Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found and joined the forum. My wife was looking for a new car and didn't like the Camaro, test drove the Mustang GT and liked it (but not the dealer) and then found the Challenger and fell in love. It's a TorRed 2010 R/T, 5.7 Hemi, 6-speed stick, Track Pak with very few options like we wanted it. It was stickered at 33 grand and we got it for 28 so we think it was a good deal at a great dealer.
So far we love it with the exception of that annoying skip-shift deal. Considering replacing the whole shifter with a Hurst unit. Thanks for all the info I've got from the board already and look forward to participating.
If anybody is looking for a great deal and a large inventory check out Jim Manning in Dinuba CA. His website is:
www.jimmanningdodge.com
Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car. They make a skip shift eleminator that's fairly cheap. I have an auto so I don't have one but alot of people around here do. From what I understand that's what you need and not a new shifter.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Welcome!

First thing I invested in was the skip shift eliminator harness. Bought mine on Ebay and delivered to the house for less than $8.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Ok so Im clueless on the Skip shifter? Is this something I will have to deal on 2011 SRT challenger with Auto? Thanks AK907

·
Registered
299 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, sounds like you got a real good deal!

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I was hopeing someone with a manual would explain it better but here's what the owners manual says.
1–4 Skip Shift​
There are times when you must shift the transmission
directly from first gear to fourth gear instead of from first
gear to second gear. This is to help you get the best
possible fuel economy from your vehicle. This occurs
when the engine coolant (antifreeze) is higher than 106°F
(41°C), vehicle speed is greater than 19 mph (30 km/h)
but less than 21 mph (34 km/h), and the transmission is
in first gear, and the accelerator is at 1/4 throttle or less.
The “1–4 Skip Shift Indicator Message” will be displayed
during these times.
When the “1–4 Skip Shift Indicator Message” is displayed,
the shift mechanism will only allow shifts from
first gear to fourth gear. After you shift the transmission
to fourth gear, you can press the clutch in and shift to​
another forward gear

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Cure

Thanks for the replies and info on the skip-shift eliminator harness- I'll be getting one next week. My wife wants to try her first burn out this weekend if the sun comes out.

www.theironworm.com

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Have fun but Be carefull if it starts wheel hopping. The rear ends have been known to wine after extended wheel hop.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Congrats, my wife want a 2011 Charger R/T now after seeing the commercial. (I think it will look good in the driveway next to my Challenger R/T)
As far as skip-shift eliminator I would wait on that a bit to decide.

When the car doesn't want you to go to 2nd there is a pretty good reason for it. The problem is it guides you into 4th and that's not a good option either cause it lugs a bit. I was driving mine around today trying to intentionally kick in the skip shift and found that it is best for me to push forward up into 3rd and it all goes smooth as glass. So now when driving easy and saving gas I simply go 1, 3,4, or just 1, 3,

Skip shift happens when you go for 2nd when not under heavy acceleration but high rpms from 1st. So you would have to rev up before releasing clutch when going into second or you will be jerked back. It is in fact very jerky and a good way for your friends to spill their beer. Third is a very nice option for when it doesn't want you to hit second.

I have gotten rather used to learning the car and finding a skip-shift eliminator is not really necessary if you drive the car the way it should be driven.

In mine, I can overrule the skip shift and go into second if I use a bit of persuasion but find I would have been better off reaching for third. So now when I am in that situation when I pull back and it takes me to fourth I just push forward to third before releasing the clutch.

Smooooth.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey Jeff! Welcome to the site. We've met before at the track. So is your wife going to take the car to Sac soon so you can both race? :) Her car may steal the Iron Worm's thunder. LOL.

Mike B.
DragCad Racing

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I would like to say welcome to the best Challenger Forum. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM any of the Admin/Moderators.

Also, please be sure to read General Forum Rules - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Thanks for joining our forum, please enjoy and we look forward to your participation. :bigthumb:

welcome to the family she's going to love this car :)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
This sounds exactly like the CAGS setup on previous Corvettes, except on those cars their was a mechanism that actually made the shift for you. Supposedly gave Chevy an extra 1 mpg on the EPA rating, which to the car companies improves their overall fleet CAFE number.

I am taking delivery of a new Hurst Challenger 6 speed tomorrow. I'm glad I read this post because I'll be looking to the the eliminator harness for mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Better All The Time

Looking forward to the report on that new Hurst machine. Hard to believe they can make it better but I'm sure they can.
Mike- glad to see you're still racing. I'll catch up with you at Sacramento Raceway in the near future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts