Posts
the flares are not design to be bolt on and does not have the bowl for the bolts to be flush even with the counter sink screws. I cut some thin flat sheet metal then drill and attached it on the back on the flares with heavy duty adhesive and lay some resin and fiberglass as a backing to allow me to drill the flares a little bigger and hide the bolt head at the same time.

Doing my own painting is also on my bucket list, for later though.
I found a video on youtube, guy who install it by attaching flat-headed bolts on the flares and drill holes to connect it. Haven't finished watching all his videos yet but sure looks like it'll hold like forever. The way to go for me

1 - 20 of 20 Posts