Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put any wider tires on the stock 20x8 wheels. 245 is stock what do you guys think is the widest u can go? 255 265???

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts
255 is the suggested widest on 8" wheels. Have people gone wider, sure. A recent post showed 275s on 8" wheels. Should you go wider...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
You could go with 255's, but would that even be noticeable? The only way to get more meat on the wheel is to have a wider than 8" to work with.

As for putting 275's on an 8" rim, most shop won't do that due to liability issues.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Like A Guy has mentioned , 255 is largest recommended. You could probably get away with 275 , but that’s kinda pushing it 265 would be as far as I’d push it. Personally, I’d look into larger wheels to accommodate larger tires if it’s traction your after. If it’s just for look , I wouldn’t go wider than 265. For the record , here in LI , most shops will do whatever you’d like, so I wouldn’t worry about that too much. If they say they won’t do it(haven’t run into that yet ) just go to another shop. I’ve run 315’s on 10” wheels with no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
Don't go over a 255 on an 8-inch wide wheel. The tires will not wear or perform properly and may even be dangerous.

Look at the image in the center of the following diagram.

Tire Fitment.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just want to get a little bit of that bubbled out look and just try to flush the wheels out to the fender a lil further. There rescesed so far back it drives my crazy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's an 18 challenger so I really hate to swap out brand new wheels already. Have thought about a set of replica hellcat wheels. Never thought I would say this about a sports car but 20" wheels just look kinda small on a challenger as compared to a camaro or mustang

·
Registered
583 Posts
You can go up to a 265 , the image above is exaggerated in this case. A 265 will only be 5mm larger per side and the difference will be negligible. Any larger and you’ll start to bulge like the pic above. You can also run a 3-6mm spacer to poke them out a bit more if you like. Do not go any larger than 6mm on the oem studs. Larger spacers require either longer studs , or a wheel adapter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Incorrect I've been running half inch spacers for over a year and never had an issue even at +100mph

·
Registered
583 Posts
Looks ok to me
That’s a little bit too much bulge , problem you’ll have is the tire kinda folding under cornering. Again , many people do it , I usually won’t go past the recommended width by more than 10mm.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Incorrect I've been running half inch spacers for over a year and never had an issue even at +100mph
That is terrible, and only a matter of time. The limit is actually about 8mm. When you tighten a lugnut , or any nut for that matter. The formula for proper fit is the nut should engage as many threads as the diameter of the bolt. In this case , your lug should engage 14mm of threads. You are not getting that with 13mm spacers. I know this for fact.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s a little bit too much bulge , problem you’ll have is the tire kinda folding under cornering. Again , many people do it , I usually won’t go past the recommended width by more than 10mm.

How do you feel about the replica hellcat wheels that are 20" up front and 22" in back. 10" in back and 9.5 up front I think this might get me closer to the look I want

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is terrible, and only a matter of time. The limit is actually about 8mm. When you tighten a lugnut , or any nut for that matter. The formula for proper fit is the nut should engage as many threads as the diameter of the bolt. In this case , your lug should engage 14mm of threads. You are not getting that with 13mm spacers. I know this for fact.
I'm getting at least an inch of stud or more so I'm sure it's over 13mm and I keep a constant check on the tightness as well. I'm a heavy modifier to cars and a half inch spacer is prob the smallest spacer I've ever ran. Lol never had issues. Most issues come from people who let there buddies do it for them in the backyard I have a full shop and do custom work

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm getting at least an inch of stud or more so I'm sure it's over 13mm and I keep a constant check on the tightness as well. I'm a heavy modifier to cars and a half inch spacer is prob the smallest spacer I've ever ran. Lol never had issues. Most issues come from people who let there buddies do it for them in the backyard I have a full shop and do custom work

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is not spaced that far. Hardly noticable. It's got quite a ways to make it flush to the fender

·
Registered
583 Posts
How do you feel about the replica hellcat wheels that are 20" up front and 22" in back. 10" in back and 9.5 up front I think this might get me closer to the look I want
Your best bet is 100% getting the correct wheels. I personally run 20x9 245/40/20 up front and 17x10 315/50/17 in the back. I also run a 13mm spacer in back , before I changed out to longer studs , I 100% did not have 14mm of thread engagement. I had about 3-4 turns of the nut. Should be closer to 8 full turns.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts