Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i picked up a new multi purpose trailer, can anyone with a widebody challenger measure the tire stance and tell me it's width?

how are you guys tieing down your cars? i was thinking of going with some nylon straps over the wheels to the stake pockets but am concerned about getting it secure.

like these
Amazon.com: VULCAN Car Tie Down with Flat Hooks - Lasso Style - 2 Inch x 96 Inch, 4 Pack - PROSeries - 3,300 Pound Safe Working Load: Automotive

I've got approx. 1 month till the car gets here so i can order up some straps or parts to help out this process.

any advice is apricated

thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
16,215 Posts
It's about 80" outside tire clearance, definitely needs about the widest trailer you can get.

Might also need some 2x10s for loading and clearance.

It's open or enclosed?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is a open trailer with drive over fenders that are no more than 7" from the deck ,there is 85" between the fenders, it is 24' long with a 18' tilt deck. im sure i will have to make some pre ramps to lower the ramp angle some but it seems the car should fit fine, just a matter of figuring out how to tie it down now

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
it is a open trailer with drive over fenders that are no more than 7" from the deck ,there is 85" between the fenders, it is 24' long with a 18' tilt deck. im sure i will have to make some pre ramps to lower the ramp angle some but it seems the car should fit fine, just a matter of figuring out how to tie it down now
One thing you might want to try.....crank the jack down on the trailer, raising the front of the trailer some, but not enough to take any significant weight off of the drive axle of the tow vehicle. This may give you some additional angle without using any boards. Obviously...take the boards with you just in case.

Reactions: icecoldmn

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the jack thing is a great plan, the trailer has a super heavy duty jack so i could easly adjust the angle some with it, since i dont plan on trailering it a lot ill likely just cut up some 2x10's and make a staggered ramp to get it done. i just want to get it to the ppf place and back home to install the rock guards without causing any unnecessary chips.

here is a pic of the trailer tilted up and yes i realize i should have bought a sublime car not the go mango but i've always been a hot mess sort of guy...lol
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Tree

·
Registered
125 Posts
the jack thing is a great plan, the trailer has a super heavy duty jack so i could easly adjust the angle some with it, since i dont plan on trailering it a lot ill likely just cut up some 2x10's and make a staggered ramp to get it done. i just want to get it to the ppf place and back home to install the rock guards without causing any unnecessary chips.

here is a pic of the trailer tilted up View attachment 1016405 and yes i realize i should have bought a sublime car not the go mango but i've always been a hot mess sort of guy...lol
Is that a 5th wheel?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that a 5th wheel?
nope, i tow everything with a ford excursion with a 7.3 diesel and 1 ton modified springs all around. no where for a fith wheel to hook up to so o have to go bumper pull...it is rated at 17.5k though so a challenger is a lightweight on it.

tomorrow im going to try and come up with some sort of ramp system to lower the angle like a race ramp system only using things i already have. for the limited use ill need the ramps cant see buying a dedicated race ramp system for this trailer. but since i dont have the car yet im kinda guessing at this point

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
so i picked up a new multi purpose trailer, can anyone with a widebody challenger measure the tire stance and tell me it's width?

how are you guys tieing down your cars? i was thinking of going with some nylon straps over the wheels to the stake pockets but am concerned about getting it secure.

like these
Amazon.com: VULCAN Car Tie Down with Flat Hooks - Lasso Style - 2 Inch x 96 Inch, 4 Pack - PROSeries - 3,300 Pound Safe Working Load: Automotive

I've got approx. 1 month till the car gets here so i can order up some straps or parts to help out this process.

any advice is apricated

thanks
No trailer experience with my Dodge vehicles, but I trailered my Boxster 2K miles from MO to CA with no problems. Used something similar to the wheel/tire hold downs pictured in the link. These hold downs "came with" the trailer I rented. As per the "law" I also attached a "safety" chain to a substantial location of the car's under carriage for just in case the hold downs all came loose.

All I did was at every fuel stop check the trailer hitch for any signs of issues. I checked the hold downs were tight. (They always were.) And I confirmed the safety chain was secure. (It always was.) Oh, and I checked trailer (and tow vehicle) tires for any signs of low pressure. (This before TPMS.) Like big rig truck drivers I didn't check with a tire pressure gauge but used a tire iron to thump the tires.

Then at the start of the day at the hotel I'd do the same checks. 2K mile trip was uneventful.

Added: Forgot to mention before I agreed to the trailer I insisted on trial loading the car onto the trailer. The rental agency guy was ok with this. While the nose of the Boxster was low I could get it on the trailer with no contact of the car with the trailer. Had there been I could have backed the car onto the trailer, I think. That is I knew from my experience with using Rhino Ramps to change the engine oil I could not drive on to the ramps in the forward direction but could back up on them with plenty of clearance.

But to put the car on the rental trailer this was not necessary.

·
Registered
16,215 Posts
Plan on some 2x10s or at least 2x8s. You will probably need them at the transition where the front wheel starts up the ramp. Then you might need them to clear the fender so you can open the door and clear the front splitter. But looks like it can be done with your trailer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Challenger T/A 392 A8
92 Posts
I don't have a picture of my Challenger on the trailer but I use these same straps that I towed this Honda with. I've also used 4ft long D ring straps thru the wheels and then hooked to tie down straps.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to be honest im somewhat concerned that strapping like above might put undue strain on suspension components? it would seem to me that pulling at less of a angle would be better on things. but since my trailer has stake pockets down the sides i will have tons of tie down points.

since the fenders are only 6.75 above the deck im thinking the doors will open just fine,my boss is going to do some measuring on his 16 HC tomorrow to see what he thinks.

i ordered 10 of the stake pocket tie points tonight and now just have to decide on the straps, i was also thinking maybe e track would be the way to go but the straps are cleaner if they work well

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
to be honest im somewhat concerned that strapping like above might put undue strain on suspension components? it would seem to me that pulling at less of a angle would be better on things. but since my trailer has stake pockets down the sides i will have tons of tie down points.

since the fenders are only 6.75 above the deck im thinking the doors will open just fine,my boss is going to do some measuring on his 16 HC tomorrow to see what he thinks.

i ordered 10 of the stake pocket tie points tonight and now just have to decide on the straps, i was also thinking maybe e track would be the way to go but the straps are cleaner if they work well
The g-forces you can subject your car to while on the trailer and held in place by those straps pales in comparison to the forces the suspension has to contend with when the vehicle is being driven.

Strap the car down and trailer on dude.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts

like these

any advice is apricated

thanks
Get the Vulcan straps, they work perfect. Also go look at the Race Ramps website and get a set of ramps and load that big Widebody without a worry.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the pics dgatzby, do you know the model number of your ramps? those look like they would work perfectly

are they the rr-tr5?

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
thanks for the pics dgatzby, do you know the model number of your ramps? those look like they would work perfectly

are they the rr-tr5?
They are. But run through their calculations to make the right selection for your trailer and slope etc. They work as perfect as they look. They are easy to put in the car, in the trunk, or just tie down under the car on the trailer. 100% happy.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge 1320
99 Posts

These are what i use to tie my 1320 down. Bringing front wheels onto a raised ramp helps getting to the front.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts