Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see we don't have a Widebody specific forum.

I found a very nice Octane Red Widebody at a decent price, but the only thing drawing me away from the Widebodies is the tires. Widebodies come from factory with a 305/35/20 tire, and Atturo makes their AZ850 and AZ800 in 315/35/20. These have a slightly larger diameter, but I think the difference is negligible and something I can deal with, or adjust with Tazer.

Does anyone know if this car has problems running 315s in the front?

Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Atturo’s are crap , period. Dangerous with the amount of dry rot and longitudinal splitting on multiple sizes within less than one year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Atturo’s are crap , period. Dangerous with the amount of dry rot and longitudinal splitting on multiple sizes within less than one year.

Hasn't been my experience so far, do you have evidence proving otherwise?

Alternatively, either @Hal H or @Cuda340 constantly praise their Cooper tires. Slightly more expensive.

·
Registered
122 Posts

When did you buy them? I’ve purchased 2 sets of Atturos in the past two years and have had no issues with them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Beware atturo tires!!!

The link doesn’t seem to work , it’s a thread over on lx if you do a search for “beware atturo tires” it’ll come right up. Many of us have had issues with them for the last three years or so. You 100% get what you pay for(in other words a cheap ass tire). A better tire to use in a slightly steeper price range but comparable to ps4s in performance is the toyo t1 sport. They’re a 240 compound and a great tread , for around 200$ per tire depending on size.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,441 Posts

I found a very nice Octane Red Widebody at a decent price, but the only thing drawing me away from the Widebodies is the tires. Widebodies come from factory with a 305/35/20 tire, and Atturo makes their AZ850 and AZ800 in 315/35/20. These have a slightly larger diameter, but I think the difference is negligible and something I can deal with, or adjust with Tazer.

Any input appreciated!
The difference in diameter is minimal, like 3.5mm or about 4/32 of an inch. So when the 315 are about 1/2 way worn, they are the same as new 305s. Also I read through all 9 pages of the Atturo thread and there was really only 2 pictures of tires with issues. I didn't like the first one that started the thread, but all mentioned smoky burnouts. So, if you plan on heating them up a lot, I might steer away from them. Personally I try to find USA made tires, then maybe Europe or Korea. I avoid China/Taiwan and Japan.

·
Registered
809 Posts

Any input appreciated!
I started a similar thread asking "largest front tire to fit Widebody" a short time ago.

The consensus was a 315 on the front, on stock wheels, was not a problem.

Although, no Widebody owners posted pics or went into any great detail about it.

Your concerns of tire costs is fully warranted. Significant difference in price when jumping from a 245 or 275 vs a 305 or 315.

Another concern should be the additional cost of brake work on the Widebodys 6 pot Brembo's vs 4 pot.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The difference in diameter is minimal, like 3.5mm or about 4/32 of an inch. So when the 315 are about 1/2 way worn, they are the same as new 305s. Also I read through all 9 pages of the Atturo thread and there was really only 2 pictures of tires with issues. I didn't like the first one that started the thread, but all mentioned smoky burnouts. So, if you plan on heating them up a lot, I might steer away from them. Personally I try to find USA made tires, then maybe Europe or Korea. I avoid China/Taiwan and Japan.
I personally threw out three pairs of atturos due to dry rot and cracks. Only one pair of which was a rear set of tires(315/35/20). The other two pairs (255/55/18 terrible cracking & 275/40/20 mediocre rot) were both front sets , so no burnouts whatsoever. There will be no quality control with cheap tires coming from Taiwan. So it’s always a crapshoot , some have had good luck with the 275/40 but I’ve seen and heard multiple bad reports on the 315/35 and on the 255/55. Tires are something I wouldn’t risk. A blowout from a dry rotted split tire at speed can be catastrophic, and just to save a couple pennies is not worth it.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I personally threw out three pairs of atturos due to dry rot and cracks. Only one pair of which was a rear set of tires(315/35/20). The other two pairs (255/55/18 terrible cracking & 275/40/20 mediocre rot) were both front sets , so no burnouts whatsoever. There will be no quality control with cheap tires coming from Taiwan. So it’s always a crapshoot , some have had good luck with the 275/40 but I’ve seen and heard multiple bad reports on the 315/35 and on the 255/55. Tires are something I wouldn’t risk. A blowout from a dry rotted split tire at speed can be catastrophic, and just to save a couple pennies is not worth it.

I will be needing tires soonish, definitely before winter. I saw some this morning when searching that were USA made and it surprised me. It was a brand that I assumed was Asian, but I can't find it now. Also you have to check each tire size, like some Generals I was looking at were made in Germany, but the same tire in other sizes was from Portugal and maybe Chech Republic or something. With all the EU stuff, they are blurring country lines. And some Firestones are US or Mexico depending on the size. But I will never buy a Firestone... that's another story.

Reactions: Ronan978

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,622 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
You won't regret going Widebody - the tracking and handling is amazing. The width really hooks the torque man, even on the street.

Anyways.

Anyone run these Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s in 305 on their widebody? I had these tires on my '07 Charger RT for a cheap summer tire, and they performed well. They were not the most amazing tire - but reliable traction in the wet and great grip/handling in the dry. Anyone check these? They are $273/tire for 305/35/20 size.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts