Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Wife needs new tires

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Yaanufs 
#1 ·
She has a 2010 SRT8. We bought it used a year and a half ago from a Ford dealer. They put new tires on it but they were directionals. So with the staggered stock set up and directionals,, the tires couldn't be rotated at all. They are now in need of being replaced. Do I have to stay with the staggered set-up or can I go with the same size all the way around? How wide are the stock wheels on the front and on the back? Also, any help on what kind of tires would be appreciated. I am leaning towards the Nitto Motivo's.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Stock SRT's come with (depending on options)

255 rears and 245 fronts. You can go 255 all around, or 245 all around for rotation purposes. Do not put anything larger than 255 up front. If it were me: I'd put 275's on the back (safest big tire on stock rim) and 245 up front. Nittos are popular on this site.

#3 ·
Thanks for the fast response. I just hung up with Discount Tire. I prefer to go 255 all the way around so that I can get more mileage out of them with a 4 way rotation,, but the guy on the phone said that they need to be staggered. I checked on the 275's like you mentioned,, they were $221 vs. $186 for the 255's.

#5 ·
They do not need to be staggered, it's just an option on the SRTs.

Whether the tires come staggered or not, the stock wheel size is 20x9 on all 4 corners. The tire sizes are staggered (on some), but the wheels are all the same.

#6 · (Edited)
Contrary to what I've read the most. I've just put OEM Goodyear F1 Supercar 245/45R20 all the way around and am enjoying them. Tire pressure is set at 35 all around. My traction is good, tires look good, and so far have been pretty darn pleased with them. The fact that I got them for 161.95 per tire with a $160 mail in rebate($80 doubled for using Goodyear card with 0% for 6 months) helped me make the decision as well. My local GY wouldn't go below 200 per tire initially but I insisted I could get them for 161 per tire from discount tire direct they finally met me at 161.95. I had to pay tax but it was better in the end because I couldn't get the MIR doubled from DTD.

My next set of tires will be something else because I am still experimenting. But as of right now I am quite pleased with my 245/45 F1 Supercars.

#7 ·
Stock Tires: Are very Good!

I just got back from an "SRT Experience" in Dallas and the most amazing thing that I got out of it was:
Just how the stock 245's can grip the race surface! very rarely could you hear any of the tires chirpping, just amazing how well the stock tires work on turns at a much higher speed than most would actually drive on public roads. I would say that the 245's are just fine with any SRT! Of course I just love bigger tires for just the looks!

David

#8 ·
Thanks Havoc,, that's what I wanted to hear. The guy at Discount said that the front wheels were 9.5" and the rears were 10.5". If they are both 9" like you say,, I will try to go same size on all four corners. One more question,, will the 255/45's fit on the front with no problems? The 255's are $30 cheaper than the 245's

#10 ·
Just like oil, oil filters, religion, and politics – discussion related to tires will result in many opinions. I have a 10 SRT. The OEM staggered set up with GY F1s provided excellent handling but in my opinion they were noisy on the highway understanding most people would not care. When I got a set of 2012 Charger SRT wheels I debated on tires. I almost went with the Michelin Super Sport because of the superior reviews and tread warranty (1/2 of stated when running staggered sizes). However, I opted for the Nitto Motivos. I picked up a bit of ride comfort, reduced some noise on the highway, and if I lost any handling I cannot tell it. Now, if with time they get hard or become noisy I will disappointed but for now I think they are pretty good. They are probably not as good as the Michelin Super Sports but maybe a step or two above the GY F1s and many other tires available.

#12 ·
245X45-20 front 255X45-20 rear... OEM size for SRT w/perf tire package. I am kinda sure I would not go 255 all the way around if I did it again because visually there is not a lot of difference between 245 fronts and 255 rears. In my opinion what the car needs with 20X9 rims are 255X45 fronts and 275X45-20 or 285X40-20 rear. However, options are slim and prices high for those combinations.

#13 ·
"wife needs new tires"???...never heard it put that way before, but I guess this is a car enthusiast forum. :p

#14 ·
In my opinion what the car needs with 20X9 rims are 255X45 fronts and 275X45-20 or 285X40-20 rear. However, options are slim and prices high for those combinations.

I agree, that size would probably look better,, but she could care less about how they look. lol and I rarely drive it, I have my own toy to drive. I'm more concern with getting as much mileage out of a new set that I can get. I'm leaning towards going 255 all the way around, but I just read where someone mentioned it may affect the steering a bit.

#15 ·
The SRT has 9" wide wheels front & back. While you can put a 255/45/20 tire on the front, the SRT engineers have advised against it.

If you want to rotate your tires, I would install a 245/45/20 on all four wheels.

Personally, when my tires are worn out, I will keep the 245/45/20 on the front, but will go wider with a 275/40/20 on the rear (max. width for a 9" wheel).

#16 ·
I opted for the 245/45/20 on all corners for the very reasons discussed.
Put the Nitto Motivos on as well.

Mine is a daily driver so I wanted a functional tire that I could rotate. Didn't need anything staggered, or directional. The tires seem fine.

Depending upon how I actually rotate the tires, or don't as the case may be, I might try what Cuda 340 suggests above, which is when they get near their life I'll leave the best remaining pair of 245s on the front and run a pair of 275s on the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.