Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the widest tire in the rear you can put on an rt 20x8 wheel? Will a 275/40r20 fit

·
Registered
300 Posts
A lot of discussion about this on here, i am looking at this too, the 275 40 20 will fit but not many tire places will put them on for you. Some members have them on and have had no problems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
I disagree. Tire manufacturers state that a 275/40/20 tire requires a minimum 9" wide wheel. You can squeeze it on an 8" wide wheel but the tire will not wear or perform properly. Look at the middle example.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I researched this topic to DEATH almost. 275 is the absolute widest that will work. You don't want those in the front because it will rub against the sway bar. In the rear is no problem. I've talked to three reputable local tire shops and not only did they say it would work but would be willing to install it.

If you go to big name places they will refuse because of liability.

Tons of guys on the forum running 275s on their Heritage wheel without any wear issues or any problems.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
It's weird...I went to several local tire shops to see if they would be willing to put a 275 tire on the 8" heritage wheel. All (mostly big name stores) declined to do so. My brother a week later takes his fox body Mustang to a big name store and they put a 275 on his 18x8 wheel without question. I think its Mopar discrimination!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
It's weird...I went to several local tire shops to see if they would be willing to put a 275 tire on the 8" heritage wheel. All (mostly big name stores) declined to do so. My brother a week later takes his fox body Mustang to a big name store and they put a 275 on his 18x8 wheel without question. I think its Mopar discrimination!
Big companies have stricter guildlines to protect their collective a$$es incase something were to go wrong. I've learned my lesson, I will never get my car serviced at the dealership nor will I have any big name company mess with my ride. I learned the hard way, and now I just go to local reputable shops that care more about their service than getting richer.

LOL, and yeah maybe it is Mopar discrimination. I think it's funny how people have brand loyality. I can honestly say I admire cares from most all car companies including Ford and Chevy.. doesn't mean I want their muscle car though! :thumbsup:

·
Vendor
12,923 Posts
most bigger tire shop or company will not, 275 40 will fit and from my personal opinion, have been driving on 275-40's for some time, and with some very agressive driving with no issues,
however if you asked us to install, we would decline
Luke

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Tire Discounters put 275/40s on my 8" wheels with no concerns. The tire/rim combo also nowhere resembles the middle picture posted earlier either.

They stated they install that tire all the time on 20 by 8s with absolutely no concerns.

Reactions: OmahaRumble

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any pictures

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just put some 265/50x20's on the back of mine on the heritage RT classic wheels and it looks killer. Does not rub and gives a nice stance.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just put some 265/50x20's on the back of mine on the heritage RT classic wheels and it looks killer. Does not rub and gives a nice stance.
. Does it mess up your abs if its a different height than rear? Any pictures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No issues with the abs. Dont know how to do pics on this site.

·
Super Moderator
14,917 Posts
No issues with the abs. Dont know how to do pics on this site.
Follow these easy steps:

1. Click on "Edit"
2. Click on "Go Advanced"
3. Click on "Manage Attachments" (A pop-up box will appear)
4. Click on "Browse"
5. Click on "Choose File" (from "Pictures" on your PC)
6. Click "Upload"
7. Click on "Close Window" (you will be returned to your message)
8. Click "Submit"

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go under manage attatchments below your message and choose from computer then upload

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bummer

I'd love a peak at your 265/50/20 set up.
Bet it looks quite old school.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Here a pic of stock 245s in the front and 265/50s in the rear. I will search for more photos:

Here is 275/40s in the rear on the Heritage wheel.. look how nice and FAT those rears look! That's what I'm goin' for:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd love a peak at your 265/50/20 set up.
Bet it looks quite old school.
Thats why I did it! :) My car is lowered 2 inches in front and 1 inch in rear, wanted the old muscle car look.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts