Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am not mistaken the stock R/T classic wheels on my 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic are 20x8. What's the largest I can run on the stock wheels? I was looking to go wider in the rear and keep 245/45 in the front.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
255 on an 8" wheel recommended, although some have gotten a 275 on there. I think there's a little to much sidewall bulge with 275s, and in my experience none of the big chain tire stores will put anything larger than a 255 on an 8" wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I have the 2010 Heritage Classic wheels which are also 20x8. I've read several things of guys putting 275s on the car and gotten over 40k miles on them. That tells me that they should be okay. I am a bit skeptical too but I WANT the beefer rears in the back only. I want the staggered look without having to pay $500 to get my wheels widened.

When my Coopers wear out I'm seriously thinking about going 275/40s in the back. I think that would be the perfect look for these cars. As of now the rear looks too puny and weak with 245s.

·
Registered
2012 R/T
81 Posts
I've got 275/40's all the way around on mine with no issues

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
For how many miles have you had these 275s on your Classic? Also do you drive aggressively on the street or do you nanny it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
There are at least two fellas I know that are also running "275/40s" on all four corners that haven't encountered any issues whatsoever. That's probably about as far as you'd want to go on an 8-inch rim, however.

Good luck !!

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Registered
2012 R/T
81 Posts
I changed to the SRT suspension a few months ago, so its lowered about 3/4 of an inch. And its my daily driver, so I don't hammer it 24/7, but I pretty much drive the snot out of it

Reactions: PCPShaker

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
You can squeeze a 275 tire on an 8 inch rim but it will not perform or wear properly. A rim that is too narrow will pinch the tire in and cause it to balloon more in cross-section. Look at the the attached diagram for tire fit issues.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
You can squeeze a 275 tire on an 8 inch rim but it will not perform or wear properly. A rim that is too narrow will pinch the tire in and cause it to balloon more in cross-section. Look at the the attached diagram for tire fit issues.
How do you explain that some have stated they have over 40k miles on the the car with 275/40s in the rear, or in some cases all around? If a tire lasts that long then it must wearing just fine. I understand what your saying thought. All shops I talked to said it would work but that would be the limit. They said the side wall would budge and you may not like the look, I already know I LOVE the look. Heck, if they made a 265/40 20" wheel I'd go with that to be safe. 255 is not much different than 245.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had 275/40/20 mounted on the back on my stock chrome clads no problem. My car is also lowered 1.7". Firestone store did it no questions asked. Looks and rides fine. Firestone gave me a 40k tread life warranty on them. Straight line traction is significantly better than the 245s!

Reactions: dodgetony

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I had 275/40/20 mounted on the back on my stock chrome clads no problem. My car is also lowered 1.7". Firestone store did it no questions asked. Looks and rides fine. Firestone gave me a 40k tread life warranty on them. Straight line traction is significantly better than the 245s!
I think there was some confusion, some say the chrome clads are 9" wheels other say 8". May I ask how long you've had the 275 on the back and did you notice any change in side to side movement or handling? And yeah that extra grip must be nice! I wish they made a 265.... I may go 255 all around to be "safe" but I really want to keep my rims and get the 275s.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've had them on for a few weeks and didn't really notice any difference in handling but haven't really pushed the car in the turns since I've had them. The straight line traction is awesome though! Rear end squats and car takes off where as before the 245s would just spin when you gave it full throttle at slower speeds

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just put 265 50 20 on the rear on my '11 rt classic.....no doubt about it should have done that as my first mod. The stance of the car is 100% better. Plenty of clearance.

Will post pics once i take one that does it justice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts