Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which size tires will fit on stock wheels on the 392?

285s, 295s?

And... if using 315 tires with aftermarket wheels, with the correct offset, will the 315s rub at stock height?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT
307 Posts
I think you need to give more info than just 392.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm running Firestone 275/40R20 Firehawk Wide Ovals on my '13 SRT 392's rear wheels, with Goodyear Eagles 245/70ZR20 in the front. I love the staggered look of the wider tires in the back, but it is worth noting that the wider tires do tend to kick up more debris and filth from the road than the stock 245s, necessitating a bit more diligence in cleaning the rear fenders more often and being more cautious about avoiding gravel.

If anyone is able to get 285s mounted, let me know.

WAS

Attachments

·
Registered
SRT 392
8 Posts
This is the same question ive been asking and all I can get is speculation as to how wide we can go on the stock 9.5 inch rim. I have yet to find anyone who has done 305s on the rear with the stock rim.

·
Registered
513 Posts
This is the same question ive been asking and all I can get is speculation as to how wide we can go on the stock 9.5 inch rim. I have yet to find anyone who has done 305s on the rear with the stock rim.
Actually, it may not be really clear what question you are asking. If you mean what is the widest tire you can "correctly" install on a 9.5" rim, then the answer is probably - per many tire manufacturers - a 285. If your question is can I force a 305 onto a 9.5" rim and run it on the rear, then probably yes - but carefully. To do some of your own research, check the rim requirements for different size tires at someplace like Tire Rack. They provide the tire manufacturer's specs for almost all of the tires they sell - including rim width.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Depending on the tire manufacturer. Some run narrower than others. 305s will be fine if you go with nittos. Their tires are a little on the narrow side. 295s would by ideal. But do your own research. There're lots of members running 305s on 9.5" stock wheels.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2016 IWTC SRT Hellcat
64 Posts
I've had a '15 SRT & now a '16 Hellcat - A 10in rim w/18mm offset is all you can get, without spacers - I stuck with 275/40ZR20 on all four cause the 18mm leaves about 3/16 clearance from the front strut & a 275 with tire, without spacers - I was able to find 315/35ZR20 with a 28.7" diameter, the same as the 275's, but they want 10.5s & that ain't going to fit the front w/out a spacer & the tire would stick out too far from the fender... So to help myself, I theorize... The 10" rims widen the track, make the tires look smaller, & the 'cat does not need the added under steer from the stagger, tire rotation seem a bonus too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back in 2005 I owned a WS6 Firebird and I ran 315s on the back, and the car was lowered. It did rub the fenders a bit and the inside front well when bottoming out (where the rear passenger seats are), but not as bad as I expected. I'm not sure why Dodge just doesn't make the Challenger thinking about those things, people would like to install wider tires to get a better stance and grip. Wheels on the pic below are after-market and I don't remember the offset... doesn't matter on a Challenger forum anyways :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Depending on the tire manufacturer. Some run narrower than others. 305s will be fine if you go with nittos. Their tires are a little on the narrow side. 295s would by ideal. But do your own research. There're lots of members running 305s on 9.5" stock wheels.

I checked Nitto Website:
NT05 Max Performance Tire
All 305 tires I found called for 10" or greater wheels. It is very difficult - if not impossible - to find a tire manufacturer that builds a 305 tire spec'ed for a wheel smaller then 10 inch width.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I checked Nitto Website:
NT05 Max Performance Tire
All 305 tires I found called for 10" or greater wheels. It is very difficult - if not impossible - to find a tire manufacturer that builds a 305 tire spec'ed for a wheel smaller then 10 inch width.

I know but like I said the nittos run narrower than most other tire brands. Dodge even put them on the hellcat which come with 9.5" wheels. Their people even said its fine. I don't see any issues. Lots of people here have the 305s on their 9.5" wheels. And the nice thing about the 15s is the fenders are rolled. Now if you're doing road course racing, I'd recommend against it.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,520 Posts
I went into the dealership for our first oil change and talked to a Guy that was trying to work out a deal to trade his 2015 SRT 392 for a Hellcat.

He had 305 Nitto Motivo or something like that on his car. They were on the OEM rims, and I'll tell you that from the back, they looked Nice!

There wasn't a sidewall bulge or anything like that on it and they fit good on there.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I went into the dealership for our first oil change and talked to a Guy that was trying to work out a deal to trade his 2015 SRT 392 for a Hellcat.

He had 305 Nitto Motivo or something like that on his car. They were on the OEM rims, and I'll tell you that from the back, they looked Nice!

There wasn't a sidewall bulge or anything like that on it and they fit good on there.
Would not have been the Nitto Motivo - they don't make a 305 - 20 tire in that series.
Motivo All-Season Ultra High Performance Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I'm will try get 10 inch wide Hurst Stunners. I'm considering 9 inch Stunners for the front. I would like to mount 315's on the rear and 255's up front. Will this work? Anyone try this? If 305's are more practical, I'll do this, but even the 305 looks a bit thin on the Challenger.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts