Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wild horses

Most new cars and trucks have one thing in common: more horsepower.
Is that because 70 mph cruising is common on expressways and 80 mph cruising is common on rural interstate highways?

Such speeds call for more power to safely merge and pass, and many late model and new cars and trucks have a lot more power-draining comfort and convenience equipment. They also have much better suspensions and tires, which safely allow higher speeds -- although most drivers are ill-prepared to handle high speed emergencies.

Higher speeds and fast acceleration do nothing for fuel economy, but few seem to care unless gasoline hits $3 or more per gallon.

Some automakers stress the higher performance of gasoline/electric hybrids, compared to standard gas engine models, almost as much as they stress the higher fuel economy these hybrids provide.

Performance sells, no matter how it's delivered.
It used to be that a car offered only one fairly low horsepower engine -- or a base motor and higher-horsepower engine that cost extra or was only put in a high-line model. But many cars and trucks routinely now offer at least two -- or three -- engines. Even the base engine provides decent acceleration, and the upscale engine -- or engines -- provide significantly more power.

For example, the Ford Mustang offers a 210-horsepower base V6 that is far more powerful than the old Mustang V-6 or a 300-horsepower V-8. The Chrysler 300 offers four engines with 190, 250, 340 or 425 horsepower. The more humble Hyundai Sonata has a base 162-horsepower four-cylinder or a 235-horsepower V-6.

The general rule is that the more choices given for a specific model with different engines/trim levels, the more cars/trucks are sold.
High-powered muscle cars began appearing in the mid-1950s and were hot sellers in the 1960s and early 1970s, until shut down by such things as strict new government pollution standards. Sophisticated electronics and advanced auto engineering have brought them back.

Such cars now have low emissions and often triple the fuel economy of the old muscle machines, besides exceptional handling, thanks to vastly better tires and suspensions.

The 1964 Pontiac GTO launched the big 1960s muscle car market, and the $32,295 Pontiac GTO with a 400-horsepower V-8 is among the 2006 muscle car crop.

More muscle cars are destined to be introduced. The powerful concept Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger displayed at the show here are likely to be two such cars, with 1960s and early 1970s muscle car styling.

Nobody has to live life in the slow lane anymore.
Read more here

Source: Sun-Times News Group
February 16, 2006
by Dan Jedlicka - Auto Reporter

·
Banned
95 Posts
I agree cars are getting faster. I am a kid of the 80's which is possibly the worst time to be a car nut in the history of modern cars. I turned 16 in 1984 and my choices were the 180 hp IROC Z28 or 190 HP Mustang. Oh boy, even the Vette packing a lethal "Cross-Fire" injection wtf is cross fire anyway?? had only 220 hp. On the import side we had the 911 Turbo for $56K haha or a slow ass 308 Ferrari. I ended up w/ a 1977 T/A 6.6 and a 1983 208ZX Turbo which was about the fastest thing around then.

Today we have cars in every shape and size putting down 300 hp. I could never imagine back then a 4 dr econ box like a Evo or STI be built. Todays choices are staggereing but I think driving school should be a must.

I have taken 3 courses. 2 for racing and one high perf street driving class w/ Derek Bell. When my kids turn 16 once they pass a Derek Bell class then we will talk cars.

·
Registered
598 Posts
....Mark my words,...buy any and all current American high performance cars in the next couple of years or so,....I sense the tide might seriously be changin' I'm sorry to say......cause I got a not so funny feeling ,that they won't be here for long, with possible major goverment changes comin' in the big election years...;)...I feel it in the air,...and it don't feel soo good,...history will repeat itself,...but not if I can help it though,..I want to get everything I can get right now asap,.....now if only DCX would get off the butts and release some info on the car,...and just make it,will-ya?!!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Vanishing Point said:
....Mark my words,...buy any and all current American high performance cars in the next couple of years or so,....I sense the tide might seriously be changin' I'm sorry to say......cause I got a not so funny feeling ,that they won't be here for long, with possible major goverment changes comin' in the big election years...;)...I feel it in the air,...and it don't feel soo good,...history will repeat itself,...but not if I can help it though,..I want to get everything I can get right now asap,.....now if only DCX would get off the butts and release some info on the car,...and just make it,will-ya?!!:rolleyes:
I have worried about that many times....but.... there were high performance vehicles being built from the late 50s-mid 70s so I'll defanitely will take a 20yr. stretch of ground pounding beasts.:D The next big technological advance will probably kill the performance industry for a while, look what EFI did.:mad: Now look at how the automaotive industry has learned how to use it to its ADVANTAGE!:eek: Your probably right the high performance beasts roaming the earth today, and hopefully tomorrow, will eventaully be replaced by new technology but what the hell.......we ain't there....yet.;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I will ALWAYS have a nasty, en-economical, bad for the environment, loud, annoying, sounding like death coming for you v8 or 2 in the garage. The beater car has to have at least 6 cyl too, or a FI 4-banger would be acceptable, but only as a beater car :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Vanishing Point said:
Not so sure about that. True, the price of gas is not coming down anytime soon, but in my opinion it will affect those mammoth SUVs way before it affects the sports car segment of the market.

At least, that's what I hope...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think im gonna ensure my future and invest in like 5 cars and sell them off for alot more in like 30-40 years.
I swear mark my words one day im gong to go nuts and buy like a quarter million dollars worth of useless crap

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sr4tuner said:
...I swear mark my words one day im gong to go nuts and buy like a quarter million dollars worth of useless crap
Well, in that case, you're in much better shape than me...'cause I probably already have. :D

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
allhemi said:
Thats what I want....More HP!!!! Thats what I left ford and come to dodge in the first place.
Congrats on seeing the light.:D

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
allhemi said:
It don't take long to see the light when your getting you A$$ handed to you buy the hemi!!;)
Those were the taillights.;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
PhantomR/T said:
I will ALWAYS have a nasty, en-economical, bad for the environment, loud, annoying, sounding like death coming for you v8 or 2 in the garage. The beater car has to have at least 6 cyl too, or a FI 4-banger would be acceptable, but only as a beater car :D
I'm with this guy!!!! Except for the 4 banger part, I just can't do it.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
bad2cudagirl said:
I'm with this guy!!!! Except for the 4 banger part, I just can't do it.
I've only driven V6s and up but in a truck a V6~4-banger in a car.:(

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
ErikM3 said:
I agree cars are getting faster. I am a kid of the 80's which is possibly the worst time to be a car nut in the history of modern cars. I turned 16 in 1984 and my choices were the 180 hp IROC Z28 or 190 HP Mustang. Oh boy, even the Vette packing a lethal "Cross-Fire" injection...only 220 hp.
I couldn't afford an IROC Z-28 or Mustang GT anyway, it may have been a lousy time for Detroit but it was a great time to be young with a new driver's license. The Mopars of the muscle car era where cheap, plentiful and exciting at that time. They where everything that Detroit was putting out wasn’t.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Vanishing Point said:
I don't care what the goverment trys to do the HP war is here to stay this time..People have more money now days and there hunger for HP is real and thats what the big3 will give if it make them sales.

·
Registered
598 Posts
allhemi said:
I don't care what the goverment trys to do the HP war is here to stay this time..People have more money now days and there hunger for HP is real and thats what the big3 will give if it make them sales.
I disagree...That's why when the Demon-crat lie-berals get in their again,That's even more reason,..they'll want you to spend all that "more money now a days people you mentioned" on their high mileage, low hp,boring ass designed vehicles,(alternative)...and pass very strict penalties and restrictions they'll put on American auto manf. to force their hand to make such cars,...just ask most gun owners how they feel on the subject,..for that matter that's why we have soo many laws now passed from the past by them on emissions of everthing(man you can't even have a new lawn mower today without it having up to date high emissions on them,give me a break,its BS)!!.it'll be the same with the cars,...trust me watch and see.....Oh there'll be high performance cars,but alternative in nature in performance hp(as in low), and very alternative looking:eek:.....not for this Dude!;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts