Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some out there that have taken the Challenger apart enough to know
what all would be involved in doing a Tub..

It obviously is not as simple as moving/removing the plastic wheel well liners..
What is behind those that is stopping it from being done.?

There has to be a better way to get some wideazz tires on this without going the widebody route..

Why has no one tubbed a Challenger rather than do this to it.?

Tubbed: to increase the size of the wheelwell inwards to allow larger/wider tires..

·
Registered
74 Posts
In my opinion, to each his own, but....

Why would anyone want to do either to such a beautiful car?
I'm all for individuality, but sometimes there is perfection that should not be messed with.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

I guess I'm old school

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is one that has been tubbed..

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Since I'm ol' skool........tubbed would require a narrowed rear-end, the wide-body would not. When they tub a car with an IRS rear, usually the original rear is swapped out with a narrowed Ford 9", 12 Bolt or Dana 60 (I've seen all those used). Tubbing will require more money as when you narrow the rear, you also have to get shorter axles, modify the whole rear suspension (most go to a 4-link or a Watts Link setup www.V8TVshow.com - Project Splitter's New Watts Link Blog ) Generally, tubbing is for the hardcore with a great deal work in suspension geometry.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Generally, tubbing is for the hardcore with a great deal work in suspension geometry.
How about going with a "mini" tub where you keep the stock suspension/drivetrain and
just move/remove inner wheel well body pieces to get wider tires.?

Is that possible.?

I don't need 22" wide tires in back, but I do want wider than 12"..

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
How about going with a "mini" tub where you keep the stock suspension/drivetrain and

Is that possible.?

t

You could if you had custom wheels made. It's actually not that hard if your handy with a Sawzall, a rotary cutoff saw and a welder. A lot friends of mine back in Detroit used this on old Novas.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

Is that possible.?

Two problems that I can see with this, cutting or removing the inner wheel well will require a lot of modifications still, basically cause now you will be getting into the structure of the car. Also I don't think anybody makes a rim with the proper backspacing to run a tire wider than 12"

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that we know you don't have to totally redo the rear axle,, back to the original question..
I know there are some out there that have taken the Challenger apart enough to know
what all would be involved in doing a (mini) Tub..

It obviously is not as simple as moving/removing the plastic wheel well liners..
What is behind those that is stopping it from being done.?

There has to be a better way to get some wider tires on, without going the widebody route..

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think anybody makes a rim with
the proper backspacing to run a tire wider than 12"
Maybe not yet..

I will need to get custom wheels done anyway, because no one makes one that I like:
in the proper size, with the proper bolt pattern, and the proper backspacing..

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cutting or removing the inner wheel well will require a lot of modifications still,
basically cause now you will be getting into the structure of the car.
Nothing a little welding won't cure..
and it will look a hell of a lot better than the widebody..

and since this is a Unibody constructed vehicle, isn't doing a widebody like they
did "getting into the structure of the car".?
btw: not trying to be a smart ass, I am actually looking for knowledge to do this..

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
On old Mopars, you could cut out the wheel well, split it in half and adda 3 inch strip of metal. Of course you would need to remove 3 inches of metal in the trunk area to make the wheel well fit again. And a shortened rear end with the Mopar leaf spring relocation kit.

I guess something similar could be done if you want to hack up your ride so soon. I know its your car and all, but tubbing an SE?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
On old Mopars, you could cut out the wheel well, split it in half and adda 3 inch strip of metal. Of course you would need to remove 3 inches of metal in the trunk area to make the wheel well fit again. And a shortened rear end with the Mopar leaf spring relocation kit.

I guess something similar could be done if you want to hack up your ride so soon. I know its your car and all, but tubbing an SE?
LOL.....If I was to tub a new Challenger.....it would be an SE :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Super Moderator
15,782 Posts
One of the big issues - the IRS subrame mounting points. These are near the inner wheel well / structure of the body. The stock IRS control arms and the end links for the sway bars become another issue. Another one is the top attachment point of the rear shocks are on the inside top of the wheel well.

The best bet is a larger diameter rim to clear suspension parts and adjusting the backset for max rim width to clear swaybar end link - you will still have some limitations, and rolling the lip of the wheel well will gain some space there, especially with a lowered car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This is just me.......if I were to tub a car, I'd go with a narrowed solid axle and redo the suspension. A lot of work, but that's what hot rodding all about.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts